Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1783089 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12435
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #8600 on: December 13, 2023, 12:59:57 pm »
I wouldn't say Apple is a cult,

Not literally, but I get where people are coming from when they say that.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #8601 on: December 13, 2023, 01:01:05 pm »
Ordered some vinyl storage stands about 6 weeks ago, finally arrived yesterday. Basically Ikea grade Chinese made stuff for Crosley Furniture. Tried to get a local cabinet guy to make me some, but he wasn't interested. Put them together today, seem solid enough. Loaded a few albums in to see how they'd look, now to load the rest... probably close to 600ish I figure. Each stand can hold around 320 albums.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Nice Vinyl collection!  My Dad use to have a lot of vinyl, close 6ft tall stacked.  When i started college i told my not to sell any as it would gain value and wanted all of them.  He gave them away!! :'(
Thanks! I currently have them stored in an Ikea bookshelf in my Son's room & some next to the couch. Put them there temporarily (7 months ago) while I was finishing this side of the basement & then shopping for stands.

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8602 on: December 13, 2023, 01:04:38 pm »
Beatles, Bob Marley, Holly Cole, Willie Nelson, Meatloaf, Stevie Wonder, Beach Boys ... you're like me, not sticking to one musical tribe!  :cheers:
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: December 13, 2023, 01:18:19 pm »
Beatles, Bob Marley, Holly Cole, Willie Nelson, Meatloaf, Stevie Wonder, Beach Boys ... you're like me, not sticking to one musical tribe!  :cheers:
Yeah, all over the map... lotsa Johnny Cash, Elvis, Corb Lund, Neil Diamond, Velvet Underground, Amy Whinehouse, Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden, Michael Buble, The Police... on & on... Actually going to see Holly Cole this evening at the National Arts Centre here in town.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8604 on: December 13, 2023, 01:28:34 pm »
Yeah, all over the map... lotsa Johnny Cash, Elvis, Corb Lund, Neil Diamond, Velvet Underground, Amy Whinehouse, Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden, Michael Buble, The Police... on & on... Actually going to see Holly Cole this evening at the National Arts Centre here in town.

Cool !!!

I have AC/DC, Lana DelRay, the Moody Blues, Beatles, Styx and the London Philiarmonic sharing a CD drawer.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #8605 on: December 13, 2023, 01:57:21 pm »
I wouldn't say Apple is a cult, as long as you know what the advantages and limitations are.  If the piece of software you would like to use works best on a Mac, then it's the one for you. 

Their M2 chip is certainly a powerhouse.  That being said, with only 512GB of storage you may find yourself quickly running out of storage if you're dealing with lots of 4K videos.  A large external drive, or a NAS will be a must for you.

Yeah upgrades like hard drive space or RAM is where they get you.   I have a 4TB external HDD and I'll Also get a 1 or 2 TB SSB Thunderbolt to work on directly.  I like my main hard drive clean usually, only for software and minimal stuff.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8606 on: December 13, 2023, 02:07:01 pm »
I wouldn't say Apple is a cult, as long as you know what the advantages and limitations are.  If the piece of software you would like to use works best on a Mac, then it's the one for you. 

Their M2 chip is certainly a powerhouse.  That being said, with only 512GB of storage you may find yourself quickly running out of storage if you're dealing with lots of 4K videos.  A large external drive, or a NAS will be a must for you.

Yeah upgrades like hard drive space or RAM is where they get you.   I have a 4TB external HDD and I'll Also get a 1 or 2 TB SSB Thunderbolt to work on directly.  I like my main hard drive clean usually, only for software and minimal stuff.

I would say that's one of the biggest downsides to running a Mac - their lack of modularity.  Most PC's, even cheaper pre-built models, are fully modular, and it's fairly easy to install more memory, additonal harddrives, a better graphics adapter, network or video capture cards, etc.  A Mac, on the other hand, is completely locked down these days.  I don't think you can even change out the memory any more.  It's sautered to the motherboard.  As such, you need to accuratly predict how much memory you'll require over the course of the machine's lifespan, and pay for it all up front. 

FWIW, I may be a little biased.  I've been into custom building my own high end PC"s for a couple of decades now.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 02:08:44 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: December 13, 2023, 02:13:30 pm »

I would say that's one of the biggest downsides to running a Mac - their lack of modularity.  Most PC's, even cheaper pre-built models, are fully modular, and it's fairly easy to install more memory, additonal hard drives, a better graphics adapter, network or video capture cards, etc.  A Mac, on the other hand, is completely locked down these days.  I don't think you can even change out the memory any more.  It's sautered to the motherboard.  As such, you need to accuratly predict how much memory you'll require over the course of the machine's lifespan, and pay for it all up front.

You're right about the rams they are welded into the board.  I think it's because now it is now integrated into the processor (i was told).   I did some research on  PCs and they are for sure a better bang for your buck but it's annoying trying to figure out all they spec/newer versions...etc  unless you're into that stuff.  I don't game anymore and I have no time for it so I don't really need a PC.    The other reason is how specialize MAC is for processing H265 codec which is want my videos are.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8608 on: December 13, 2023, 03:06:25 pm »
I just replaced my 2011 iMac. It was one of the last ones where you could add RAM. I bought it with 8GB and added another 8GB (the max) a few years later when it started to get slow.

My mom still has a 2012 with 8GB and that thing is a nightmare. It’s just stupidly slow, but it’s impossible to add more memory. Not that you’d bother at this point, but still.

Replaced mine with a new iMac when they came out in November. 16GB of memory, but it’s “unified”, which I believe means it’s part of the CPU and not separate. They say it performs like 32GB of traditional RAM. Anyway, it’s what I’m stuck with, as of course you can’t add any more. We’ll see if I get a dozen years out of this one too.  :)

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: December 13, 2023, 03:21:47 pm »
I just replaced my 2011 iMac. It was one of the last ones where you could add RAM. I bought it with 8GB and added another 8GB (the max) a few years later when it started to get slow.

My mom still has a 2012 with 8GB and that thing is a nightmare. It’s just stupidly slow, but it’s impossible to add more memory. Not that you’d bother at this point, but still.

Replaced mine with a new iMac when they came out in November. 16GB of memory, but it’s “unified”, which I believe means it’s part of the CPU and not separate. They say it performs like 32GB of traditional RAM. Anyway, it’s what I’m stuck with, as of course you can’t add any more. We’ll see if I get a dozen years out of this one too.  :)

What color did you choose?  :P

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8610 on: December 13, 2023, 03:32:31 pm »
^^ Haha, I very briefly considered the blue, but decided to stick with silver. Boring but unobtrusive.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: December 13, 2023, 05:24:24 pm »
My old HP laptop wasn't able to update to the latest version of Windows, or the suite of MS Products as part of my 365 account so I picked up a new one on Black Friday. Gotta Lenovo Ideapad, 16" screen & a full keyboard, running an AMD Ryzen 5 7535U, 512GB SSD & 16GB of RAM. Ran it by my youngest who's into building gaming PC's & he gave me the green light :rofl:

It was just over $900 all in & I'll put it against my corporation as an business expense. Really should buy one every couple of years & do that. Last one has to be 10yrs old now... at least.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: December 13, 2023, 06:09:26 pm »
^^ Nice!

I still have an Asus Zenbook running Windows 10. It’s not capable of running Windows 11, but I’m okay with that. Still perfectly functional, so I’ll probably hang onto it for as long the security updates last.

I’ve got Excel 2016 on it and that’s all I need. Looked into the 365 thing when I bought the iMac, but decided just to pay the 90 bucks once and get the current version of Excel. I still had Excel 2010 on the old IMac.  :rofl:

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: December 14, 2023, 09:36:31 am »
^^ Nice!

I still have an Asus Zenbook running Windows 10. It’s not capable of running Windows 11, but I’m okay with that. Still perfectly functional, so I’ll probably hang onto it for as long the security updates last.

I’ve got Excel 2016 on it and that’s all I need. Looked into the 365 thing when I bought the iMac, but decided just to pay the 90 bucks once and get the current version of Excel. I still had Excel 2010 on the old IMac.  :rofl:

Yeah I also have an old PC laptop with windows 10 , I think.  it's  a dinosaurs but Excel, outlook and surfing the internet is the only thing it's good for.    I actually have 2 other laptop and 2 towers just collecting dust. all of them are 15 years ++. I need to go see what's on the hard drives before I throw them away.  the 2 tower i think the motherboard fried. I need some kind of hard driver reader

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8614 on: December 14, 2023, 09:46:16 am »
^^ Nice!

Yeah I also have an old PC laptop with windows 10 , I think.  it's  a dinosaurs but Excel, outlook and surfing the internet is the only thing it's good for.    I actually have 2 other laptop and 2 towers just collecting dust. all of them are 15 years ++. I need to go see what's on the hard drives before I throw them away.  the 2 tower i think the motherboard fried. I need some kind of hard driver reader

Pull the drives, toss the rest.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8615 on: December 14, 2023, 10:15:25 am »
^^ Nice!

Pull the drives, toss the rest.

Once my old PCs can't support Windows I usually convert them to Linux, (LinuxMint, Ubuntu) and get a few more years out of them.   My desktop has been like this since WindowsXP and it's still running great, I usually have 40 tabs open in my browser and it can handle that and play video to my TV.
It's all free and not very difficult to use.   You can load it all on a USB stick, boot from the stick and see how it looks without even installing anything if you want to try it out.
Mr Pickypants

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #8616 on: December 17, 2023, 12:11:50 pm »
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001WHOV64

Vessel impact driver. The price seems reasonable. Rusty screws, here I come  :D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8617 on: December 17, 2023, 12:14:57 pm »

Vessel makes decent stuff, at least I like their screwdrivers.   Do take note though that the bits are JIS, not Phillips.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #8618 on: December 17, 2023, 12:17:18 pm »

Vessel makes decent stuff, at least I like their screwdrivers.   Do take note though that the bits are JIS, not Phillips.

Yup. That's actually what I 'googled' for. I think japanese cars and other things are more likely to have JIS than PH screws.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: December 17, 2023, 10:35:56 pm »

what is that? the screws tripper 5000 😆.