Author Topic: Cigar Smoker's Paradise....(UPDATED WITH REVIEWS)  (Read 5918 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Cigar Smoker's Paradise....(UPDATED WITH REVIEWS)
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:34:45 pm »
I'm a HUGE fan of cigars, and will be traveling to the midwest's largest humidor this Thursday.  As a bonus, Jonathan Drew, President of Drew Estates will be there.  Free cigars, fully catered, free stuff, by one get one free.  I'm pretty excited.  I have never been to this place.  Over 1700 different types of cigars, a 2500 sq. foot smoking lounge with plasma TV.  They are going to have to kick me out of this place!!  I'll post pics and give a write up of the event when I come back for those who care.....

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 03:27:40 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: Cigar Smoker's Paradise....
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 08:25:44 pm »
Make sure you are well within your Canada Customs quota on your return.  I don't want to hear any whining about cavity searches and seized contraband.  :popo:  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 08:33:23 pm »
^^Well that would be ZERO on return.  You have to be out 48 hours to be able to bring back 50 sticks.

I can usually bring back 3-5 without paying duty.  I usually say "Picked up some cheap cigars for my dad's retirement party" and they usually let me pass.

Cavity searches aren't terrible if they're done gently....:)

vdk

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 11:32:27 pm »
no cubans though.. damn embargo..  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 11:43:55 pm »
Cubans = Over rated.

I have an impressive cigar collection, and of those there are but a few Cubans that are "great" IMO.  I do love the absolute silkiness of a Cuban wrapper, however.  There are some VERY impressive Dominican cigars.  I'll match an Oliva Series V with most any Cuban cigar on the market.  And I'm madly in love with Maduro wrappers, and there has been only ONE Cuban ever made with a Maduro wrapper....

And next is the cost....It's just out of the world pricing for cigars in Canada.  A good Cuban will set you back $20 at least.  The Dominicans I like are $15-$20 here.  In the US the are about $5 for the SAME cigar.

FWIW, most people order Cubans from an online source...:)  Much cheaper than buying them here....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:47:56 pm by rrocket »

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:22:15 am »
I agree American's like Cuban Cigars (any kind) because they can't have them.

I'm an Arturo Fuentes fan. OpusX is consistent in quality and taste.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 07:52:37 pm »
..HOW tha HELL d'ya see the plasma TEEVEES thru All that FUG!!!!!!!...PUFF the Magic Dragon is on @ 8pm............. ;D...I take it there is a NO SMOKING SIGN in the WASHROOMS...... :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:54:11 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 08:11:34 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:  And I'm sure inhaling the smoke from expensive burning leaves causes a MUCH higher quality cancer, too... :rofl: :rofl:
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 03:26:58 pm »
Well it was a great time.  Even won a nice Zippo utility lighter as a door prize.  The food was great...all homemade.  Pasta, chicken wings and outstanding large meatballs.  Pizza came later.

The humidor was fantastic.  There were maybe a couple of cigars I couldn't find (Arturo Fuentes "Work of Art" Maduro and Padron 2000 Maduro.)  The selection and prices were quite good. 

Here's what I smoked:

Onyx Reserve Maduro Robusto: Well, I was really expecting alot from this stick.  It's been rated as high as a 94, and it's one I've been wanting to try for awhile and just haven't gotten around to it.  I've had a few Onyx before..namely the 642 and 650.  But the Reserve is supposed to be on another level.  And for me..it wasn't.  It had the usual maduro flavors of cocoa and coffee with some spiciness.  But it just didn't knock my socks off like I was hoping.  It smoke (to me) like an average maduro.  Nothing special...but not bad.  I thought I might have a cold coming on (been slamming the Cold-FXs for a couple of days) so I'm not sure if my palate was "off"??  I cleansed my palate like I usually do pre-smoke and between smokes by melting a piece of 85% dark chocolate on my tongue.  I think I'll re-visit this cigar again just to make sure I didn't have a dud.

Drew Estates Tabak Especial Corono After my meal, I decided to try one of the event sponsor's cigars.  And the Tabak Especial was recommended to me by the rep.  Drew Estates makes some unique cigars.  Many of them are a blend of great tobaccos that are then either infused or mixed with botanicals not otherwise found in cigars.  They are unique, that's for sure.  I've had and enjoyed the Roam and Kuba Kuba in the past.  Both of those sticks smell almost like incense when they are lit they are so heavy with botanicals.  Anyways...the special thing about the Tabak Especial is that it's infused with coffee.  Well....this cigar sucked, really.  I didn't even finish it, leaving a full 1/3 of it to die in the ashtray.  I could taste a VERY mild coffee taste...and the tobacco itself was rather mild.  It's not that I don't like mild cigars...since they are good for smoking on an empty stomach as the medium-full bodied ones can make you dizzy/buzz if your belly isn't full.  My friend also tried one..and his draw was too tight and he didn't finish his either.  Will not try again.

NUB 358  This is a new type of cigar made by the Oliva family.  Oliva is my favorite brand ATM.  I had been putting off smoking this one as well, mainly due to the odd sizes.  The NUB looks exactly as it sounds.  A nub is a cigar that has been smoke almost all the way down.  All of the NUB cigars are only about 3-4" long..but with gigantic ring sizes.  The one I chose was the "358" with a Conneticut wrapper.  They also have a Cameroom and Habano wrapper.  I just chose the Conneticut to keep it a bit on the smoother/creamier side.  This is a very finely made cigar.  The wrapper is perfect and beautiful.  The cigar feels large.  Just a tad over 3 " with a massive 58 gauge ring.  That's about 1.9" diam.  The pre-smoke draw was perfect.  So easy you could breathe through it!  Once lit, this cigar did not disappoint.  Amazing quality, burn and taste.  Very creamy...with pronounced tastes of buttery toast and some cedar.  Thick, thick smoke.  I thought because of the stubbie size, this would be a quick smoke.  Not so.  It lasted 45 minutes.  I suspect it would go longer, but I was enjoying it so much I may have been smoking it rather quick.  I REALLY like this cigar and bought 2 of tem to take home with me, along with a CAO MX2 Maduro (yummy!).  Overall...this is a FANTASTIC cigar, and definitely a new smoking experience.  I'm so impressed, I will be ordering a box shortly.  I've included a full size pic.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 03:29:12 pm »
:laugh: :laugh:  And I'm sure inhaling the smoke from expensive burning leaves causes a MUCH higher quality cancer, too... :rofl: :rofl:

Well you don't inhale cigars...but still not a healthy habit.

I also drive luxury and sports cars so that if I go in an accident, it will also be of much higher quality.

So I have all my bases covered.  ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 04:24:41 pm »

I also drive luxury and sports cars so that if I go in an accident, it will also be of much higher quality.

You probably in hale more of that crap from just being in the room :hurl:

Just like Clinton I never inhaled weed :rofl:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Cigar Smoker's Paradise....(UPDATED WITH REVIEWS)
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 06:48:51 pm »
When you die, your lungs will fetch a lot of money as a transplant. 
  I am interested in these "botanicals not otherwise found in cigars"   BC Bud?   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 10:50:03 pm »

FFS AB lighten up! If you don't like cigars don't bother commenting, let the man have his fun...

Sounds like a good time RR, I can only partialy smoke a cigar regardless of how good it is, as I'm not really a smoker, but it makes for good reading nonetheless.
 :)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 08:42:14 am »
Hey, I tiring to save his life besides   RR does not give a sh$t on what I write ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 06:08:21 am »

and

RR does not give a sh$t on what I write

Yea, you would think that.  But the air ducts for intake and exhaust were HUGE.  Plus there were a dozen of these ceiling fans I had never seen before.  They actually looked like a car tire with rim.  But once I looked at it stopped, the middle had all kinds of angled slats to it.  They pulled the smoke way up to the high ceiling were the exhaust pulled it out.  They actually looked like GIANT wheels from a squirrel cage blower.  I'm not sure what they're called....but they seemed very effective. 

As for as listening to you...I certainly do listen.  I even took your advice to heart when getting the proper exhaust blower for my smoking room at home.  I would have bought a lesser product if not for your advice.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 06:17:04 am »
When you die, your lungs will fetch a lot of money as a transplant. 
  I am interested in these "botanicals not otherwise found in cigars"   BC Bud?   

No, unfortunately nothing like that.   :'(  Just like how aging cigars in a humidor impart the cedar into the cigar, many of the Drew Estate tobaccos (mostly the Acid line) are aged for months in a room called a cuarto aromaticos (aroma rooms).  These rooms are lined/stocked with over 150 essential oils, herbs and botanicals.  So instead of the traditional cigar aroma, they smell floral or botanical.  The Acid Roam for example smells a bit like Lavender to my nose...those I suspect it's so complex that I'll never be 100% sure what I'm smelling.  But they are very aromatic, and many cigar lover's won't touch anything as different as these.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 06:35:00 am »
Thanks RR, I get it... just as infusing "botanicals" into what is essentially vodka makes Gin.  ( Juniper berries as the dominant and all kinds of things extra such as  Almonds,Lemon peel,licorice,Orris root,Angelica, Coriander ,Cassia bark,Cubeb berries and Grains of Paradise... reading from a bottle of Bombay Sapphire)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 07:46:08 am »
"As for as listening to you...I certainly do listen.  I even took your advice to heart when getting the proper exhaust blower for my smoking room at home.  I would have bought a lesser product if not for your advice....."
Work stuff is one thing ;D but has an ex smoker talk about smoking what do you expect me to say :rofl:
I always find it funny the  people who usually complain about air in the office usually have a pack of smokes on the desk :rofl:

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 09:37:08 am »
Thanks RR, I get it... just as infusing "botanicals" into what is essentially vodka makes Gin.  ( Juniper berries as the dominant and all kinds of things extra such as  Almonds,Lemon peel,licorice,Orris root,Angelica, Coriander ,Cassia bark,Cubeb berries and Grains of Paradise... reading from a bottle of Bombay Sapphire)

:rofl2: I was going to comment on your exquisite knowledge of Gin until I got to this line...

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 10:39:15 am »
:rofl2: I was going to comment on your exquisite knowledge of Gin until I got to this line...

:rofl2: It does kind of suggest that the Gin is close at hand though doesn't it!