Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1746895 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #6620 on: August 02, 2019, 09:06:05 pm »
Looks great Ron - nicely done!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #6621 on: August 04, 2019, 10:07:29 pm »
Very nice!  You’re a great husband.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6622 on: August 07, 2019, 05:40:07 pm »
changed Throttle position sensor at the front.

the CEL never came back after i reset the code, so i'm not sure if this will do anything, but the car's old, so it's probably about time.  online forums say that the one in the front is a lot more prone to failure, so i'm hoping it's this one.

(by the way, KD, my blutooth OBD2 reader is some knock off i got from amazon for $20 or so many many years ago.  can't remember exactly.  first time i actually got to use it)

and put on new rear emergency brake shoes.

it seems the old ones were fine as well, i just misread the amount of wear on them....

freakin pain in the a$$ to adjust.  put it all back together and it has NO bite, so i have to take the wheels off and re-adjust.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6623 on: August 11, 2019, 03:05:24 pm »
Had a plugged gutter on the high side of the house. After scaring myself on the wobbly aluminum ladder of the neighbours last year, researched extension ladders and picked up the Wirecutters recommendation on sale at Lowes, a 28ft fiberglass model rated 1A.

Very happy with it, much more solid and the 'feet' that could be set to dig into the lawn was a nice touch:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: August 11, 2019, 03:19:54 pm »

picked up the Wirecutters
I love that website...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6626 on: August 12, 2019, 04:16:31 pm »
1 A are nice
http://edit.webdev.wernerco.com/ca/en/support/ladder-safety-tips/how-to-choose-a-ladder

Yeah a little heavier, but the sturdiness makes a world of difference. The Wirecutter article was right on the money. One of my former co-workers broke his back falling off a ladder, it's not something I wanted to do

Was impressed the car brought it home, only the second time I've used that roof rack for anything

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: August 13, 2019, 05:54:07 pm »

Yeah a little heavier, but the sturdiness makes a world of difference. The Wirecutter article was right on the money. One of my former co-workers broke his back falling off a ladder, it's not something I wanted to do

My brothers arms ended up looking like a coat hanger when a ladder leg collapsed when he was carrying a load of shingles up to a roof.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6628 on: September 03, 2019, 10:58:45 am »
Picked up the shotgun that my uncle left to me. It's in better shape than I remembered, especially for something built in the 1880s.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6629 on: September 03, 2019, 12:49:56 pm »
Picked up the shotgun that my uncle left to me. It's in better shape than I remembered, especially for something built in the 1880s.

Congratulations, you're now a conservative.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6630 on: September 03, 2019, 01:58:08 pm »

Congratulations, you're now a conservative.

He may have to use it living in Osborne Village.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: September 03, 2019, 02:14:35 pm »
 :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #6632 on: September 04, 2019, 08:54:14 am »
Since it's been such a dry summer here, the lawnmower hadn't been used in probably 4 weeks or more now, my youngest went to start it on the weekend & it would fire up & then die right away. I messed around with it quickly to see if I could get it going, but no luck. So last night I tried, it fired up & then died... I added some fresh gas, still no go. Took off the plug, it was dry, but I gave it a quick cleaning anyways, still the same problem. I really didn't feel like taking the carb off to clean it, but figured that's what I was going to have to do... but since I was in a lazy mood all I did was take off the air breather assembly to get to the carb, then I pinched off the fuel line and took the bowl off the bottom of the carb, it's a highspeed mixture screw that holds the bowl on... so I cleaned it up & the bowl, sprayed a bit of carb cleaner into the carb from the bottom & top while it stayed on the lawnmower. I put it back together & fired it up & now it runs like a champ... took me about 15mins all together  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: September 04, 2019, 08:56:03 am »
^Nice!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: September 04, 2019, 09:28:04 am »
Since it's been such a dry summer here, the lawnmower hadn't been used in probably 4 weeks or more now, my youngest went to start it on the weekend & it would fire up & then die right away. I messed around with it quickly to see if I could get it going, but no luck. So last night I tried, it fired up & then died... I added some fresh gas, still no go. Took off the plug, it was dry, but I gave it a quick cleaning anyways, still the same problem. I really didn't feel like taking the carb off to clean it, but figured that's what I was going to have to do... but since I was in a lazy mood all I did was take off the air breather assembly to get to the carb, then I pinched off the fuel line and took the bowl off the bottom of the carb, it's a highspeed mixture screw that holds the bowl on... so I cleaned it up & the bowl, sprayed a bit of carb cleaner into the carb from the bottom & top while it stayed on the lawnmower. I put it back together & fired it up & now it runs like a champ... took me about 15mins all together  ;D
Have a Honda motor on our lawnmower , must be 15 years old , have not done any maintenance to it
Still starts on one pull  ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: September 04, 2019, 09:35:58 am »
Each of the last two years I've had to  pull apart the carb and clean it.  One year it was the jets ( your just remove the bowl trick would have been great), this year the needle.   I am pretty close to buying a new carb for it because otherwise it's bomber.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: September 04, 2019, 10:01:40 am »
Each of the last two years I've had to  pull apart the carb and clean it.  One year it was the jets ( your just remove the bowl trick would have been great), this year the needle.   I am pretty close to buying a new carb for it because otherwise it's bomber.

Amazon has carbs for like $18... they're almost disposable at that price!! Forget about a rebuild kit with those prices!!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: September 04, 2019, 10:03:39 am »
Have a Honda motor on our lawnmower , must be 15 years old , have not done any maintenance to it
Still starts on one pull  ;D

This is the 1st time this one acted up on me... I got it used off of a buddy a few years back, it's a Toro self propelled with a Brigs & Stratton motor 6.75hp 190cc motor  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: September 05, 2019, 08:49:50 am »
I bought a very small TENS machine...as recommended by my fav. product test site.

I didn't need it...but thought we'd need it someday

My leg was bothering me today, so I thought...why not.

Geez...this thing is fantastic.  About the size on an old iPhone..it's very small.  And with 24 different massage programs and 2 leads...so 4 total pads.

I highly recommend!

https://www.amazon.ca/Lifetime-Warranty-Stimulator-Massager-Sciatica/dp/B06XXDTC3W/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=tens+machine&qid=1562894637&s=gateway&sr=8-8
We have had a Dr Ho ( it is better because it "as seen on TV"  :rofl2:) for about 15 years , great on sore muscles, also the foot pads are good to use on long plane flights

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: September 05, 2019, 08:52:10 am »
Received my fully adjustable, king size bed base today. All the bells and whistles. Under bed lighting, USB ports, head and foot massage (gimmick), TV mode, zero gravity mode, custom presets, etc

Been wanting one for awhile and the 30 percent off sale in Canada day finally got me to pull the trigger.

Which bed did you get ? Split King ?
We have a single adjustable bed, but now it appears we both need an adjustable bed