Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1747829 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #3680 on: August 14, 2015, 06:40:40 pm »
^ The Thinkpads have always been clean. No superfish. I'd never buy consumer line stuff...what a cutthroat business that one is.

Just got a Raspberry Pi computer today.   pretty neat gadget, planning to use it as a 'net interface for my TV

What's the plan on the software side? I am curious.

I have a mini htpc upstairs too but it is a core i3 thing with Windows 8 etc. So a full computer, albeit slow. Flexible but as always I'm curious if I can miniaturize further.

I have a similar setup.  An i3 tower connected to the TV in the basement, but connected via ethernet to the router. Don't find it slow, because it's not used for gaming.  Has an older separate video card though, that is use for my hdmi out (onboard sucks).    Also added 3 USB 3 ports to it.  And it has 3 hard drives (7200 RPM).  Around 2 TB total, but none SSD, as the unit is always on, don't really see the point. 

Haven't thought much about software, just use VLC media player.

The odd time, my bluray player doesn't see the desktop.  Even after rebooting the desktop, the router, the bluray player it is unable to stream from the desktop.  Very intermittent. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #3681 on: August 14, 2015, 06:54:51 pm »
The freezer portion on my 7 year old LG fridge won't cool. Called almost every repair place and met with "we don't repair LG". Finally broke down and called LG Canada to get a service call. Turns out it's down about 75 percent of its refrigerant. He says it's a closed system, so no topping it up is allowed. Basically have to replace every component in freezer. Not worth it. He tells me to buy a new fridge...But don't buy an LG he says. I wasn't going to anyways due to lack of support. Repair guy says he services Frigidaire the least. A bit anecdotal, but it's his trade and living so I believe what he says.

So I bought a new Frigidaire side by side. Simple.  Also upgraded my 20 year stove to a Frigidaire Professional Series. Has a dedicated wok burner/rest and a huge center griddle burner...two things IQ uses frequently. Also the oven controls are only 2 dials..no overly complex digital pads. Kinda old school and refreshing. Not overly important since we rarely use the oven. Everything is robust and chunky.

So I went for a fridge and got a stove too.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3682 on: August 14, 2015, 07:10:42 pm »
Nice!  Appliance repair guy they feature Often on local CBC noon show advises against lg and Samsung for same reason.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3683 on: August 14, 2015, 07:18:00 pm »
Boss appliances.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3684 on: August 14, 2015, 07:26:25 pm »
Yeah when my GE broke I was told not to buy GE lol.  I bought an extended warranty on a Maytag which I hear are crap but it was cheap and I needed a fridge like today not 2 weeks from now (it still baffles me they won't keep these things in stock).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3685 on: August 14, 2015, 07:47:22 pm »
Yeah when my GE broke I was told not to buy GE lol.  I bought an extended warranty on a Maytag which I hear are crap but it was cheap and I needed a fridge like today not 2 weeks from now (it still baffles me they won't keep these things in stock).
Saw on a Maytag dishwasher box, that it was made by Samsung  :rofl2:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3686 on: August 14, 2015, 08:33:13 pm »
The freezer portion on my 7 year old LG fridge won't cool. Called almost every repair place and met with "we don't repair LG". Finally broke down and called LG Canada to get a service call. Turns out it's down about 75 percent of its refrigerant. He says it's a closed system, so no topping it up is allowed. Basically have to replace every component in freezer. Not worth it. He tells me to buy a new fridge...But don't buy an LG he says. I wasn't going to anyways due to lack of support. Repair guy says he services Frigidaire the least. A bit anecdotal, but it's his trade and living so I believe what he says.

So I bought a new Frigidaire side by side. Simple.  Also upgraded my 20 year stove to a Frigidaire Professional Series. Has a dedicated wok burner/rest and a huge center griddle burner...two things IQ uses frequently. Also the oven controls are only 2 dials..no overly complex digital pads. Kinda old school and refreshing. Not overly important since we rarely use the oven. Everything is robust and chunky.

So I went for a fridge and got a stove too.

On that stove I see all the burners seem to have a flat top and the flames coming out around the side.  I think that leaves a 'cool' spot on a Wok where one would want the hottest part. 90% of stoves seem to be that way.  Except of course the true professional stoves with the cross shaped burners.  I noticed a Samsung stove in Sears a few weeks back which had a burner that produces a ring of flame with a smaller ring of flame inside it with, over this burner, a cast iron grate that was specifically designed for a Wok.   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: August 15, 2015, 05:28:38 am »

On that stove I see all the burners seem to have a flat top and the flames coming out around the side.  I think that leaves a 'cool' spot on a Wok where one would want the hottest part. 90% of stoves seem to be that way.  Except of course the true professional stoves with the cross shaped burners.  I noticed a Samsung stove in Sears a few weeks back which had a burner that produces a ring of flame with a smaller ring of flame inside it with, over this burner, a cast iron grate that was specifically designed for a Wok.

My current one is is flat and the flames come over the top. You have to consider that the flat part is only about 50mm wide. So while technically the very center doesn't see the flames, it's gets very hot.

The new stove has the cast iron ring for the wok, so she'll likely be jonesing for a round bottom wok. She currently uses a very high quality flat bottom wok, which work better on stoves without a wok ring.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #3688 on: August 15, 2015, 07:02:51 am »
Nice looking stove.   Gas + classic rotary dials = win.

The majority of mainstream (i.e. not Wolf/Viking level, nor Miele/Bosch) appliances are Samsung and LG and packaged by the NA suppliers (Whirlpool, GE, etc).   Certainly true of washer/dryers:  Centre dial = LG, left dial = Samsung.   

The Koreans have volume built appliances nailed.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3689 on: August 15, 2015, 02:13:21 pm »
Nice looking stove.   Gas + classic rotary dials = win.

The majority of mainstream (i.e. not Wolf/Viking level, nor Miele/Bosch) appliances are Samsung and LG and packaged by the NA suppliers (Whirlpool, GE, etc).   Certainly true of washer/dryers:  Centre dial = LG, left dial = Samsung.   

The Koreans have volume built appliances nailed.
I do not think I have ever seen a gas stove that did not have rotary dials

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3690 on: August 16, 2015, 04:55:01 am »

I do not think I have ever seen a gas stove that did not have rotary dials

For the stovetop. But not for the oven. This was the only oven in a day's of appliance shopping that had dials for oven control

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3691 on: August 18, 2015, 03:50:47 pm »
Amsoil order arrived this morning right on queue.  Thanks Ron!  :thumbup:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: August 18, 2015, 05:37:14 pm »

Excellent!  Thanks for your order.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: August 18, 2015, 06:42:48 pm »

Is there a link to order through you?  Anybody want to split a larger order?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: August 18, 2015, 06:46:41 pm »

Just send me a PM.  Shipping fees are generally only $10-$16 or so.  Reasonable enough, but like you said, even better when split.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: August 18, 2015, 07:09:11 pm »

Just send me a PM.  Shipping fees are generally only $10-$16 or so.  Reasonable enough, but like you said, even better when split.

Not in any hurry, but if anybody wants to go in on 0W20, let me know.  (Burlington).  But GTA (COTU) is fine. 

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: September 08, 2015, 11:11:20 pm »
A long time ago I was given a set of Ryobi cordless tools.  Drill, circular saw & sander.  All of the tools currently work fine but the NIMH batteries no longer hold a charge.  Apparently all Nickel batteries do not like to sit unused for long periods of time.

I've been able to get but a combination of upcoming renovations and a stupid low price made buying this an easy decision.

$129 on sale.  This is cheaper than what it is listed for on homedepot.com.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/one-cordless-drill-and-impact-driver-kit-lithium-battery-18v/813488

The 2 batteries are compatible with the older tools.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3697 on: September 08, 2015, 11:21:20 pm »
A long time ago I was given a set of Ryobi cordless tools.  Drill, circular saw & sander.  All of the tools currently work fine but the NIMH batteries no longer hold a charge.  Apparently all Nickel batteries do not like to sit unused for long periods of time.

I've been able to get but a combination of upcoming renovations and a stupid low price made buying this an easy decision.

$129 on sale.  This is cheaper than what it is listed for on homedepot.com.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/one-cordless-drill-and-impact-driver-kit-lithium-battery-18v/813488

The 2 batteries are compatible with the older tools.

Interesting. The torque wrench is rated at 125 lb/ft. Can it be used to take off and put back a wheel's lug nuts? I had a 12V Crappy Tire torque wrench - a total POS although it was designed to do specifically that.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: September 08, 2015, 11:23:02 pm »
I really think you'd want a 1/2 in impact for that. 

I'm envisioning it being used for a deck and some drywalling in the basement.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3699 on: September 08, 2015, 11:28:39 pm »
I really think you'd want a 1/2 in impact for that. 

I'm envisioning it being used for a deck and some drywalling in the basement.
Yep. As a screwdriver they are great. But you can get an adapter I suppose from the hex to half inch. Lug nuts are torqued at around 90 lb. Can you try one and report back?  :D