Author Topic: CTC Review: 2009 Audi TTS Roadster  (Read 27090 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Re: CTC Review: 2009 Audi TTS Roadster
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 01:58:55 pm »
@carcrazed, yeah, the old 'BMW' joke is a Montreal favourite  ;D

Offline DK

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 05:53:38 pm »
Good job.

rjames

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 08:48:16 pm »
I dunno guys.. I wouldnt mind having one of these as a winter runabout. although it would have to be a hard top, not a vert'. My cooper S has served me really well this winter so far. Its quite low, light weight, and has more than enough power... If it had AWD it would pretty much be the ultimate winter machine. we have 8+ inches of snow already, and we get a couple more every day it seems like... doesnt bother my car at all. just plows right through it.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 05:28:24 am »
I dunno guys.. I wouldnt mind having one of these as a winter runabout. although it would have to be a hard top, not a vert'. My cooper S has served me really well this winter so far. Its quite low, light weight, and has more than enough power... If it had AWD it would pretty much be the ultimate winter machine. we have 8+ inches of snow already, and we get a couple more every day it seems like... doesnt bother my car at all. just plows right through it.
Save your pennies (Twonnies in this case..) and buy a used one of these. Same low ground clearance though. ::)
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Feds

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 08:45:22 am »
Up on the driver's side fender, near the base of the windshield!  What do I win?

And do I see that we are into Protege5's-in-the-winter stories?  Last year when Niagara got 30cm in a day, I took my winter-tire equipped P5, complete with my wife, inlaws,  and newborn son through the short hills at the south end of St. Catharines.  The only trouble I had was when a snowplow blew a stopsign (because he probably was not expecting anyone else on the road), and I had to Scandinavian flick around him.  Absolutely would have been a crash in anything bigger/heavier.

Offline gpws2k

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen, 2011 Mazda3 GT
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 09:53:06 am »
I'd have to guess the same as Feds on the washer cap (kudos on the speedy answer by the way!).  Can my runner-up prize be a speedy resolution to the transit strike?  Finding parking space near campus during exams is turning out be harder than the exams themselves.
You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 10:32:18 am »
@Kevlar, different strokes for different folks. While I agree the original TT coupe was a knockout and a classic in the looks department, I’ve never liked the looks of the roadster versions. They just looked unfinished and bathtub-like, and not in a cool, Porsche 356 way. 

I’ve never driven a TT, but have had the chance to drive various boxsters. The Porsche just drives so well, which is why enthusiasts – and, yes, poseurs as well - with the means have made it so popular. It’s mid-engined and RWD, something the TT, even with its various gizmos and engine tweaks aside, will never be. As for looks, i love how the boxster looks, but if it drove as well as it does and looked like an Aztek, I would still buy one.

Agreed that price on a new Boxster is way up there, but who needs a new one? If I had $35k burning a hole in my pocket, I’d be all over a 2005 5-speed, non-S. For the same money, i wouldn't go anywhere near a used Audi roadster.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 02:04:31 pm »
Ahh Kevlar, you blasphemous boob.  Don't you know you're not supposed to take the P-car's name in vain?  Styling is a subjective point and I suppose you ARE entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it might be.   ;)

I've got to agree with Lebowski though:  styling issues aside, there's no comparison between the driving dynamics of the Boxster and the TT (at least the past generation TT I drove -- haven't had an opportunity in the new ones yet).  The Porsche will get your heartrate up by simply turning the key.  The Audi needs 2" of snow on the road before I'd even crack a smile over driving it. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 02:19:44 pm »
 :iagree:

The TT doesn't offer the same performance as the Boxster.  The previous generation TT (although pretty - loved that baseball stitching) didn't hold a light to the Boxster or even the BMW Z4 in terms of dynamics.  I understand the new TT is a step closer in comparison...

Wing, you've driven a plethora of Boxsters recently.  How does it compare to the TT-S?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 04:51:48 pm »
Patience all, tonight I will write my driving impressions.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 05:04:41 pm »
 ::) SO  YOU ARE THA TROLL........... :P  click on the secret Santaya
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 08:35:37 pm »
Ahh Kevlar, you blasphemous boob.  Don't you know you're not supposed to take the P-car's name in vain?  Styling is a subjective point and I suppose you ARE entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it might be.   ;)

I've got to agree with Lebowski though:  styling issues aside, there's no comparison between the driving dynamics of the Boxster and the TT (at least the past generation TT I drove -- haven't had an opportunity in the new ones yet).  The Porsche will get your heartrate up by simply turning the key.  The Audi needs 2" of snow on the road before I'd even crack a smile over driving it. 

Regardless of the handling prowess, you can't honestly say that the Boxster is pretty, or even exclusive?  I'd have the Coxster anyway, sorry, Cayman S!  :P :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 07:35:29 am »
 Kevlars starting UP a "STOP THE COXSTER" movement.......i can just feel it......... :o  TT TT BANG BANG........
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 07:37:29 am by safristi »

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 09:37:01 am »
@wing, nice write-up and i appreciate your comparison of the cayman/boxster vs. TTS. The audi does seem like a great car.

At the end of the day, i believe the only true -if unspoken- disadvantage in choosing the boxster, for most people anyway, is not the lack of quattro, but rather the prospect of dealing with the baggage that comes with owning any new porsche, i.e. "sure, this car is great to drive, but i don't want to look like another d-bag in a porsche, so i'll take the Audi."

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 10:43:07 am »
^ Haven't you been watching Top Gear?  All the cocks these days are buying Audis!   :rofl2:

I, too, would prefer a Boxster/Cayman to a TT.  I do love the idea of an AWD coupe that could be driven year round, but realistically, I think if you're spending this much on a toy, you should be buying the best roadster you can, not the most practical.  :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 10:45:05 am »
The Boxster is much more practical than the TT, I had yet another box today that wouldn't fit but would have easily fit in the Boxster!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 11:08:57 am »
 ??? ::) Hmm so a Box fits inna BOXTER.......wots fits inna TT.....a BRA??.................

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 12:32:55 pm »
HA! I wonder if we have the same friends, Kevlar, as my buddies, too, take special pleasure in ribbing me to no end about driving a Bimmer, a.k.a. the Ultimate D-bag Conveyance. I try to defend my car by mentioning that a) I bought it used, so it wasn’t too expensive, and b) I’m a car enthusiast and really do appreciate the difference between it and, say, a vw golf. No dice. But I admit it is amusing, especially when the ribbing is unexpected, i.e. I’ll be telling a seemingly car-unrelated story, and I'll get ambushed:

Me: “yeah, so I was just leaving the grocery store when I realized I forgot to buy milk, so I had to head back”

Friend: “oh yeah? *grins* Did you take the BMW???”

Hey, it’s a small price to pay for enjoying our rides. Also, as an aside, ever since buying my car, i find that I've been driving with a greater degree of courtesy towards other motorists because I feel like I have to compensate for the stigma associated with driving a BMW. So be it!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 12:50:48 pm »
The Boxster is much more practical than the TT, I had yet another box today that wouldn't fit but would have easily fit in the Boxster!

You're not trying hard enough, I managed to fit an entire home theatre surround system in the exige!  :rofl2:

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2008, 03:57:59 pm »
would this fit?

Yeah didn't think so ;)