Author Topic: How was your 'holiday' party?  (Read 8313 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
How was your 'holiday' party?
« on: December 11, 2008, 09:08:39 am »
We had our staff Christmas party last night and it was amazing!  We get a large room at a very nice restaurant, open the bar and sit around chatting, eating drinking, drinking and relaxing.

One amazing thing is they gave me this magic glass that would never empty. Every time I turned to talk to somebody, when I turned around it was full again. ;) The room is always full of energy and everybody is amazing and great to talk to.

Now my partner's party (if I can even call it that) is the total opposite. Its during their lunch, they order from Pickle Barrel and tell the staff they have to pay $10.79 (you know somebody worked this out to the last penny  ::)). It was so much fun that after their gift exchange there was still 15 minutes left so the boss told everybody to get back to work.

No wonder she gets very excited about my party. Now, where are the toothpicks to keep my eyes open.  :fall:

How was yours?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: How was your 'holiday' party?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:55:28 am »
We didn't have ours yet, but ours will be what it is every year.

X-box and Wii and playstation, and a pot luck lunch.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 11:10:49 am »
Our staff is invited to a bar/grill. Those who show up get $50 in an envelope to pay for their meal or cab ride home.

The best I've had been was couple of years ago at the Academy of Spherical Arts, amazing environment.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 11:20:17 am »
Our office (and spouses) usually goes out to a dinner theatre, which is easier for the spouses, who don't know people....this year, it was last week, it was so-so entertainment....and my wife's office is doing the same thing, same dinner theatre, tonight.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 11:42:23 am »
Ours is a family event on a Sunday afternoon, usually in a nice hotel - food and drink for all, plus gifts and crafts for the kids. 

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 12:40:33 pm »
Which one? :rofl2: :rofl2:

Our department's party is next week.  We're heading over to a big hotel (as always) for our annual big bash.  Cocktails, dinner, dancing and possibly some comedic entertainment.  Everybody dresses up for it as well; a significant improvement for most university types. ::)

This year we'll be enjoying the Sheraton in downtown Montreal.

Tomorrow is a much smaller affair that I organize each year for some of my peers in other departments.  Looking forward to that lunch very much as well.

Our curling club's party was last week.  Gourmet 5 course meal followed by dancing.  My girlfriend, who had never been to one of our big evening parties, enjoyed it immensely.

Saturday night is her office party.  It promises to be a huge one, with up to 2000 people attending.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

baumer00

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:49:01 pm »
Must be nice to work at non-bailed out companies.  No holiday party this year - not even a lunch...

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 12:56:02 pm »
My company's Xmas lunch is next Friday.  It is held at a local restaurant/inn.  The food is usually quite good, especially the deserts.  Everyone has the rest of the afternoon off, so most start leaving around 2 pm. 

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 01:48:52 pm »
The food is usually quite good, especially the deserts.

Mohave Sandcake and Sahara Lee Camel Cookies?  :D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 02:08:10 pm »
The food is usually quite good, especially the deserts.

Most NA beer is brackish Oasis water as well
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 02:14:12 pm »
Ours is tonight.  Each year we find a new restaurant that will let us rent the place out for an evening.  Limos are hired to go around and pick up all staff that intend to drink (at the open bar) and the company 'social committee' usually has a few funny (and sometimes embarassing) games lined up.  It is not a family event.  The food is usually really good and everyone tends to have a pretty good time -- advertising folks generally know how to par-tay. 

We also have an annual pool party in the summer at one of the partners' houses.  It's usually a really wild event as well.

But the real topper is the senior management "AGM" that takes place in Vegas each year.  I got to go for the first time this year and it's not uncommon to get kicked out of the fancy pants restaurants for being too loud.  Heh heh...
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 02:34:59 pm »
We had our staff Christmas party last night .....

How was yours?

Cancelled.   :'( :'(

So just a few drinks at home with the wife this year.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 03:36:04 pm »
We had our staff Christmas party last night .....

How was yours?

Cancelled.   :'( :'(

So just a few drinks at home with the wife this year.

Sounds like my company party ;D
There is only the wife and me in company

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 08:54:02 am »
Most NA beer is brackish Oasis water as well
:rofl:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 09:58:50 am »
I work for the hospital so obviously there's no lavish spending.  We're going to a buffet lunch (I think our boss pays out of her pocket) and then home early.   Our department gets along great so it will be fun, but there's definitely no limos involved.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 01:00:04 pm »
Which one? :rofl2: :rofl2:

Our department's party is next week.  We're heading over to a big hotel (as always) for our annual big bash.  Cocktails, dinner, dancing and possibly some comedic entertainment.  Everybody dresses up for it as well; a significant improvement for most university types. ::)

This year we'll be enjoying the Sheraton in downtown Montreal.

Tomorrow is a much smaller affair that I organize each year for some of my peers in other departments.  Looking forward to that lunch very much as well.

Our curling club's party was last week.  Gourmet 5 course meal followed by dancing.  My girlfriend, who had never been to one of our big evening parties, enjoyed it immensely.

Saturday night is her office party.  It promises to be a huge one, with up to 2000 people attending.

Don't want to highjack the thread, but isn't it amazing how badly young "professionals" are dressing? They all look like they are going to a cottage beer party, not to a place of business. They call this "casual". I call it lazy with no class and no taste; what's up with the stupid t-shirt over the long sleeve shirt? I don't see a baseball diamond anywhere!
And nobody tucks their shirt into their pants anymore, I can understand a shirt with an even bottom with the little v slits on each side which are made to be worn on the outside but these long shirts with the curved bottoms? They look so shitty, but these guys think they look cool....  grow-up! :P ::)
Rant over, proceed... ;D

Ha ha, you sound so old!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 01:02:59 pm »
So Bob, how was 'your' X-Mas party at the new digs and how did it compare to your previous employers?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 01:32:06 pm »
We cancelled ours and handed out 500 lay-off notices instead. Merry facking Christmas.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 01:58:45 pm »
We cancelled ours and handed out 500 lay-off notices instead. Merry facking Christmas.

Afraid this is going to be common this year, lots of pain all around. I can't remember a time when global economic conditions changed so quickly from prosperity to doom/gloom; and I suspect one has to go back to the 1929-1933 period to do so (fortunately I was not around then, but have heard many, many stories about that time (my Mom was 14 in 1930)).  :(
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 02:59:51 pm »
Early '90's stuff happen quickly
'89 construction booming , '90 dead