Author Topic: Visa cards with chip....your experience ?  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
Visa cards with chip....your experience ?
« on: December 18, 2008, 02:27:42 pm »
Anyone successfully use their Visa card that has the embedded chip ?

I recently got issued one and it is practically useless, as most of the retail places I've been to in Ontario cannot seem to process the card. The pin pad machines that are normally used for Interac and credit card swiping don't seem to work with the Chip cards. The only recent luck I had was at the LCBO, but that was only after I had to enter my PIN directly onto the cashier's terminal (and not the hand held PIN pad device).  ???

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Visa cards with chip....your experience ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 02:29:41 pm »
I have paypass by MC not sure if that is the same since I no longer have a visa but it works great.

baumer00

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 03:10:10 pm »
I have the CIBC Aerogold or whatever it's called now with a chip.  50% of the retailers I go to now have the terminals in place.  Some of them do not know how to use it, frankly, I preferred to sign the slip myself than to enter a pin code.

I understand that these types of cards are now standard in Europe.  I just returned from 3 weeks in Asia and did not have any difficulty using the card - they did not use the new technology in hong kong, cambodia, singapore or thailand which surprised me, thought that singapore and hong kong would be ahead of the curve on this.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 03:12:29 pm »
Oh you need a pin?  THat's totally different than the mastercard then.

The mastercard, there is no slip to sign or pin to enter.  I like it.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:34:03 pm »
Without the Pin it no work, that way if you lose it, and not notice it for a couple of days,  people who find/stoled  can not ring up charges on it

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 04:08:08 pm »
Anyone successfully use their Visa card that has the embedded chip ?

I recently got issued one and it is practically useless, as most of the retail places I've been to in Ontario cannot seem to process the card. The pin pad machines that are normally used for Interac and credit card swiping don't seem to work with the Chip cards. The only recent luck I had was at the LCBO, but that was only after I had to enter my PIN directly onto the cashier's terminal (and not the hand held PIN pad device).  ???

Spheric I don't understand why it would be a problem, it should work like this:

1. If you have a card with a chip then you have to use the pin in a “chip & pin” enabled store.
2. If the store is not “chip & pin” enabled then you just swipe and sign as normal.
3. If like me you get a card from the bank that has a chip in it that hasn’t been activated properly, and you live in a town that is all “chip & pin”, then you can’t use it anywhere.  Because if they are enabled and you have a card with a chip they are not allowed to swipe it as it defeats the purpose.  One quick call to the bank solved it, they enabled it over the phone.

Try calling your bank and checking that not only is the new card activated, but that they have also activated the chip, then you should have no problems.

Chip & Pin is good, it greatly reduces fraud.  I should know having just spent over 3 years managing Credit Risk at Bank of America.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:11:45 pm »
How soon should all the cards have a chip in them ???

Does it cost the retailers more money to get the new card reader?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 04:26:39 pm »
The readers have been standard issue for a few years now. That is, all new or replaced readers have been chip capable,  they usually have a slot in one or other end that will accept the card.

I belive that Visa is issuing new chipped cards as they expire.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 04:47:50 pm »
This new chip tech is not as secure as the banks make it out to be, but they're going in the right direction.  Mythbusters hacked the new chip system without any difficulty, and if they can do it, thieves will be doing it too.  The great part of chip/PIN is that it stops the casual thief that makes off with your CC and runs to some stores.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:02:43 pm »
The great part of chip/PIN is that it stops the casual thief that makes off with your CC and runs to some stores.

And people like Wing have the extra easy card to rip off...  :rofl2:

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 05:47:40 pm »
The readers have been standard issue for a few years now. That is, all new or replaced readers have been chip capable,  they usually have a slot in one or other end that will accept the card.

I belive that Visa is issuing new chipped cards as they expire.

I thought so too, but I recently upgraded by VISA and my new card does not have a chip AFAIK.  There was no mention of a chip or a PIN when I got it, nor has any retailer asked for a PIN.  Just sign as normal...

Some friends have gotten new cards with chips, though.  Makes for an interesting scenario when they were not aware of the need for a PIN...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 05:54:46 pm »
For the Royal Bank I think the default PIN is the same as the debit card.

I agree they are being very weird about issuing these chipped cards. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 08:22:31 pm »
This new chip tech is not as secure as the banks make it out to be, but they're going in the right direction.  Mythbusters hacked the new chip system without any difficulty, and if they can do it, thieves will be doing it too.  The great part of chip/PIN is that it stops the casual thief that makes off with your CC and runs to some stores.

Really, can you show me where?

I thought mythbusters hacked the RFID which is something completely different?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 08:48:58 pm »
I still have my old Visa card without the chip, but a month ago MasterCard sent me a new card with the chip.

Haven't had any problems with the new chip card. Seems to work fine for both old-school swipe-and-sign transactions, as well as the new read-the-chip-and-enter-your-PIN.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 10:25:24 pm »
I believe it's only allowed to be a purchase under $100 for the MC paypass

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 10:29:28 pm »
I have the VISA with the chip.  It works with terminals that support the chip.  Be sure to follow the instructions on the screen.  Don't yank out the card until it tells you to, otherwise the transaction gets canceled.  

On terminals with out the chip reader, it works just the same as before with the magnetic stripe.  

It is not as bad as answering 100 or so questions on the PCI questionaire so that your company can process credit card info...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 11:12:14 pm »
The pay pass technology is a different topic. That's the RFID stuff, most is limited to low value transactions such as coffee shops etc. I think mine has a limit of about $20.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 11:57:06 pm »
The pay pass technology is a different topic. That's the RFID stuff, most is limited to low value transactions such as coffee shops etc. I think mine has a limit of about $20.

I double checked, and yes, Mythbusters hacked the RFID, not the credit card chip, my error.

vdk

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 12:14:50 am »
I absolutely hate punching in PINs.  Paypass is the way to go.

I got a Visa with the new chip and it worked fine at Dominion Metro, just swipe like usual, no punching.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 05:26:03 am »
I was in a small resto last night and asked the server.  They have seen a few chipped cards and they all will do:
If the customer comes to the cash and puts the card in the slot for the chipped card then the customer enters the  pin .
If the customer just hands them the card at the table then the server will swipe it as usual.

They don't have a portable ( wireless) terminal yet.