Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1746077 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #6720 on: March 07, 2020, 08:48:25 am »
Bought a new washer/dryer. Wasn't fond of the brand, but deal was too good to pass up. Told them I wanted the pedestals and nearly fainted when the price jumped up $675!  Those things are $300 each!

Decided to build a pedestal out of wood. Designed one up on CAD and assembled it with my dad, as I hadn't seen him in a bit....plus he has a professional wood working shop.

This meant I had to borrow a pickup truck. After driving it, I remembered why I dislike trucks! And the I5 was thirsty! But it got the wood to/from where I needed.

Sold my old appliances and they're supposed to be picked up today.

Got the paint matched so pedestal is similar color to the appliances.

Once painted, I'll post pictures of my $60 pedestal.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6721 on: March 07, 2020, 09:06:32 am »
Bought a new washer/dryer. Wasn't fond of the brand, but deal was too good to pass up. Told them I wanted the pedestals and nearly fainted when the price jumped up $675!  Those things are $300 each!

Decided to build a pedestal out of wood. Designed one up on CAD and assembled it with my dad, as I hadn't seen him in a bit....plus he has a professional wood working shop.

This meant I had to borrow a pickup truck. After driving it, I remembered why I dislike trucks! And the I5 was thirsty! But it got the wood to/from where I needed.

You borrowed an old Colorado, and it reminded you why you dislike trucks?  No, no, no.  You dislike Colorado's.  They are not the shining embodiment of pickup trucks, and represent the worst of the breed.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: March 07, 2020, 09:12:17 am »
I've driven new/newer trucks. I've driven older trucks.

Same thing.

New, old (his was a 2012)...dislike trucks. Haven't driven one yet that I like. I think a Ridgeline has probably come closest to a truck I could live with...if I was forced (for some reason) to have a truck again. (Had an F-150 and a Sonoma back when I was racing motorcycles all the time)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:16:35 am by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #6723 on: March 07, 2020, 10:10:54 am »

my wife made a pretty robust pedestal set for our washer/dryer too...unfortunately, it didn't seem to work well...i don't have photos of it (it's gone now), but it was pretty beefy...during the rinse cycle, there was too much movement in it so we couldn't use it...the metal pedestals you buy don't look overly robust, but perhaps there's some special structural engineering involved in them...i think the pedestals were about 15" high, which perhaps was a couple inches higher than the "factory" ones...they're back on the floor now, but it would have been nice to get them up a bit...pulling clothes out of them is a bit of a PITA for me (bad back) because they are so low, but she usually does the laundry so i haven't felt the need to spend a small fortune on the "real" pedestals.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: March 07, 2020, 10:57:59 am »

my wife made a pretty robust pedestal set for our washer/dryer too...unfortunately, it didn't seem to work well...i don't have photos of it (it's gone now), but it was pretty beefy...during the rinse cycle, there was too much movement in it so we couldn't use it...the metal pedestals you buy don't look overly robust, but perhaps there's some special structural engineering involved in them...i think the pedestals were about 15" high, which perhaps was a couple inches higher than the "factory" ones...they're back on the floor now, but it would have been nice to get them up a bit...pulling clothes out of them is a bit of a PITA for me (bad back) because they are so low, but she usually does the laundry so i haven't felt the need to spend a small fortune on the "real" pedestals.
There are a number of anti vibration pads on the market if I have the issue

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #6725 on: March 07, 2020, 12:33:45 pm »
^^I picked mine up for the Samsung units off of Kijiji for $60 for the pair.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: March 07, 2020, 12:37:29 pm »

tried that kind of stuff too...i'm not sure why it didn't work...it was solid as a rock, but when the washer started its high speed spin cycle, it seemed to expose some flaw in the design/construction, but we couldn't figure out what it was...if you compared what she built to the metal OEM ones, her's appeared to be twice as robust, hence why she wanted to make her own...hopefully you have better luck with yours.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: March 07, 2020, 12:38:01 pm »
Railton
hmmm, that's a good idea...maybe i'll let her know to keep her eyes open in kijiji and marketplace.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: March 07, 2020, 02:01:26 pm »
Railton
I looked...none locally.

Which is why i built my own.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: March 07, 2020, 09:18:49 pm »

tried that kind of stuff too...i'm not sure why it didn't work...it was solid as a rock, but when the washer started its high speed spin cycle, it seemed to expose some flaw in the design/construction, but we couldn't figure out what it was...if you compared what she built to the metal OEM ones, her's appeared to be twice as robust, hence why she wanted to make her own...hopefully you have better luck with yours.
I'll be using this if I need to.

LBG Products Rubber Anti-Vibration Isolation Pads,4" X 4" X 7/8" Heavy Duty Blue EVA Isolation Pad for Air Conditioner,Compressors,HVAC,Treadmills etc(4 Pack) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07MCKTS5G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xafzEb7X1243G

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: March 07, 2020, 09:58:13 pm »

LBG Products Rubber Anti-Vibration Isolation Pads,4" X 4" X 7/8" Heavy Duty Blue EVA Isolation Pad for Air Conditioner,Compressors,HVAC,Treadmills etc(4 Pack) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07MCKTS5G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xafzEb7X1243G
we tried some isolation pads too (not those exact ones, but they were for washing machines, etc) and it didn't matter...as i said, i can't explain why it didn't work...the thing was solid AF...but once the spin cycle came on, there was too much movement.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: March 07, 2020, 10:13:20 pm »

we tried some isolation pads too (not those exact ones, but they were for washing machines, etc) and it didn't matter...as i said, i can't explain why it didn't work...the thing was solid AF...but once the spin cycle came on, there was too much movement.
I'll keep you posted!

Appliances don't her here until next Friday

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: March 08, 2020, 09:52:27 am »

I'll keep you posted!

please do.

i just thought of something...i wonder if it was the floor...maybe our concrete basement floor isn't 100% level, so perhaps there was a bit of a gap under it somewhere...doesn't make much of a difference for something sitting on it, but when it starts putting additional forces on it (spin cycle), it exposes things then...it didn't have "feet" that you can level...perhaps that was the weak point?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: March 08, 2020, 05:39:37 pm »

I'll keep you posted!

please do.

i just thought of something...i wonder if it was the floor...maybe our concrete basement floor isn't 100% level, so perhaps there was a bit of a gap under it somewhere...doesn't make much of a difference for something sitting on it, but when it starts putting additional forces on it (spin cycle), it exposes things then...it didn't have "feet" that you can level...perhaps that was the weak point?
Absolutely that would be my worry.

Add some of those feet levellers onto the bottom of the wife's platform and see how it goes.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: March 12, 2020, 01:33:53 pm »
Add some of those feet levellers onto the bottom of the wife's platform and see how it goes.
i think she already took it apart (it was kind of big and bulky to just have laying around).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6735 on: March 20, 2020, 02:57:20 pm »
It came today

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6736 on: March 20, 2020, 03:10:03 pm »
Awesome.  Details man!  Which brand, model, where you ordered it.  Been looking.   What are you doing for the 110 outlet?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6737 on: March 20, 2020, 03:19:21 pm »
So, cold toilet seats are a thing of the past? 

Please tell me this one has a sensor that raises the lid when you approach, too?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: March 20, 2020, 03:29:07 pm »
Awesome.  Details man!  Which brand, model, where you ordered it.  Been looking.   What are you doing for the 110 outlet?
http://cleantouch.ca/product/ub-6235/

Last Saturday Rona had a 25% sale
First I will just run an extension cord to a plug , if it is works I will install a plug

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: March 20, 2020, 03:31:15 pm »
So, cold toilet seats are a thing of the past? 

Please tell me this one has a sensor that raises the lid when you approach, too?
Those are the $1000 model
I did not get the one with remote , scared it would fall into the shitter  :rofl2: