Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1749174 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #7260 on: January 17, 2021, 06:46:33 pm »
On a new LG NG dryer, to convert to LP, one first needs to acquire the proper orifice that moronically is not included with the appliance for convenience  ::)   Then the entire drum needs to be removed for install.  Baked in idiocy.  All gas fireplaces are like this too.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7261 on: January 17, 2021, 07:06:42 pm »
On a new LG NG dryer, to convert to LP, one first needs to acquire the proper orifice that moronically is not included with the appliance for convenience  ::)   Then the entire drum needs to be removed for install.  Baked in idiocy.  All gas fireplaces are like this too.

Probably because almost no one uses LP.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: January 17, 2021, 07:19:09 pm »
I wouldn't say no one.

Lots of rural people have no better option. Particularly in Ontario where the hydro rates make heating with electricity productively expensive.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7263 on: January 17, 2021, 07:43:02 pm »

What an ignorant comment.

2.4 Million Ontarians have no access to NG lines.  Almost all farms operate on LP.  Ontario has a lot of farms.  I have NG in Owen Sound, but outside of it's all LP.  The pop of Owen Sound is 10K.  Surrounding the OS is a pop of 40K.

In Ontario if you heat by electricity you're fooked.

Good news is that Ford is now allowing none farm properties to install 1000 gallon torpedo tanks.  My son is getting one installed next month as he now lives there.  I'll be sticking with my 500.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7264 on: January 18, 2021, 12:45:00 am »
in most cases, you have to special order the LP versions...while LP is found more often in rural areas, it's a tiny fraction of appliance sales (likely less than 1%)...NG and electricity dominate the market...likely the only place who would stock LP versions is small town appliance stores (since their customer base is more likely to use them)...this is also why the conversion kits are not included...most won't need it and it would be an added expense for the majority who don't need it...BBQs are like this too...you either order the LP or NG versions...you can usually convert them, but the kit isn't included (at least from what i've seen).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: January 18, 2021, 07:14:11 am »

2.4 Million Ontarians have no access to NG lines.  Almost all farms operate on LP.  Ontario has a lot of farms.  I have NG in Owen Sound, but outside of it's all LP.  The pop of Owen Sound is 10K.  Surrounding the OS is a pop of 40K.

Good news is that Ford is now allowing none farm properties to install 1000 gallon torpedo tanks.  My son is getting one installed next month as he now lives there.  I'll be sticking with my 500.

...so? That doesn't mean all those people are using LP for their appliances. I literally know no one that uses LP for appliances aside from some people who have off-grid camps. In NB only a very small percentage of houses have natural gas, much smaller than in ON, and almost everyone uses electricity for their appliances.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7266 on: January 18, 2021, 07:41:57 am »

...so? That doesn't mean all those people are using LP for their appliances. I literally know no one that uses LP for appliances aside from some people who have off-grid camps. In NB only a very small percentage of houses have natural gas, much smaller than in ON, and almost everyone uses electricity for their appliances.
Like AS wrote , LP is huge in rural Ontario ,
If you had a restaurant you be will fack using electricity to heat your appliances and mua

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: January 18, 2021, 07:42:55 am »

Like AS wrote , LP is huge in rural Ontario ,
If you had a restaurant you be will fack using electricity to heat your appliances and mua

Sure, but it's still a tiny percentage of appliances that run off of LP vs. NG or electricity.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: January 18, 2021, 08:18:01 am »
Oh for sure.

But it's definitely not nobody and the market is likely larger than you think.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: January 18, 2021, 08:26:13 pm »
The point of my post was the idiocy of how gas appliances are constructed in such away that makes what should be a simple conversion so laborious or burner maintenance for that matter.  On the LG dryer, if LG had simply installed a small detachable panel on the back behind the burner then presto .... access.  But oh no, take the drum out instead sucker.  :P

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: January 18, 2021, 08:37:10 pm »
Yeah, that's some :censor:.

Like having to remove the bumper when changing the headlight on a Malibu.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #7271 on: January 19, 2021, 12:39:18 am »
replaced trunk struts on the SLK and M3.
also replaced the cracked fog lights on the SLK.

parts came from rockauto; quick as usual.
new trunk strut for the Merc came from Stabilus, OE manufacturer.(original that came off the car also has "Stabilus" printed on it, along with Merc logo; new one missing Merc logo though)  $28~ for the pair.

fog replacement was easy.  just need to find a clear plastic film i can put on it so it won't crack anymore, hopefully. matching PIAA part #, $80.

M3 trunk structs were actually still in decent shape surprisingly for 20 year old original...  i think i could have got away with just greasing the connectors, but oh well.   new struts went on super quick, and now trunk practically jumps open.  $22

Merc struts though...   FACKING PAIN in the A$$...   tiny little struts, so strong, it won't even move with my entire body pressing down on it.   why would it matter, you say?    well...  the uncompressed strut is like 5mm too long for connectors to pop in easily, so i tried very hard to compress the struts a little bit, and that's how i found out how strong these trunk struts are.

in the end, i had to take the trunk lid off the car, (heavy as FACK) pop in the new struts, and ...had a heck of a time trying to put the trunk lid back on...

the original ones that are worn and hardly keeps the trunk open, even that one is still strong enough for my body weight and still won't budge.  no wonder merc weighs a ton...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #7272 on: January 19, 2021, 08:02:21 am »
^good work! Not looking forward to changing the struts on my SLK down the road based on what you just described.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7273 on: January 19, 2021, 09:09:58 am »
A herculean effort to put on the struts.  Bravo!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #7274 on: January 19, 2021, 11:38:41 am »
replaced trunk struts on the SLK and M3.
also replaced the cracked fog lights on the SLK.

parts came from rockauto; quick as usual.
new trunk strut for the Merc came from Stabilus, OE manufacturer.(original that came off the car also has "Stabilus" printed on it, along with Merc logo; new one missing Merc logo though)  $28~ for the pair.

fog replacement was easy.  just need to find a clear plastic film i can put on it so it won't crack anymore, hopefully. matching PIAA part #, $80.

M3 trunk structs were actually still in decent shape surprisingly for 20 year old original...  i think i could have got away with just greasing the connectors, but oh well.   new struts went on super quick, and now trunk practically jumps open.  $22

Merc struts though...   FACKING PAIN in the A$$...   tiny little struts, so strong, it won't even move with my entire body pressing down on it.   why would it matter, you say?    well...  the uncompressed strut is like 5mm too long for connectors to pop in easily, so i tried very hard to compress the struts a little bit, and that's how i found out how strong these trunk struts are.

in the end, i had to take the trunk lid off the car, (heavy as FACK) pop in the new struts, and ...had a heck of a time trying to put the trunk lid back on...

the original ones that are worn and hardly keeps the trunk open, even that one is still strong enough for my body weight and still won't budge.  no wonder merc weighs a ton...

I'm so glad to see you taking care of my future car  :)
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #7275 on: January 30, 2021, 02:09:18 pm »
Not buying any myself but it seems a pretty good deal. Xi-snow are discounted similarly. Xi-3s look sharper IMO.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7276 on: January 30, 2021, 06:21:01 pm »
Bought the cheapest sound bar with boombox on Amazon... :rofl2:
Nice we are looking for a cheap sound bar for our living room tv.  You'll have to let us know what you think of this one.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: January 31, 2021, 04:00:13 pm »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7278 on: February 01, 2021, 06:50:37 pm »
Bought the cheapest sound bar with boombox on Amazon... :rofl2:
Nice we are looking for a cheap sound bar for our living room tv.  You'll have to let us know what you think of this one.
Just tried it really quick. The sound bar is pretty good but the bass is a bit small.   If you have a big room and want descent bass you might want something a big bigger
Did a bit of research on cheap sound bars and figured I'd give this one a chance https://www.amazon.ca/Subwoofer-Wireless-Bluetooth-Mountable-Surround/dp/B085DXH843/ref=sr_1_23?crid=52ZFQIH17BCL&dchild=1&keywords=sound+bar&qid=1612223152&s=electronics&sprefix=Sound+bar%2Caps%2C433&sr=1-23 Should be here in a week.  Didn't really want an external sub and this one has gotten some pretty good reviews.  It's mainly so we can hear the dialog when watching shows in our living room.  We have a nice LG sound bar with sub in my man cave for sports, movies, and gaming.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: February 03, 2021, 02:02:12 pm »
Change filter on the furnace and for some strange reason the pressure switch malfunction, so no heat
R
Read the error code on the furnace call the mechanical contractor with the code
He had pressure switch in stock, and it was covered under warranty but the service wasn’t , but since I done work for him he said I could install and save the labour charge , a hour later the house was warm again