Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1745604 times)

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #6860 on: May 15, 2020, 12:07:03 pm »
After over 10 years of service, it was time to upgrade to a cordless electric lawnmower. Perfect size and significantly lighter than the old one. Both 18 inches.

I had almost same B&D left model as yours, it serves me well for +/- 16 years. I tried cordless acid/lead batter lawnmower, the battery died the 2nd year, bigl deception. Bought the lowest cost cord electric mower I found as replacement, still in use today but my next one in few more years would be a cordless Lithium battery type.

Still works perfectly fine. Actually, is anyone interested in the old one? No charge.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #6861 on: May 15, 2020, 12:59:07 pm »
After over 10 years of service, it was time to upgrade to a cordless electric lawnmower. Perfect size and significantly lighter than the old one. Both 18 inches.

I had almost same B&D left model as yours, it serves me well for +/- 16 years. I tried cordless acid/lead batter lawnmower, the battery died the 2nd year, bigl deception. Bought the lowest cost cord electric mower I found as replacement, still in use today but my next one in few more years would be a cordless Lithium battery type.
yea, mine is LiIon (i think almost all new ones are now, i assume)...i do bring the batteries in during the winter...i'm not sure if i need to, but figured they would like it better stored in a box in the basement rather than sitting in a cold garage for 6 months.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #6862 on: May 19, 2020, 11:56:42 am »
The older boy hand washed and waxed the boat yesterday. What a huge help. Came out looking great.  We just used a Meguiar’s cleaner wax that will take out minor oxidation and scratches with the Porter Cable. Might add a coat of Poorboys EXP that I have sitting around for a little extra protection.

Also hauled and placed a half yard of river rock for the shrub beds. We had mulch but it tends to wash away And look like :censor: after a while. Looks much better with the rock. If I remember to get a couple pics I’ll post them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:34:42 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6863 on: May 19, 2020, 12:16:12 pm »
Splurged on a fancy knife sharpener, a Chef's Choice Trizor XV:

Has the ability to convert old style 20 degree knives to the new thinner 15 degree 'Japanese' style.

So far seems to be doing a great job, especially noticeable on our older knives. Does take a bit of grinding the first time

Seems to to be good on our nice Japanese chef knife one as well

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-knife-sharpening-tool/

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6864 on: May 19, 2020, 12:32:37 pm »
project farm did a knife sharpener review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBINMUdlJ14

does it have motor or do you just run the knife back and forth?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6865 on: May 19, 2020, 12:46:00 pm »
Motors on this one. Had a couple manual types before, quite a bit different using this, more like a workshop tool

Oddly it's much easier on the blade than the first one I had, and leaves a smoother edge than the other

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6866 on: May 21, 2020, 10:54:49 am »
The older boy hand washed and waxed the boat yesterday. What a huge help. Came out looking great.  We just used a Meguiar’s cleaner wax that will take out minor oxidation and scratches with the Porter Cable. Might add a coat of Poorboys EXP that I have sitting around for a little extra protection.

Also hauled and placed a half yard of river rock for the shrub beds. We had mulch but it tends to wash away And look like :censor: after a while. Looks much better with the rock. If I remember to get a couple pics I’ll post them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great!  One thing that irritates me about about mulch is that it blows all over the place when you mow, or use the grass trimmer around it and can make a real mess.  You also don't have to worry about rocks getting washed away by heavy rain either.  Rocks can be a pita cleaning leaves and other stuff out of it in the spring though.  I have a combination of both depending on the area. 

Curious about your boat though.  What model?  We are still thinking of buying a boat.   :-\

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #6867 on: May 21, 2020, 11:21:49 am »
Regal Eagle? Just a guess lol. looks great.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: May 21, 2020, 11:39:37 am »
Regal 1900.  Tailer is made by Eagle I guess.  She's an '08 with a carbureted 5.0.   Sounds awesome when you have it idling in the driveway with the water hooked up. 

Just noticed yesterday that there's no plate on the trailer.  Double checked my registrations and its registered/insured, whew.  Wonder where that plate went.  I can't even figure out where it would have been secured to the trailer, and I don't ever remember putting it on there.  Maybe when I got the plate I just chucked it, ha ha.  Or even more likely someone took it for themselves.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #6869 on: May 21, 2020, 11:45:07 am »

next time you wash it, you should try some Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating...that stuff seems pretty awesome, and it's not that expensive ($25?)...there's plenty of reviews of it on YouTube and most detailers actually say it's pretty good stuff.

https://www.turtlewax.com/media/3919/tw-us-hybrid-artwork_0003_hs-ceramic-spray-coating.jpg

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 03:00:31 pm by dirtyjeffer »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #6870 on: May 21, 2020, 12:03:06 pm »
Regal 1900.  Tailer is made by Eagle I guess.  She's an '08 with a carbureted 5.0.   Sounds awesome when you have it idling in the driveway with the water hooked up. 

Just noticed yesterday that there's no plate on the trailer.  Double checked my registrations and its registered/insured, whew.  Wonder where that plate went.  I can't even figure out where it would have been secured to the trailer, and I don't ever remember putting it on there.  Maybe when I got the plate I just chucked it, ha ha.  Or even more likely someone took it for themselves.

Nice!  Regal make a really nice boat, and those hulls are supposed to ride great.  I bet she moves with the 5.0 in it.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: May 21, 2020, 12:39:22 pm »

Nice!  Regal make a really nice boat, and those hulls are supposed to ride great.  I bet she moves with the 5.0 in it.

Ya, its really quick tortoise, and planes in no time.  The hull design makes it feel like you're driving on a road when at high speed, very little sliding on the water if you get what I mean.  I haven't driven a ton of boats but I've been impressed with this one.  The fuel injected version has another 50 horsepower...

I bought the boat in 2016 with 80 hours on it.  It was a good find. 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6872 on: May 21, 2020, 04:49:51 pm »
Really like the blue hull.   :thumbup:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: May 21, 2020, 05:39:00 pm »

next time you wash it, you should try some Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating...that stuff seems pretty awesome, and it's not that expensive ($25?)...there's plenty of reviews of it on YouTube and most detailers actually say it's pretty good stuff.

https://www.turtlewax.com/media/3919/tw-us-hybrid-artwork_0003_hs-ceramic-spray-coating.jpg

I'll have a look dj  :thumbup:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6874 on: May 22, 2020, 10:04:46 pm »
Well, I learned a lesson today.  Two years ago I took our pool down and stored it in the shed.  Big mistake!!!!  Mice ate their way through and nested in it.  Eight mouse sized holes!  I found this out after I bought a half Yard of sand and re-levelled the pool pad.

Anyway, a frantic search on Kijiji, and I found an almost identical pool, a 12' diameter 3.5' deep pool, brand new in box, still sealed, for $250.  Pics after I set it up.

This pool will get stored in our basement over winter!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:12:23 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6875 on: May 22, 2020, 11:19:37 pm »
I bought the boat in 2016 with 80 hours on it.  It was a good find

Looks it!  Today, new, that boat would be $60K out the door with all the covers, etc., :o    It boggles the mind the prices of anything that floats today. 

I think it was 2014, I bought a Merc 10hp ProKicker from Bass Pro in March for I think $2500 tax in.  Yes, it was an amazing on line deal. However, today that same motor runs $5K tax in.  Madness.  :P   

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: May 23, 2020, 03:40:22 pm »
Alright, ready for summer now

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6877 on: May 24, 2020, 07:59:07 pm »
Great thing to have particularly for price quoted.  How long did it take to fill assuming 1/2 inch supply and 50 psi supply?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: May 24, 2020, 10:48:44 pm »
Great thing to have particularly for price quoted.  How long did it take to fill assuming 1/2 inch supply and 50 psi supply?

About 6 hours.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #6879 on: May 25, 2020, 12:28:37 pm »
Best $60 I ever spent was on this sail purchased at Lowe’s a few years back. Makes great shade for the pergola.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?