Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1749190 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #5800 on: June 19, 2018, 06:09:18 pm »
Got a pair of Bose SoundTrue Ultra in-ear headphones yesterday.  They are noise-isolating and do a great job.  My Klipsch ones died after 5 yrs of intense use.  So far, I'd say the Klipschs sounded warmer, but the Bose pair is much more comfortable, a better fit and will be great for use at the gym and while running.

When are you going to have time to go to gym or running after next month  ???  :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5801 on: June 19, 2018, 10:07:31 pm »
I had a Bob, and could even tackle some minor trails with it.  Kids don't mean you can't work out.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #5802 on: June 20, 2018, 03:24:24 pm »
Yup, we're looking at either a Bob or Thule running stroller.  The running will continue.

Mrs. Burger just stopped running about 10 days ago.  Before that, she continued running through the pregnancy albeit at a lower weekly mileage.  When she decided to stop, it was because she found her gait wasn't normal anymore and because of the way her feet were landing, her shins were hurting quite a bit.  I believe she'll be back at it by September at the latest.  Won't be taking the baby on our runs until early next year though.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5803 on: June 20, 2018, 03:49:46 pm »
Yup, we're looking at either a Bob or Thule running stroller.  The running will continue.

The beauty of a Bob is that they sell well on the used market - I got quite a bit for mine used, making the total cost a lot less of a sting than the fairly high upfront price suggests.  They're super durable, holy crap.  I ran a LOT, on trails, on pavement, whatever, and it always cleaned up to like new.  They're tough.

One thing to note is that you have to watch your hip position as it's tempting to lean far forward with the stroller.  It took me a few outings, but I was able to keep my proper form and use the stroller - it just took some conscious work at first.  When we were getting to the end of the time with the stroller, my daughter became a real motivator.  She loved to go out, wanted me to go fast, and wanted longer runs.  Then we switched to her biking with me running, unless on dirt trails.

The kid has enjoyed being fit and had been pretty motivated, even having her own gym membership through high school, but she thumbed her nose as running.  But, this spring, one of her mentors mentioned that she uses trail running as a great way to keep cardio fit for climbing and for the off-ski-season.  OH WELL GUESS WHAT?  Running is suddenly awesome.  "Dad send money for running shoes..."   :rofl2:

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #5804 on: June 21, 2018, 09:53:00 am »

Mrs. Burger just stopped running about 10 days ago.  Before that, she continued running through the pregnancy albeit at a lower weekly mileage.  When she decided to stop, it was because she found her gait wasn't normal anymore and because of the way her feet were landing, her shins were hurting quite a bit.  I believe she'll be back at it by September at the latest.  Won't be taking the baby on our runs until early next year though.

If its just for running, get a Bob as they are significantly lighter. We rented a double version of the one posted above on our last vacation and it was a breeze to push it around.

However, we own a Chariot (Thule) Chinook 2. Its a little heaver than the Bob but it is also a bike trailer (main reason we bought), storage is more flexible (has a removable bag with a shoulder strap) and it provides better sun/rain/bug protection.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #5805 on: June 23, 2018, 11:09:36 pm »
I know it's been asked before but dash cams?  with movements sensor(for night), loop,.... affordable etc
Lots of info here
https://dashcamtalk.com
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5806 on: June 24, 2018, 02:42:16 pm »
I would. We have had the front ones on both vehicles for a while now, and they are nice for piece of mind. Covering the back as well would be great

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #5807 on: June 24, 2018, 08:20:34 pm »
Who needs a truck.   ;D

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #5808 on: June 25, 2018, 10:18:24 pm »
Received the Nest X Yale Lock today and and installed it tonight.  Easy installation and pretty slick app and set it up on my phone, my wife's phone and my daughter's phone.  Nice being able to lock and unlock the door from anywhere and not worrying about a key.

https://nest.com/ca/lock/nest-yale-lock-key-free-smart-lock/overview/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcLZBRCnARIsAMPBgF0AYsKcxrT1ySKHnFtQfhgk2OPD87rQEwBGqndV25uHPadVYqo_dyEaAmW0EALw_wcB&dclid=CODR8Y-h8NsCFUoNNwodI6ALIg
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: June 26, 2018, 08:46:27 am »
Received the Nest X Yale Lock today and and installed it tonight.  Easy installation and pretty slick app and set it up on my phone, my wife's phone and my daughter's phone.  Nice being able to lock and unlock the door from anywhere and not worrying about a key.

https://nest.com/ca/lock/nest-yale-lock-key-free-smart-lock/overview/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcLZBRCnARIsAMPBgF0AYsKcxrT1ySKHnFtQfhgk2OPD87rQEwBGqndV25uHPadVYqo_dyEaAmW0EALw_wcB&dclid=CODR8Y-h8NsCFUoNNwodI6ALIg
Until the power goes out in the house and the battery dies  :rofl2:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #5810 on: June 26, 2018, 08:50:35 am »

That would be cool.  Also cool would be a pinpad to unlock in case you also leave you phone at home (say, you're going out for a run or something). 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: June 26, 2018, 09:01:34 am »

That would be cool.  Also cool would be a pinpad to unlock in case you also leave you phone at home (say, you're going out for a run or something).
It does have a pin pad to unlock as long as the batteries don't die, had that happen to our lock once ,
Our lock still has a key

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5812 on: June 26, 2018, 09:17:50 am »

Could not only be your family thinking this  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5813 on: June 26, 2018, 10:17:31 am »
The wifes cousins have a locksmith franchise down in Calgary and we talked to them about these "smart" doorlocks and deadbolts. They are 100% against them, do not stock them, do not sell them, do not install them and they do not recommend them. I thought it was a great idea but when they told me how easy they were to bypass, wife and I agreed they are no bueno. This all depends on where you live though.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5814 on: June 26, 2018, 10:19:23 am »
The wifes cousins have a locksmith franchise down in Calgary and we talked to them about these "smart" doorlocks and deadbolts. They are 100% against them, do not stock them, do not sell them, do not install them and they do not recommend them. I thought it was a great idea but when they told me how easy they were to bypass, wife and I agreed they are no bueno. This all depends on where you live though.

Are you sure that's even true?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5815 on: June 26, 2018, 10:22:55 am »

I have absolutely 0 reason to doubt them. They have researched them extensively and there are far too many security gaps and unknowns for their business to get involved in them.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: June 26, 2018, 03:48:45 pm »

I have absolutely 0 reason to doubt them. They have researched them extensively and there are far too many security gaps and unknowns for their business to get involved in them.

A lock is merely a deterrent, anyway.  If somebody really, really wants to get into your house, nothing will stop them...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: June 27, 2018, 07:53:50 am »
I've got smart locks on my house.  My dad installed one on his a few years ago.  I accidentally inserted my key into their door...and it worked. So when I got home I inserted their house key into mine, and it didn't work.  But mine works in both theirs and mine...weird. Good thing I'm not a burglary type.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: June 30, 2018, 12:01:46 am »
So, not really bought or DIY, although I did help my Dad build it ten years ago. 

It will be coming with us to Rushing River, and also Banff.  My Dad doesn't see himself using it again, so he told me I could just keep it indefinitely.  Thanks Dad!!!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: June 30, 2018, 08:10:31 am »
Very cool.