Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1783123 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #8540 on: November 10, 2023, 04:53:36 pm »
We live on a hill about 20 feet above the street and our sewer line is a straight shot out to the main. I flush everything.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #8541 on: November 10, 2023, 04:58:32 pm »
I don't give a $hit about this thread  :rofl2:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #8542 on: November 10, 2023, 06:07:20 pm »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: November 10, 2023, 06:09:16 pm »

Stupendous reference!!

You win this thread!! LOL [emoji38]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8544 on: November 10, 2023, 07:36:46 pm »
We have a weird setup here too. Wastewater runs to a sump buried in the driveway, then gets pumped to the sewer line under the street.

About a year after install, we had an issue with the sump pump running constantly, so I pulled the lid to figure out what was going on. Opened it up and found a gross mess of cement-like papier mache gumming up the whole thing. Float was jammed up so the pump wouldn't shut off.

The "papier mache" was a gummed up mess of Charmin TP. That stuff is nice to use, but too thick to break down properly. Convinced the wife to switch to Kirkland brand TP and haven't had a problem since.

That's interesting because the guy who recently pumped our septic tanks specifically warned against using Kirkland brand as he found it didn't break down well in a septic system.

Yeah, I’m sure there are better choices. Kirkland is pretty thick, just not as thick as Charmin. Seems to work well enough for our situation, but I expect the 1-ply, no-name stuff would be even better. Not really interested in trying it out.  :P  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: November 11, 2023, 12:19:42 am »
We have a weird setup here too. Wastewater runs to a sump buried in the driveway, then gets pumped to the sewer line under the street.

About a year after install, we had an issue with the sump pump running constantly, so I pulled the lid to figure out what was going on. Opened it up and found a gross mess of cement-like papier mache gumming up the whole thing. Float was jammed up so the pump wouldn't shut off.

The "papier mache" was a gummed up mess of Charmin TP. That stuff is nice to use, but too thick to break down properly. Convinced the wife to switch to Kirkland brand TP and haven't had a problem since.

That's interesting because the guy who recently pumped our septic tanks specifically warned against using Kirkland brand as he found it didn't break down well in a septic system.

Yeah, I’m sure there are better choices. Kirkland is pretty thick, just not as thick as Charmin. Seems to work well enough for our situation, but I expect the 1-ply, no-name stuff would be even better. Not really interested in trying it out.  [emoji14]  :)
I know people SWEAR by Amazon Presto brand. Fanatical.

Super soft and plush, septic safe, RV safe and one of the fastest and easiest dissolving papers on the market.

Plenty swear it's the best they've ever used.

I'd for sure give it a shot if I were you guys with questionable sewage drains.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #8546 on: November 22, 2023, 06:56:48 pm »
Went "off grid" with my tire inflator 8)  Under load the voltage drops to around 12V judging by the pump's RPM. The resistor (green thing) heats up a bit but ultimately everything works perfect.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8547 on: November 23, 2023, 04:42:09 pm »
I bought a replacement home furnace control panel. The panel in the other furnace died three years ago and I replaced it so I figured this one was due and it is handy to have the replacement on hand. What is weird is that Amre Supply has these listed for $300 while I found one on Amazon for $200. It was fulfilled by Amre Supply. WTF   ???   do brick and mortar stores want to put themselves out of business?

Anyhow here is to 20 years more  of blissful mid efficiency furnace experience.   ;D

« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 04:45:29 pm by ktm525 »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +128/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
« Reply #8548 on: November 24, 2023, 12:41:23 pm »
^ Along the same line, got a few quotes for a garage heater install and decided on one and will be installed on Tuesday.  I'm really looking forward to having a heated garage; should have done it years ago but the price is a hard pill to swallow for something that's so simple. 

Also ordered OEM style fender flares for the Tundra.  A site had 10% off so I went ahead with it.  That's also another hard pill to swallow for 4 pieces of plastic.  I mentioned previously in another thread that the newly painted fenders are getting chewed up so I need to protect them.  They'll likely be rusting in no time again.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #8549 on: November 24, 2023, 12:58:36 pm »
^ Along the same line, got a few quotes for a garage heater install and decided on one and will be installed on Tuesday.  I'm really looking forward to having a heated garage; should have done it years ago but the price is a hard pill to swallow for something that's so simple. 

Also ordered OEM style fender flares for the Tundra.  A site had 10% off so I went ahead with it.  That's also another hard pill to swallow for 4 pieces of plastic.  I mentioned previously in another thread that the newly painted fenders are getting chewed up so I need to protect them.  They'll likely be rusting in no time again.

What's the $ damage, approximately?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8550 on: November 24, 2023, 02:11:53 pm »

What's the $ damage, approximately?

3k plus taxes, so $3330 here in SK.  Thats for a small garage 2 car garage.

I thought about doing all the grunt work myself, then finding a plumber that would get permit and connect the gas.  However, the components are so expensive it wouldn't have saved me much.  For instance, a vent kit from Princess Auto is $600+tax.   And that may not have all the fittings you need.  Just an elbow is about $100. Then there's the heater, electrical, gas piping, mounting materials, etc.  Add it all up and your at about 2k just in materials if you source yourself.  Then try and find a guy that will do the connection only.  I asked two plumbers and they said they wouldn't touch it if they weren't doing the work.

Would be great if I had a plumber buddy that could source the parts for cost and install for a nice bottle of their choice.   :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 02:15:35 pm by bridgecity »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #8551 on: November 24, 2023, 02:43:00 pm »
^^ Thanks and yes, for this kind of stuff, let someone else install it, especially dealing with gas.

Online JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #8552 on: November 24, 2023, 03:12:37 pm »
Heated garage would be good for my workouts, lol. But yeah, that's a tough pill to swallow.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8553 on: November 24, 2023, 03:22:09 pm »

NG licensed pipe fitter is a must for insurance purposes.  My NG/propane fitter is the opposite.  He wants all the heat source bits installed by us before he shows up to do the piping which still takes quite a while when using threaded steel pipe.

What style of heater is this.  You hanging it off the ceiling? 

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #8554 on: November 24, 2023, 03:28:37 pm »
  Anyone here had a treadmill for a long time with decent use?

We been looking for a treadmill for a while as we run quite a bit so we would like something fairly reliable.  We have a cheap one and it's been real good but it's about to fall apart and I'm way too heavy for it.

https://treadmillfactory.ca/products/horizon-7-8-at-treadmill-2022

https://treadmillfactory.ca/products/pre-sale-2022-horizon-t101-treadmill

https://treadmillfactory.ca/products/nordictrack-commercial-treadmill-1250-ntl14124

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8555 on: November 24, 2023, 04:49:20 pm »
A local private fitness centre was closing so my son bought one of their commercial grade treadmills.  Huge friggin thing.  Never uses it. :rofl2:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: November 24, 2023, 05:06:28 pm »

NG licensed pipe fitter is a must for insurance purposes.  My NG/propane fitter is the opposite.  He wants all the heat source bits installed by us before he shows up to do the piping which still takes quite a while when using threaded steel pipe.

From what the one plumber/gas fitter explained to me is that when the inspector shows up, he looks at everything, including the venting.  He doesn't want shoddy work associated with himself.  Reputation with the inspector means something.  Just to be clear, I never considered not having a ticketed gas fitter do the work.

Yes, hung from the ceiling, NG unit heater. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8557 on: November 24, 2023, 06:03:53 pm »
I looked into a NG heater for garage but due to gas meter on other side of house it was essentially a no go without being very expensive and ugly. Ended up getting a 220V plug put into garage and I run a  small (4800W) electric heater unit on days I want to work on stuff in garage.  It takes a few hours for the heater to take the space from 0 to 15 (on a cold day) but then holds it nice. My garage has the roof insulated (open trusses) which doesn't help since there is a ton of airspace. Anyhow about $300 for the plug and $150 for the heater.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8558 on: November 24, 2023, 07:24:44 pm »

From what the one plumber/gas fitter explained to me is that when the inspector shows up, he looks at everything, including the venting.  He doesn't want shoddy work associated with himself.  Reputation with the inspector means something.  Just to be clear, I never considered not having a ticketed gas fitter do the work.

Yes, hung from the ceiling, NG unit heater.

Interesting the difference between over regulated Ontario and SASK (I assume).  No inspectors required for NG or propane in ON.

Here's how it works here.  If it's NG, Enbridge will come into the premises and do the very first lighting of any NG appliance only once.  The Propane people do the same thing.  They do this only once to measure the pressures and make sure the regulators are in spec.  After that you never see them again.

After that, no permit required for any alterations/additions.  The use of a licensed gas fitter is for insurance purposes only.

Regarding gas licenses in Ontario; our HVAC guy is a long time acquaintance. Georgian College has a campus in Owen Sound that is a renowned Great Lakes Marine Transport school.  https://www.georgiancollege.ca/marine-training/  So a serious College.  Chef school to boot.

It did teach and certify gas fitters and this fellow taught the course for limited semesters because demand was low.  Terminated during COVID.  The kicker is that participants can obtain a Ontario gas license WITHOUT every doing a single connection in the field!  So if some company sends a really young installer to your premises in Ontario watch him carefully.  Do your own leak test after he leaves.  :P
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 07:26:29 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: November 24, 2023, 07:57:10 pm »
^Crown corp here. They show up to inspect most installations, big or small. Sometimes they don’t come, sometimes it’ll be years. Not kidding. You never know. Typical crown corp.