Author Topic: Mazda 6  (Read 27919 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Mazda 6
« on: December 10, 2008, 08:42:24 pm »
Anyone know if there is gonna be a mazdaspeed version?  I've trawled the interweb and not found much...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
Re: Mazda 6
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 11:33:02 pm »
Thats the JDM/Euro model of the Mazda6 which is smaller and somewhat different than the US model.

At the moment the new US model V6 is about as Mazdaspeedish as you can get.  No idea if Mazda USA (and Canada by extension) plans to introduce a performance model.  I wonder if they will wait a while.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:22:08 pm »
Yeah all still up in the air about the euro version, nothing confirmed for the US then.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 05:38:49 pm »
Last I read there were no plans for MS6 here.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 01:45:52 am »
My understanding is that the Mazdaspeed3 has been a much bigger success over here than the MS6.  I personally have seen a decent number of MS3s out there, but have never once seen an MS6 on the roads.  The MS3 also earned more critical acclaim from automotive magazines.  It's basically swept every single C&D hot hatch shootout, and it beat the WRX and the Ralliart in an Edmunds test, for example. 

Now that the North American Mazda6 is not the same car that underpins the second-generation Mazda6 MPS, I can't imagine that they'd sell a Mazdaspeed6 here (either the European car, or a faster version of the US model).

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12408
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 11:02:38 am »
The reason you haven't seen a Speed 6 on the road is likely that they are really really really hard to spot.  Differences between it and the regular 6 are visible enough when you see the two side by side, but on it's own, it just looks like a 6.  But it is true that they didn't sell nearly as well as the 3.

The Speed 6 was just a terrific driver's car.  I am not hopeful for such a model in the current generation, though.  Bigger, softer, more luxurious seems to be the beat that Mazda is marching to - along with Honda.  Mazdaspeed freaks will likely have to stick with the 3.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 12:15:47 pm »
Mazdaspeed freaks will likely have to stick with the 3.
Fortunately it looks like the next gen Mazda 3 will have a Mazdaspeed version much sooner than before.  Its already been spotted in spy photos.  Its just big enough that it might pass for some people looking for that kind of size/performance mix.

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 12:53:31 pm »
The reason you haven't seen a Speed 6 on the road is likely that they are really really really hard to spot.  Differences between it and the regular 6 are visible enough when you see the two side by side, but on it's own, it just looks like a 6.  But it is true that they didn't sell nearly as well as the 3.

The Speed 6 was just a terrific driver's car.  I am not hopeful for such a model in the current generation, though.  Bigger, softer, more luxurious seems to be the beat that Mazda is marching to - along with Honda.  Mazdaspeed freaks will likely have to stick with the 3.

Jaeger

The Speed6 has a very distinctive hood.  If one had ever been sold in Southern Oregon, I would have seen it by now. 

I'm not saying the Speed6 was a bad car, but from reviews I've read, it wasn't as good relatively to its competition as the Speed3 was relative to its.  That doesn't mean it's not a great car, but it doesn't dominate the segment at its price point.  For example, while the Speed3 has dominated every C&D sport compact test it's entered, the Speed6 came in fourth out of five in C&D's "everyday heros" ($30k sport sedans) test:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/2006_acura_tsx_vs_honda_accord_mazdaspeed_6_pontiac_g6_vw_jetta_comparison_test

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12408
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 01:53:36 pm »

Jaeger

The Speed6 has a very distinctive hood.  If one had ever been sold in Southern Oregon, I would have seen it by now. 

I'm not saying the Speed6 was a bad car, but from reviews I've read, it wasn't as good relatively to its competition as the Speed3 was relative to its.  That doesn't mean it's not a great car, but it doesn't dominate the segment at its price point.  For example, while the Speed3 has dominated every C&D sport compact test it's entered, the Speed6 came in fourth out of five in C&D's "everyday heros" ($30k sport sedans) test:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/2006_acura_tsx_vs_honda_accord_mazdaspeed_6_pontiac_g6_vw_jetta_comparison_test

If I were voting, the Speed 6 and TSX would have been 1 and 2, respectively.  Both cars recieved SERIOUS consideration when I was making a purchase decision for my '01 Maxima SE.

Yes, I know about the bulging hood - but it's not that pronounced from several paces.  There is a black(ish) Speed 6 in my neighborhood and a black GT as well - I have to do a double-take to make sure which is which notwithstanding the differences in exterior styling and colour shade.

I don't think Mazda marketed that model particularly well.  When I was shopping, the dealer was practically willing to give it away - including completely retro-fitting the two-tone "Panda" interior inside a vehicle whose exterior colour dictated all-black only.  And notwithstanding C&D's lack of affection, I seem to recall a review by Laurance Yap right here on this site comparing it favourably to an Audi S4. 

Jaeger

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 09:19:35 pm »
It's a shame really as I really liked the old mazdaspeed 6.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 12:31:06 pm »
I hadn't read that old Car and Driver article with the MS6 for a few years.  Interesting that the only negatives that seemingly knocked it out of the top spots were related to noise, harshness and lack of creature comforts (such as sunroof, leather and power seats).  Seems to me, many of us looking for a good, solid, fun, yet reliable and reasonably practical car would eat that up. 

Maybe just bad timing for the Mazdaspeed6 before?  I've got to wonder how many first generation Mazdaspeed3 owners would be looking to replace their MS3s within the next year or so with the next move-up the Mazda corporate ladder.  For those folks, a MS6 now would likely fit the bill.  Further, the Mazdaspeed name is starting to build more cache, thanks in no small part to the Mazdaspeed3's successes.   

I know for me, looking toward a more family-oriented car for the MX5 replacement, an updated version of the Mazdaspeed6 would have been very high on my wishlist indeed.  Good, powerful turbo engine, stickshift and AWD with a usably-sized interior and cargo space?  Yes please!
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 12:37:04 pm »
 ??? ::) TRIPLETS.... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ggweci

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-0
  • Out driving…
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Honda Passport EX-L, 2011 Honda CRV EX
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 04:00:27 pm »
Good, powerful turbo engine, stickshift and AWD with a usably-sized interior and cargo space?  Yes please!

What would be even better would be the above in a wagon version!

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 08:49:55 pm »
Good, powerful turbo engine, stickshift and AWD with a usably-sized interior and cargo space?  Yes please!

Or Hatch.
They should have stuck with the original MSP6 design as a hatch.
This would have competed well with Legacy.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 09:03:15 pm »
For some reason the MS6 sold pretty well here. There are likely a few dozen around. I saw one today when out for a brief errand.

I seem to remember reviewers complain about pervasive understeer but I could be mistaken.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 09:09:10 pm »
I also remember a few moans about the hard suspension...

I think it's a pretty neat Mazda though....

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 08:19:04 am »
There were a number of things that killed the Speed 6

No Automatic-The non harcore people didn't want a 4 door with a stick. As much as we on this site love manuals its been proven time and time again that manual tranny 4 doors are very low volume (Note all the competative 4 doors that are auto/cvt only)
Clutch issues_ not that it wasn't up to the task but the clutch was very touchy. It was very hard to drive smoothly and every review picked upon it. If you are forcing people to go manual it had better be a good one
Heat soak/octane issues- Boost was retarded and max power not made unless you could find and run 94 octane. Widley reported in reviews.

My own opinion is that it also just wasn't enough of an improvement over the speed 3. Sure it was bigger and had AWD but the best PerforMING mazda was the speed 3. it was quicker, faster handeled better was considerably cheaper and the 6 wasn't ahuge leap in interior quality or space forward.

They got killed by not getting it "right" at the start.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 08:44:28 am »

I'd vote for a Mazdaspeed5 - likely easier to do with underlying mechanichals being similar to the MS3.
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 09:48:45 am »
Heat soak/octane issues- Boost was retarded and max power not made unless you could find and run 94 octane. Widley reported in reviews.

So what did Mazda do to rectify this for the MazdaSpeed3?  Aside from the number of drivewheels, I thought they were the same powertrain, no?

And FWIW, I didn't find the clutch all that difficult to modulate in my admitedly short drive.