Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1749211 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #6340 on: April 12, 2019, 03:53:03 pm »
How old were the windows you had in there ?

22 yrs old.  Emphasis on old on some of them.

My house is 20 this year so we'll either be doing windows and siding within the next couple if we don't decide move first.  We put an offer in on a property a few weeks ago and were late by two days.  Some :censor: from Ontario got in their offer first.   :P

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #6341 on: April 12, 2019, 08:17:06 pm »
Do you know if ring works with a Google home ?

it doesn't matter if you have that, Alexa/Siri etc. It's a separate system so you can't do stuff like "hey siri, who's at the door..." You do everything via the Ring app.

Ring is more or less a closed system with lots of rumours of Google home hub support, but nothing that's turned out to be real. What would you want to do with Google home?
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6342 on: April 12, 2019, 09:00:18 pm »

it doesn't matter if you have that, Alexa/Siri etc. It's a separate system so you can't do stuff like "hey siri, who's at the door..." You do everything via the Ring app.

Ring is more or less a closed system with lots of rumours of Google home hub support, but nothing that's turned out to be real. What would you want to do with Google home?
Use them for ringers in the house.
This way you dont need your phone glued to your head to know if there someone at the door
Also if some else is at the house and they don't app, they can answer the door

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: April 12, 2019, 09:01:06 pm »

This way you dont need your phone glued to your head to know if there someone at the door

Your normal doorbell still rings with the ring doorbell...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: April 12, 2019, 09:03:07 pm »

That is the problem , cannot hear the doorbell in all parts of the house or backyard

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6345 on: April 12, 2019, 09:04:33 pm »

That is the problem , cannot hear the doorbell in all parts of the house or backyard
So what are you doing right now then?

They make Ring repeaters...anywhere there's a plug, it will chime.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: April 12, 2019, 09:06:32 pm »

Hoping the dog hears the doorbell   :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: April 12, 2019, 09:07:53 pm »

So you have Google home upstairs, downstairs and in the yard?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: April 13, 2019, 06:33:59 am »

So you have Google home upstairs, downstairs and in the yard?
Yes, we have 3 units
First bought a mini and chromecast, then found two used Google home units for $50 and $40 on Facebook

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
RING Doorbell *DEAD*
« Reply #6349 on: April 16, 2019, 06:23:59 pm »
So yesterday, my Ring doorbell stopped capturing events.  And it stopped ringing. 

So I contacted Ring today.  And without batting an eye, they sent me a new unit...despite my current unit being 1 year over the warranty period.

So top notch for standing behind their customers.  They were really at a loss to understand what's going on with my Ring. So much so they're sending a pre-paid package too so that I can send my Ring back for study.

Just passing this along...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: RING Doorbell *DEAD*
« Reply #6350 on: April 16, 2019, 07:24:03 pm »
So yesterday, my Ring doorbell stopped capturing events.  And it stopped ringing. 

So I contacted Ring today.  And without batting an eye, they sent me a new unit...despite my current unit being 1 year over the warranty period.

So top notch for standing behind their customers.  They were really at a loss to understand what's going on with my Ring. So much so they're sending a pre-paid package too so that I can send my Ring back for study.

Did it just stop working entirely, or just stopped recording?
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6351 on: April 16, 2019, 07:29:24 pm »
That is some good customer support.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: April 16, 2019, 07:30:39 pm »

Stopped recording and stopped ringing...though I could still do a live view.....

Pretty much a "wtf" situation...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6353 on: April 16, 2019, 07:33:15 pm »

Stopped recording and stopped ringing...though I could still do a live view.....

If if ever stops losing power completely, just remove it completely and plug it into a USB with a typical android cord.  I've had to do that to mine a few times now.  It's common. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: April 16, 2019, 07:51:46 pm »

If if ever stops losing power completely, just remove it completely and plug it into a USB with a typical android cord.  I've had to do that to mine a few times now.  It's common.

Mine's hard wired...no issues with power.

They had me do a "factory reset".  After the factory reset (ring turns blue)...the Ring stayed blue for like 10 minutes...it never turned anything from a blue ring.  Guy said it should stay blue for 1 min.

After that he determined something was f-ed up.

First issue I've had....and the Ring guys were perplexed. 

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #6355 on: April 16, 2019, 08:00:30 pm »

They had me do a "factory reset".  After the factory reset (ring turns blue)...the Ring stayed blue for like 10 minutes...it never turned anything from a blue ring.  Guy said it should stay blue for 1 min.

Mine is hard wired too.  But it's still a common issue losing power.  Look it up. 

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #6356 on: April 16, 2019, 09:02:21 pm »
That's troubling to hear that it's a common issue.
I wonder if Nest has issues like that.. I'd go with Nest if I were to go with a video doorbell.  I already have a camera pointed at the front porch so it's not really that important at the moment.

On a side note, I got a 'free' Google home mini for signing up for a Spotify premium account.  I can cancel after the first month so it'll cost me $10 including the Spotify subscription for the month.  I put it in my master bath so I can control the master bedroom lights with voice and play music in the bathroom occasionally.

Also picked up a battery-operated brad nail gun for $100 at Home Depot.  It'll come in handy when making small furniture things in the garage.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: April 16, 2019, 09:06:42 pm »

Mine is hard wired too.  But it's still a common issue losing power.  Look it up.

My power was at 100% when this happened??  I'd have assumed if what happened to me  was a common thing they'd have at least mentioned it and not wanted me doorbell for further investigation.

Are you saying that even though yours is hardwired it sometimes drains the battery just the same?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:08:19 pm by rrocket »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: April 17, 2019, 03:52:53 pm »

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #6359 on: April 17, 2019, 10:22:18 pm »
made a moderately isolated vocal and acoustic guitar booth in the space formerly known as the closet in my office/studio. Rockwool, frames on hinges so I can still get at the corners for cables/shelves etc.