Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1747308 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #6600 on: July 12, 2019, 06:16:48 pm »
Received my fully adjustable, king size bed base today. All the bells and whistles. Under bed lighting, USB ports, head and foot massage (gimmick), TV mode, zero gravity mode, custom presets, etc

Been wanting one for awhile and the 30 percent off sale in Canada day finally got me to pull the trigger.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6601 on: July 13, 2019, 06:41:26 pm »
I bought a new tire for the trailer.

When we bought the trailer, the seller assured me that two new tires had been installed under the trailer.  They looked decent, so I accepted the statement at face value, and didn't think about it. 

Fast forward to two weekends ago.  We very nearly suffered a blowout on one of the tires.  We only put about 5000 - 6000 kms on those tires, which seems like very little.  So I started digging.  Turns out the tires that the previous owner bought and installed were 5.30x12 (the correct size), but load rating B, good for only about 850lbs.  My trailer has a GVWR of 2300lbs, and when travelling I load it up with firewood, food, water, bikes, and the canoe.  So I'm probably pretty close to that max GVWR.  That is too much weight for Load Range B tires.  It goes a long way towards explaining why those tires didn't last long. 

So anyway, when I found the faulty tire, I replaced it with the spare tire, which I think is original to the trailer.  It was in new condition, and was load range C (1050lbs).  So I bought another 5.30x12C tire from Canadian Tire for $60.  Canadian Tire wanted $20 to mount it.  Another garage wanted $30, and fountain tire wanted $15.  Funnily enough, I took it to my Toyota Dealership next door to Canadian Tire, and they did it right away for $13.50.

So, I replaced the other load range B with the new tire, and relegated the Load Range B tire to the back of the trailer to act as our spare.  I now have two correctly rated tires as the main tires on my trailer. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #6602 on: July 15, 2019, 06:54:21 pm »

When we bought the trailer, the seller assured me that two new tires had been installed under the trailer.  They looked decent, so I accepted the statement at face value, and didn't think about it. 

Fast forward to two weekends ago.  We very nearly suffered a blowout on one of the tires.  We only put about 5000 - 6000 kms on those tires, which seems like very little.  So I started digging.  Turns out the tires that the previous owner bought and installed were 5.30x12 (the correct size), but load rating B, good for only about 850lbs.  My trailer has a GVWR of 2300lbs, and when travelling I load it up with firewood, food, water, bikes, and the canoe.  So I'm probably pretty close to that max GVWR.  That is too much weight for Load Range B tires.  It goes a long way towards explaining why those tires didn't last long. 

So anyway, when I found the faulty tire, I replaced it with the spare tire, which I think is original to the trailer.  It was in new condition, and was load range C (1050lbs).  So I bought another 5.30x12C tire from Canadian Tire for $60.  Canadian Tire wanted $20 to mount it.  Another garage wanted $30, and fountain tire wanted $15.  Funnily enough, I took it to my Toyota Dealership next door to Canadian Tire, and they did it right away for $13.50.

So, I replaced the other load range B with the new tire, and relegated the Load Range B tire to the back of the trailer to act as our spare.  I now have two correctly rated tires as the main tires on my trailer.

tires and bearings, once you have those sorted you should be trouble free.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #6603 on: July 15, 2019, 08:31:30 pm »

Thank God that nothing bad happened, and good on ya for taking the time to do a 360 check before going anywhere.  That situation had the potential for nightmare if it had gone unnoticed.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6604 on: July 18, 2019, 07:54:38 pm »
Got the Ring doorbell installed
The longest part was waiting for the battery to charge , it also wired into the old doorbell
Had to turn the  sensitivity way  down as it was picking up cars driving by  :rofl2:
Now just have to get it connected to google home

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: July 18, 2019, 08:05:43 pm »
The longest part was waiting for the battery to charge , it also wired into the old doorbell
Had to turn the  sensitivity way  down as it was picking up cars driving by  :rofl2:

If you still have problems with the sensitivity (it get worse in the winter due to an infrared sensor) Ring will send you free "wedges" that tilt the doorbell slightly down towards the ground.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6606 on: July 20, 2019, 06:51:31 pm »
Dug out my Bluetooth obd2 reader and read the code my Bimmer was throwing. 
Throttle position sensor.

Cleared the code, see if it comes back.
Also checked the overheating front brake.  Sliding pins are fine, so it seems it's the rebuilt calipers I put on.

Took it apart, pushed the pistons all the way out, and pushed it back in. Seems there's a slight catch in the movement.  Will see if it happens again.

Adjusted rear side brakes.  Seems I had it too close to the drum when I had rear rotor replaced.   

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: July 21, 2019, 08:40:24 am »

If you still have problems with the sensitivity (it get worse in the winter due to an infrared sensor) Ring will send you free "wedges" that tilt the doorbell slightly down towards the ground.
Was able to get Google home and ring to work together
https://assistant.google.com/services/a/uid/000000e4ac17fd8b?hl=en_ca

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6608 on: July 21, 2019, 06:59:23 pm »
Dug out my Bluetooth obd2 reader and read the code my Bimmer was throwing. 

What are you using?

Wife wanted something to replace the old downspout for the deck overhang, so she picked out this copper rain chain and it arrived Friday.  Good timing too as it rained hard pretty well all day so had a good chance to test it out.  Seems to have the desired effect as we just sat on the deck and stared at the thing for an hour or so, while it poured out.  It's quite mesmerizing...lol.  ;D Good quality thing too as it's all solid copped and well built.  I ordered an extension but it hasn't come in yet.  Right now i'm using a heavy wind chime as a counterweight but I'll anchor the extension to the rain barrel below once it gets delivered.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 07:12:38 pm by KD »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: July 21, 2019, 11:06:43 pm »
Designed a 25th Anniv. ring for IQ. Jewelry maker sent email yesterday saying they will start making it Monday.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6610 on: July 22, 2019, 08:38:43 am »
Well, that's pretty neat!
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: July 22, 2019, 10:05:32 am »
Well, that's pretty neat!
I designed her solitaire too!

These 2 add on bands will match up to her solitaire.

Excited to see how it turns out. A drawing I made is one thing...see the finished product is another.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6612 on: July 26, 2019, 11:29:32 am »
ordered Throttle position sensor and replacement side brake shoes off rockauto.

i haven't worked on a car in a while.  it's kinda soothing.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6613 on: July 27, 2019, 09:33:51 pm »

So, looks like I need a new doorbell and my wife is keen on the Ring (I guess we'd get the Ring 2.) Reviews? I'm mostly concerned about battery life, especially in the cold. And am I correct that you need to pay extra for that booster/chime thing if you want an actual doorbell, and not just a notice on your phone?

I'm actually kind of pissed about the whole thing, as our perfectly good, old-school doorbell stopped working recently. Figured it would be an easy fix, but after troubleshooting it seems that all the components work fine, so the issue has to be the wiring between the button and the transformer. WTF? Not about to pull apart the walls to rewire, so that means I'm stuck with wireless. And also means there won't even be power to the Ring, so I'll be relying on the battery it comes with.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: July 27, 2019, 11:09:06 pm »
Went to look at a used Seadoo.  My kid bought it. Comes with a trailer.  130 hp should be good.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6615 on: July 27, 2019, 11:46:07 pm »

So, looks like I need a new doorbell and my wife is keen on the Ring (I guess we'd get the Ring 2.) Reviews? I'm mostly concerned about battery life, especially in the cold. And am I correct that you need to pay extra for that booster/chime thing if you want an actual doorbell, and not just a notice on your phone?

I'm actually kind of pissed about the whole thing, as our perfectly good, old-school doorbell stopped working recently. Figured it would be an easy fix, but after troubleshooting it seems that all the components work fine, so the issue has to be the wiring between the button and the transformer. WTF? Not about to pull apart the walls to rewire, so that means I'm stuck with wireless. And also means there won't even be power to the Ring, so I'll be relying on the battery it comes with.
We love our Ring.

Do you at least have power at the front door?

If not...I'd say the transformer.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6616 on: July 28, 2019, 12:49:26 am »
^^ Yeah, transformer was my first thought, but it’s showing 21 V. And if I connect the bell directly to the transformer, it rings normally. Checked the push button at the front door with the multi meter, and it’s showing open/closed as it should. With the button removed, physically touching the wires together does nothing (bell should ring in that case.)

So, push button is fine, transformer is fine, the bell is fine, and the wiring from the transformer to the bell is fine. What else could it be?

Odd thing is that they used Cat5 wire to the front door. Figured that would at least give the chance to find another good set of wires in the bundle (only need two) but nope. Tried all 8 of them and everything is dead. Even tried connecting directly to the transformer to at least get 20 V power to the door, but nothing.

I think there must have been a nasty kink somewhere in the Cat5 and it finally broke. Maybe just from the house settling or something? ??? Seems crazy, but I can’t think of anything else. Those wires are tiny.

Oh, and just had the idea to twist pairs of wires together at the front door then go to the other end to check for continuity: as expected, nothing. Tried it with bundles of four: again, nada. I suppose I could try fishing in new wire, using the old one to pull it through, but I bet it would be a nightmare. No idea how they routed it, but it’s at least a 20’ run and it somehow crosses a hallway.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:20:11 am by HeliDriver »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: July 28, 2019, 07:30:49 am »

We are pretty happy with
We got the Ring classic on Prime Days so it was only $99 plus an Echo dot , besides that they are pricey for what they do  , I think
I wired it in, it is working with the doorbell in the house , so hopefully it wouldn't  have problems once it is cold out

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: August 02, 2019, 06:38:08 pm »
Many emails and several revisions later, I gave IQ her anniversary gift today...about week late.

Like her solitaire ring, I designed her bands too and I think they turned out pretty faithful to my rendered design.

With the solitaire there are 25 stones total...representing the length of our relationship in years.

I didn't solder them together yet...that's for her to decide. If it's comfortable enough for her to wear at work, I'll solder. If not, she'll continue with the solitaire only for work then add the bands when not at work. Her choice.

Light in my photo sucks....this ring sparkles so much it's blinding....particularly the solitaire.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: August 02, 2019, 07:58:23 pm »
Hey, you're an artist Ron.  :winner:
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...