Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1783144 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #8380 on: April 26, 2023, 07:14:39 pm »
Yeah, I'd love to stick one of those over my driveway, bet I could get about 24 hours before by-law enforcement is knocking.

Nice cheap way to get some extra shelter though if the by-laws are lax.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8381 on: April 26, 2023, 07:21:36 pm »
The city zoning ok with that between the houses? They would not be here with fire codes and such.
Good question.  Here’s the thing and my reasoning, there are the soft top type carports all around the city, I think because they are temporary and moveable that they can pass.  I guess I will see if this is an issue once it’s up. 

Edit: the neighbours across the street had a big soft top one beside his house to store his 24 foot boat, so I don’t see how this is any different.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 07:25:31 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8382 on: April 26, 2023, 07:56:29 pm »
The soft top ones look like a$$ especially after a year or so. The hardtop version is better but are you allowed to straddle a property line with a structure? Tornado picks that thing up and flings it into the place across the street. Whose insurance is paying?  ??? ;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #8383 on: April 26, 2023, 08:07:37 pm »
The soft top ones look like a$$ especially after a year or so. The hardtop version is better but are you allowed to straddle a property line with a structure? Tornado picks that thing up and flings it into the place across the street. Whose insurance is paying?  ??? ;D

Hah, reminds me how many trampolines I saw spread across PEI after hurricane Fionna.  Some landed in the weirdest places.  Probably the thing that struck me the most about that event. 

I thought about getting something like a temp enclosure for storing the boat in winter but gave up on that idea.  Mostly because there's no proper area to put one.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8384 on: April 26, 2023, 08:53:44 pm »
Saw this amazing deal on a hard top car port so bought it.  It’s pretty much the perfect size to cover the space between mine and the neighbours house.  He’s paying for half of it and will help put it together.  After shipping and taxes it was just a bit more than $1,600 a piece. 

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/arrow-carport-20-x-24-charcoal-20-in-x-24-in/6000200550441

Why are you needing a 20 foot wide one  ???   Well on the neighbour's property?  It makes no sense.  ::)  What's wrong with a 12 footer?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8385 on: April 26, 2023, 09:26:17 pm »
Wind is the enemy for sure, but between houses and properly anchored I think it'll be fine. I had the soft top ones (with sides) in the yard at my grandmother's place for 10+ years; had them in the best possible conditions though....very little wind (blocked by buildings/trees/fence) and limited sun (heavily treed area), which meant they held up well and I never had any issues.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #8386 on: April 26, 2023, 09:38:22 pm »
Whoa! I missed the part where your sharing it with the neighbor.  Really bad idea imo.  We agreed to let the neighbor at our old cottage use our shed for storing some of his stuff and that didn't go well.  He started coming over at the break of dawn to rummage through stuff and bang things around.  Drove us all nuts! Not something I'd ever do again.   

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8387 on: April 26, 2023, 10:11:48 pm »
Wind is the enemy for sure, but between houses and properly anchored I think it'll be fine. I had the soft top ones (with sides) in the yard at my grandmother's place for 10+ years; had them in the best possible conditions though....very little wind (blocked by buildings/trees/fence) and limited sun (heavily treed area), which meant they held up well and I never had any issues.

Again, why does it need to be 20 feet wide?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8388 on: April 27, 2023, 07:29:52 am »
Okay, to answer peoples questions.  So my neighbor and I were chatting a few weeks ago, I mentioned my plan on buying a hard top carport, likely a 10 foot by 20 foot.  When he asked to see what I was looking at, he said that he would love to have one, which lead to my mentioning that they made wider versions.  He said that he would love to have covered parking and would go halfies on a bigger one.

Then I was online browsing my usual sites to see if any deals are around and found the carport above.  That lead to me discussing the idea seriously with my wife and then the neighbor as I wasn't sure if he was 100% serious.  He's an engineer, so he definitely over thinks things from time to time.  We measured the space between the two houses (this is the best picture I have of the space between the two houses).  It's 25 feet from his exterior wall to our exterior wall and the length of the houses is around 28 feet, so basically it'll cover the entirety of the space between our two houses but leave space for our two heat pumps (both located on the driveway sides of our houses) and we should be able to get our snow blowers between the two rows of cars in the winter.  So essentially my side will be 10X24 and his the same.  If for whatever reason he were to leave (no plans of that) he would either give the option to the next owner to keep the arraignment or we'd sell it and split the money. 

He's a single guy in his mid 50's, really nice guy and no trouble at all.  He's respectful and will lend a hand when needed.  While there is always the chance that this goes sideways, I don't think the probability is very high. 

Being an engineer he wanted to know the snow weight limit and it's 35 pounds per square foot, which to me sounds decent but he said it's a little low.  I have a hard top gazebo (strangely made by the same company as the carport) and we use a snow rake to take the snow off it if there is any real amount accumulated on it.  We will just do that with this carport as well.  He already has a plan in place on how to anchor it into the driveway.  This is not out in the open, as you can see in the picture, it's sheltered on two sides with our houses and on the back side is our two sheds, mine being closer to the driveway than his.  The wind in our area typically comes from my side to his side, so my house will block the majority of it.  For reference, the hard top gazebo that we had was in our back yard and is much more out in the open, it's lighter, and the first year we just anchored it to 4 patio stones, it didn't budge, now it's screwed to our deck, again, hasn't moved. 

Why did I choose to go with a big one instead of just getting a smaller one for my own yard?  Well I knew he was interested, the price was amazing on this one, it gives me more room under cover, he'll help me put it together and maintain it, and there was a chance that I got a smaller one and then he gets a similar one which would mean less space between our two vehicles and more of a hassle to get the snow blower from the shed to the driveway. 

For just over $1,600 I should have enough space to fit my Civic and maybe my future sports car (Supra should fit fine).  Our neighborhood is typically very friendly and easy going, no disputes or fights that I'm aware of, so I doubt anyone will complain.  This is out of the site line of the houses across the street as it's a court and the two houses are set facing the other way, coming down the street the structure would be hidden by our two houses, so really you'd have to be right in front of the house to see it. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8389 on: April 27, 2023, 08:20:37 am »
Hope no one complains about it.  ;D

Portable Garages

(a) A portable garage may be located within the required front yard setback between October 15 and April 15 inclusive, provided that the structure is set back a minimum of 1 metre from the front and side property lines despite Section 4.2(3)(c).

https://www.fredericton.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/Z-5/section7.pdf

Edit: Actually, reading that again, it sounds like this only applies to portable garages within the front yard setback. I think your setup will be a bit of a grey area when it comes to zoning.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:36:34 am by OliverD »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: April 27, 2023, 08:52:34 am »

Portable Garages

(a) A portable garage may be located within the required front yard setback between October 15 and April 15 inclusive, provided that the structure is set back a minimum of 1 metre from the front and side property lines despite Section 4.2(3)(c).

Edit: Actually, reading that again, it sounds like this only applies to portable garages within the front yard setback. I think your setup will be a bit of a grey area when it comes to zoning.
Hmmmm, I always hate the wording of these things, so does "front yard setback" mean the front yard (implying in front of the house), if so it doesn't really state anything about side or back yard portable garages. 

I should really take a couple of current photos of the area to better illustrate where it would be and how it would be viewed from the street and neighbors. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #8391 on: April 27, 2023, 09:24:59 am »

Portable Garages

Hmmmm, I always hate the wording of these things, so does "front yard setback" mean the front yard (implying in front of the house), if so it doesn't really state anything about side or back yard portable garages. 

I should really take a couple of current photos of the area to better illustrate where it would be and how it would be viewed from the street and neighbors.

Front yard setback is your front property line, so where your actual property starts on the street facing side. Usually the city owns about 4' of land between the end of the street and your house, and this is generally used to run utilities. So your front property line would start about 4' from where the street ends (curb, etc) and then you have to be 1 meter off of that on the front. And then you need to be 1m from the side property line, which you are completely throwing out the window by covering both driveways with the same shelter.

If someone complains & bylaw has to come and check it out, you will most likely have to take it down. If no one complains you'll be fine and be able to keep it. It's not worth your time to apply for a variance with the city as that will take forever and likely get shot down. Best to ask for forgiveness instead of permission in this case  ;)
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: April 27, 2023, 09:29:42 am »

Portable Garages

Front yard setback is your front property line, so where your actual property starts on the street facing side. Usually the city owns about 4' of land between the end of the street and your house, and this is generally used to run utilities. So your front property line would start about 4' from where the street ends (curb, etc) and then you have to be 1 meter off of that on the front. And then you need to be 1m from the side property line, which you are completely throwing out the window by covering both driveways with the same shelter.

If someone complains & bylaw has to come and check it out, you will most likely have to take it down. If no one complains you'll be fine and be able to keep it. It's not worth your time to apply for a variance with the city as that will take forever and likely get shot down. Best to ask for forgiveness instead of permission in this case  ;)
That's solid advise and information.  Definitely a grey area.  Do you think it would be worth my time to talk to neighbors before putting it up?  There are really only a couple that could see it from their house (but none from their front windows).  I'm a pretty friendly guy, so it's not too big of an issue for me to go talk to a few people.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #8393 on: April 27, 2023, 09:36:13 am »
Step One would be to assess if any of your neighbours are in violation of any variances, which you can then lord over them  :rofl2:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8394 on: April 27, 2023, 09:37:47 am »

Portable Garages

That's solid advise and information.  Definitely a grey area.  Do you think it would be worth my time to talk to neighbors before putting it up?  There are really only a couple that could see it from their house (but none from their front windows).  I'm a pretty friendly guy, so it's not too big of an issue for me to go talk to a few people.

Do your neighbors also like the guy you're gonna share the shelter with? If so, then maybe mention it and ask if anyone would have an issue with it, and perhaps show them a picture of it? If they don't like the guy you're gonna share it with, then just put it up and see if anyone complains.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: April 27, 2023, 09:38:35 am »
Step One would be to assess if any of your neighbours are in violation of any variances, which you can then lord over them  :rofl2:

Yeah, a little tit for tat kinda deal goes a long way  ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: April 27, 2023, 09:41:44 am »

Portable Garages

Do your neighbors also like the guy you're gonna share the shelter with? If so, then maybe mention it and ask if anyone would have an issue with it, and perhaps show them a picture of it? If they don't like the guy you're gonna share it with, then just put it up and see if anyone complains.
He's pretty low key, I doubt anyone even knows his name other than me and his neighbor on the other side.  I can certainly talk to the young couple across the street from us whose side yard faces our driveway.  I doubt they'll care, and we have a good relationship as I have blown their driveway a few times when they first moved in and didn't have a snow blower.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +128/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
« Reply #8397 on: April 27, 2023, 09:44:25 am »
Setbacks vary greatly between municipalities and how your property is zoned. If you’re not aware of your zoning and aren’t familiar with how to find that info and what your setbacks are in the zoning bylaw, best to call city hall. But don’t assume a certain distance.

In this case, since you’ve already bought it, I would likely just put it up and cross fingers.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: April 27, 2023, 09:48:15 am »
Setbacks vary greatly between municipalities and how your property is zoned. If you’re not aware of your zoning and aren’t familiar with how to find that info and what your setbacks are in the zoning bylaw, best to call city hall. But don’t assume a certain distance.

In this case, since you’ve already bought it, I would likely just put it up and cross fingers.
Honestly, the only way I think this will be an issue is if someone complains.  So maybe I should take a few minutes this weekend and talk to other neighbors just to see their opinions.  Sometimes all you have to do is make an effort to appease people and they'll be okay with the plan.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8399 on: April 27, 2023, 11:16:27 am »

Portable Garages

Front yard setback means the distance to your front property line. Setback is just zoning speak for the distances between your property lines and structures on your property.

Taking another looking at the zoning code, here's the definition of portable garage:

Portable Garage means a collapsible structure covered with plastic or fabric, used for the purpose of temporarily storing vehicles and/or the covering of driveways

So since yours has a metal roof it does not meet this definition. The part of the zoning code I quoted earlier is really intended to cover the use of seasonal portable garages that are set up in a place structures aren't usually permitted.

I did a quick search through the zoning code and there's really nothing that addresses carports specifically.