Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1749204 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #5880 on: July 21, 2018, 09:58:58 am »
FINALLY picked up a Stihl chain sharpener that actually sharpens.  Up to this point in time I've just dropped off 3 chains at a time, but these days it's about $35.00 tax in and I generally forget to pick them up.  I just used one of these "2 in 1" units and even though it's not machine quality it's close enough.  Paid $45 plus tax at a local Stihl dealer.  Bargain.

I've never had luck with chain sharpeners.  Let me know how this one works.
Me too.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5881 on: July 21, 2018, 05:46:54 pm »
Never stop at garage sales usually, but saw one on the way home today and saw these amongst the old household items:

http://www.armourready.com/product/armour-ready-pro-coverall-7-oz-royal-blue/

Brand new. The guy had got them for work as a welder and they didn't fit.

Will throw my old worn out hi vis coveralls from the Rangeland job in the car in case I have to change a tire on the side of the road

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5882 on: July 21, 2018, 05:54:51 pm »
Never stop at garage sales usually, but saw one on the way home today and saw these amongst the old household items:

http://www.armourready.com/product/armour-ready-pro-coverall-7-oz-royal-blue/

Brand new. The guy had got them for work as a welder and they didn't fit.

Will throw my old worn out hi vis coveralls from the Rangeland job in the car in case I have to change a tire on the side of the road
Nice find

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5883 on: July 22, 2018, 05:01:30 pm »
FINALLY picked up a Stihl chain sharpener that actually sharpens.  Up to this point in time I've just dropped off 3 chains at a time, but these days it's about $35.00 tax in and I generally forget to pick them up.  I just used one of these "2 in 1" units and even though it's not machine quality it's close enough.  Paid $45 plus tax at a local Stihl dealer.  Bargain.

I just can't believe how idiotic I've been (well I can  ;D)  that I had not tried one of these units before.  I've been aware of them for the past few years.  ::) :P

Just the greatest.

Two things:  requires an anchored vise to hold the saw by the blade.  also you need to know your chain size.  I have the smallest Sthil @ 3/8s p    There are 3 sizes to chose from.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #5884 on: July 22, 2018, 08:02:44 pm »
Found a good deal on a battery:

https://manitobabattery.com/winnipeg_ecommerce2_076.htm

That is a Group 31 sized battery, and is the largest Deep Cycle battery that I could buy.  At least, the largest affordable battery. 

Every other place, these batteries go for $170+.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:05:51 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: July 23, 2018, 11:37:55 pm »
Got my micro measuring spoon set.  These are actually real measures and used for spices and extracts.

I'm currently using the Smidgen (1/32 teaspoon) the most.

Tad = 1/4 teaspoon
  Dash = 1/8 teaspoon
  Smidgen = 1/32 teaspoon
  Pinch = 1/16 teaspoon
  Drop = 1/64 teaspoon 

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5886 on: July 24, 2018, 02:07:20 am »

I just can't believe how idiotic I've been (well I can  ;D)  that I had not tried one of these units before.  I've been aware of them for the past few years.  ::) :P

Just the greatest.

Two things:  requires an anchored vise to hold the saw by the blade.  also you need to know your chain size.  I have the smallest Sthil @ 3/8s p    There are 3 sizes to chose from.

I just use a round and a flat file?
This is better?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: July 24, 2018, 02:22:30 am »

Just the greatest.

This is better?

It does them both at the same time with a guide.

This guy seems pretty stoked about it....is this you, Steve?   :rofl2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzjmpNTVH6U

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5888 on: July 24, 2018, 01:59:25 pm »
Ron, this is actually me ...   much better detail.  I think the guy in your video had the wrong sharper for his size chain and was not filling level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=marzGaMq6pM

This is better?

Infinitely!  $44.95 (3/8p)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5889 on: July 24, 2018, 02:58:58 pm »
I just watched 16 minutes of a guy sharpening a chainsaw.  ;D

I love those kinds of videos.

Dad showed me how to use a round and flat file. Kind of a PITA to used on a big chain, easy to make a mess if you rush it. Not much wood to cut out here, so kind of a lost skill, I'd imagine. 
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #5890 on: July 24, 2018, 04:24:47 pm »
^^ Good video!  :fiver: 

I’ll have to give one of those a try.  I’ve never had any luck sharpening my own chains.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: July 24, 2018, 08:20:56 pm »
I've been looking to buy a tv wall mount bracket and looked around online at prices last night.  Tonight I figured I'd stop at the Source and see what they had in stock and they were all on clearance.  I picked up a full motion wall mount for less than $45 taxes in.  Regular price was $129 before taxes.  I just wanted a simple unit with maybe tilt but didn't want to spend much, but for that price I snapped up the full motion unit.  It was only $10 more. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5892 on: July 29, 2018, 11:01:41 am »
A little DIY job I recently did.
Our Bell PVR died, it would run for about 5 minutes, then the video would freeze, then the sound would go shortly after.    I unplugged the internal hard-drive and it seemed to work fine, so, bought a used hard-drive, installed, same problem.   Investigate more closely, noticed several capacitors are bulging on top, caps are in the area dealing with recording and buffering from what I can tell.

See the bulgy top?  Bad sign.

I had 4 bulgy 1200 microfarad 6.3v and 4 x  820 microfarad 6.3v .

Sorry, no after photos, but I found half the caps at a local electronic shop, had to order the others online from Montreal.
 Replaced the caps (not the easiest board to work on)  and now it's working great.   
Mr Pickypants

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #5893 on: July 29, 2018, 04:11:41 pm »
^ Damn, now that's something people don't do often these days. Well done.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #5894 on: July 29, 2018, 04:24:51 pm »
Our Bell PVR died, it would run for about 5 minutes, then the video would freeze, then the sound would go shortly after.    I unplugged the internal hard-drive and it seemed to work fine, so, bought a used hard-drive, installed, same problem.   Investigate more closely, noticed several capacitors are bulging on top, caps are in the area dealing with recording and buffering from what I can tell.

Sorry, no after photos, but I found half the caps at a local electronic shop, had to order the others online from Montreal.
 Replaced the caps (not the easiest board to work on)  and now it's working great.
Nice work!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5895 on: July 29, 2018, 06:34:37 pm »
Good stuff Blur!  :thumbup: I've got lots of old caps, resistors, and other assorted discreet components left in over in my shop from the old days. We donated boxes of stuff to the local community college a few years ago but also kept a lot just in case. Sometimes it comes in handy for fixing oddball legacy stuff.  I've pulled a rabbit out of the bag several times in the past using that cache.   ;D  I found lots of old vacuum tubes in original packaging that i kept just in case as well. 

Anyways, mounted a tv in my garage today.  Not something i ever planned on doing but i've had my mother's 46" Samsung sitting on a shelf downstairs for the last six months and figured i'd do something with it.  I plan on just streaming to it but my wifi signal is too weak in the garage for the chromecast I bought for it to work, so I arranged for a service upgrade from my isp.  My service is 10 years old now and on the original router so i'm due for an upgrade. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: July 29, 2018, 06:44:26 pm »

Geez.....what's next, building a rocket?

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #5897 on: July 29, 2018, 06:49:31 pm »
Good stuff Blur!  :thumbup: I've got lots of old caps, resistors, and other assorted discreet components left in over in my shop from the old days. We donated boxes of stuff to the local community college a few years ago but also kept a lot just in case. Sometimes it comes in handy for fixing oddball legacy stuff.  I've pulled a rabbit out of the bag several times in the past using that cache.   ;D  I found lots of old vacuum tubes in original packaging that i kept just in case as well. 

Anyways, mounted a tv in my garage today.  Not something i ever planned on doing but i've had my mother's 46" Samsung sitting on a shelf downstairs for the last six months and figured i'd do something with it.  I plan on just streaming to it but my wifi signal is too weak in the garage for the chromecast I bought for it to work, so I arranged for a service upgrade from my isp.  My service is 10 years old now and on the original router so i'm due for an upgrade.

Get an ubiquiti router and call it a day... ISP routers are garbage anyways

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: July 30, 2018, 12:55:13 pm »

I know but it's a free upgrade and i don't want to spend any more money on this right now.  If i get decent signal in the garage and back patio after the upgrade I'll be happy.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5899 on: July 30, 2018, 04:23:06 pm »

I know but it's a free upgrade and i don't want to spend any more money on this right now.  If i get decent signal in the garage and back patio after the upgrade I'll be happy.
Can you get a hard wire to the TV?
4 out our 5 TVs have a hard wire to the tv boxes