Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1785571 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #3900 on: December 11, 2015, 08:50:02 pm »
Lemme go measure...

Bingo!   :)

Had a feeling, right from the start, and I pass by it to avoid the QEW when heading to Oakville.  But never been. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: December 11, 2015, 08:53:11 pm »
Who cares about west end, it is like falling off the edge of the earth  :P

hmm, what region of Ontario do you live in? 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3902 on: December 11, 2015, 08:53:26 pm »
Lemme go measure...

Bingo!   :)

Had a feeling, right from the start, and I pass by it to avoid the QEW when heading to Oakville.  But never been.

The spot I took the picture from is near Upper Middle.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: December 11, 2015, 09:11:47 pm »
New hospital, just north of there.  Big move this weekend when it opens. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3904 on: December 11, 2015, 09:13:39 pm »

God's country ask Mr Thompson  ;D

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #3905 on: December 11, 2015, 10:13:05 pm »

God's a senior citizen, right?  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3906 on: December 12, 2015, 08:35:57 am »
God damn right and I have been drawing a pension for 2 trillion years....... :banana: :thumbup:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3907 on: December 12, 2015, 08:45:29 am »

Goderich?

;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: December 12, 2015, 01:55:39 pm »

Goderich?

;D
Northumberland  County  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
Panasonic Toaster Oven Review
« Reply #3909 on: December 16, 2015, 07:01:29 pm »
I bought this oven for $73 on Black Monday sale for IQ as she has always used a toaster oven.  I only occasionally used our old one for toast.  But I've got to say..this one is pretty amazing.  It does 4 slices of bread to perfection--every time--in about 2 minutes.  I can't believe how fast it is!  Same thing with a frozen bagel/waffle.  5 minutes.  But again, perfectly.  Most useful (IMO) is the Quick Reheat button.  It reheats things to perfection without them being soggy like what a microwave would do.  This is a stellar little kitchen appliance, and I would recommend it.

http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/kitchen-appliances/toaster-ovens/NB-G110P.html
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: Panasonic Toaster Oven Review
« Reply #3910 on: December 16, 2015, 08:01:50 pm »
I bought this oven for $73 on Black Monday sale for IQ as she has always used a toaster oven.  I only occasionally used our old one for toast.  But I've got to say..this one is pretty amazing.  It does 4 slices of bread to perfection--every time--in about 2 minutes.  I can't believe how fast it is!  Same thing with a frozen bagel/waffle.  5 minutes.  But again, perfectly.  Most useful (IMO) is the Quick Reheat button.  It reheats things to perfection without them being soggy like what a microwave would do.  This is a stellar little kitchen appliance, and I would recommend it.

http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/kitchen-appliances/toaster-ovens/NB-G110P.html

Looks like something from a medical lab.  Glad to hear it works.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3911 on: December 16, 2015, 08:04:27 pm »

How well do the convection and broiler features work?  I've been looking for something that cooks chicken wings and breasts as well as the cheap little convection unit that I bought years ago for $25 a a neighbor's yard sale.  It cooked chicken, fries and other little oven baked treats to perfection with a nice crispy texture every time.  The Cuisinart thing we replaced it with is a pos by comparison.  A samll oven is all the two of us need on most occasions. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: December 16, 2015, 08:06:00 pm »

How well do the convection and broiler features work?  I've been looking for something that cooks chicken wings and breasts as well as the cheap little convection unit that I bought years ago for $25 a a neighbor's yard sale.  It cooked chicken, fries and other little oven baked treats to perfection with a nice crispy texture every time.  The Cuisinart thing we replaced it with is a pos by comparison.  A samll oven is all the two of us need on most occasions.

I haven't used that yet.  We have a deep fryer for wings.  If we don't deep fry..I smoke them.  Ditto with breast.  Either smoked or BBQ.

Sorry..not much help.  But I'm sure it would work fine.  It's impressive compared to tradition filament type ovens.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3913 on: December 16, 2015, 08:36:35 pm »

One thing the website doesn't have is how hot the outside gets when it is in use.   We bought a highly recommended toaster oven 3 years back, put it in the only place that power and space to try it.  Turned it on to toast some bread and stuff.  It got too hot for my liking. heated up the cupboard above it  and the wall behind.   Took it back.  With a much bigger kitchen it would have been fine.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6818
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3914 on: December 16, 2015, 08:49:31 pm »
I bought a stainless 4 slot T-Fal and after toasting it launches the bread right out of it.  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: December 16, 2015, 09:19:50 pm »

One thing the website doesn't have is how hot the outside gets when it is in use.   We bought a highly recommended toaster oven 3 years back, put it in the only place that power and space to try it.  Turned it on to toast some bread and stuff.  It got too hot for my liking. heated up the cupboard above it  and the wall behind.   Took it back.  With a much bigger kitchen it would have been fine.

It gets hot...my not hot enough to burn wood.  It would sting if you put your hand on it though.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #3916 on: December 18, 2015, 10:20:57 pm »
So my friend crashed his formula Renault in August...  Badly.

He's been looking for parts to rebuild the car.  Total rebuild cost was estimated at around $15k.  By finding some used parts he is saving a lot.   I offered to paint the car for him after he got a quote for $3000.  I figured I could do it for $500 or less.

So he brought over the first piece last week.   This side pod piece is $800 used....

First step was to fix the million little paint chips and nicks in it.

It was in rough shape.

After much sanding I primed it.

The bubble you see in this one is actually the carbon delaminated slightly from the resin,  so not fixable with putty,  we are going to live with it.

Then I painted it.

After the paint dried I sanded it with 1000 grit to smooth it out a bit more and then clear coated it.

Then spent another hour sanding with 1000 then 2000 then cutting compound then buffing then waxing it.

No more orange peel,  looks pretty good.

Cost about $30 in material,  so should easily do the entire car for less than $500

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3917 on: December 18, 2015, 10:27:08 pm »
Great work!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: December 18, 2015, 10:28:19 pm »
How many hours ?
I guess you do not do this to make any money , nice guy

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3919 on: December 18, 2015, 10:44:01 pm »
Probably took around 5-6 hours total, maybe more?  First piece was an experiment.  I had some issues with paint sticking oddly in some places and had to redo a few parts of it a couple of times.

Next pieces should be easier now that I have the process down.  Also if I clear immediately after putting on the base coat it seems to turn out better than waiting for the base coat to dry then putting clear on.  So that would save me time and not having to do the middle sanding step to smooth out bumps.

But yeah not making any money, I just ask him to pay for the paint supplies.