Author Topic: 2010 Kia Soul  (Read 30817 times)

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
2010 Kia Soul
« on: December 09, 2008, 02:39:37 pm »
Looks pretty cool to me.

What's new: 2010 Kia Soul
Funky, fun, practical

Trevor Hofmann
Canadian Auto Press

Hardly changed from concept form, Kia's new Soul could be the ideal car for the current market situation. Compact, extremely roomy inside for five in comfort, with a little luggage to boot, thrifty on fuel yet apparently sporty enough to be enjoyable on the open road, and extremely stylish in its cubic configuration.

Still, it's unfair to dub it a "cube" as it's more gracefully penned than the Nissan that goes by that boxy name, and much more alluring than the Scion XBOX... er... xB, or Honda's Element. No, while totally cool in its own right, the Soul will attract a wide range of buyers from all over the spectrum, and not just among the young and hip crowd. The same attributes that make a vehicle attractive to ski and surf minded young adults make it ideal for empty nesters hitting the nursery (horticultural nursery... of course) on weekends or picking up the grandkids for a day at the cottage.

"The Soul is for those who love individuality but don't like to be categorized by finding the next best thing," offered Michael Sprague, vice president of marketing, KMA. "Indicative of the new design direction of KMA, Soul is an attractive and customizable vehicle for those looking for something with a little more personality than other vehicles on the market today."

A first-hand look at the Soul based on the various auto shows at which it has appeared reveals stylish seating fabrics complementing bright, fun exterior colours, while a clean, uncluttered dash ensconces attractive three-dial instrumentation and LCD illumination. A stylish floating centre stack design shows off a straight-forward, simple to operate HVAC system and high-grade stereo interface.

That audio system gets an AM/FM/CD/MP3 head unit enhanced with satellite radio, plus USB input jacks can be found in the centre stack with full iPod controllability through the stereo or via the steering wheel controls. Now, that's what I like. Even better, an Audio Upgrade Package can be had on top-trim levels that adds a centre speaker, a subwoofer and a 315-watt external amplifier.

The more powerful stereo can only be had in the two nicest trim levels, Soul! and Soul sport (lower case intentional). The little compact people mover is available in two other trims too, mind you, the base model simply designated Soul and the second-rung version Soul+.

Even in base guise it gets plenty of standard features, including black door handles and side mirrors, body-coloured bumpers, a rear wiper/washer and 15-inch steel wheels wrapped in P195/65R15 tires. Not a bad start. A little more money will get you a Soul+, which adds keyless remote entry, solar glass, privacy glass on the rear side and rear windows, body-colour handles and power side mirrors along with 16-inch alloy rims covered in P205/55R16 rubber.

The Soul+ also boasts standard air conditioning, cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls, Bluetooth hands-free connectivity, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, and tweeter speakers to enhance the stereo's sound. Soul+ buyers can opt for an audio upgrade package, a power moonroof and floor mats that are standard on the Soul!

Additionally, that third-rung Soul! gets fog lights, 18-inch alloy wheels riding on P225/45R18 tires, plus it benefits from a special beige and black interior with cloth seats and metal-finish accents. The abovementioned audio option can be added on, and is also extra with the Soul sport which additionally ups the ante with a sport-tuned suspension, metal foot pedals, red and black interior trim with sport cloth seats and metal-finish accents throughout, extended side sills, a rear spoiler, 18-inch alloy wheels and unique front and rear fascias.

While it seats five, Kia's flexible seating and storage system should intrigue buyers. The seats fold in a variety of ways for optimizing people and cargo carrying duties, the rearmost split 60/40, while the car features fourteen "storage zones" for stowing all of your knickknacks.

Kia introduced the Soul to North America at the Los Angeles auto show, not far from where it was initially designed, and again it stole the hearts of show goers. The metallic green colour chosen for the photo release that preceded its LA intro is more subdued than Kia has shown other markets, although it is expected a full palette will be available wherever it is sold.

While it was previously reported that the North American Soul would deliver more power than the base models of other markets with only the 140+horsepower 2.0-litre four-cylinder being offered, fuel efficiency has been given top priority and a 120-horsepower 1.6-litre four will be the standard engine in the base five-speed manual-equipped model. Soul+, Soul! and Soul sport models will get the peppier powerplant, which should also deliver thrifty mileage in the neighbourhood of 7.8 L/100 km (30 mpg).

Additionally, a five-speed manual will be standard equipment, with a four-speed automatic optional. I've tried similar powertrain combinations in other Kia models, and the 2.0-litre makes for sporty performance and thrifty fuel economy, while the latter should be more than adequate for those more price sensitive.

Rather than build the Soul on an existing platform, Kia has developed an all-new front-drive architecture with an especially long wheelbase for optimizing interior room. It measures 2,550 mm (100.4 inches) wheel to wheel, while the entire car stretches 4,105 mm (161.6 inches) in length. It's also 1,786 mm (70.3 inches) wide and 1,610 mm (63.4 inches) tall.

With a long wheelbase, the concern would always be torsional rigidity, or the lack thereof. Kia offset this problem with more than seventy-percent high-tensile steel, for maintaining overall structural strength without adding weight, so the handling, ride quality and overall refinement is good, as is crash worthiness.

Such safety concerns can be left curbside as over and above its rigid body structure the Soul will be well prepared for any potential accident. Each model, regardless of trim level gets front seat active headrests, dual front advanced airbags, front seat-mounted and full-length side curtain airbags and a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).  What's more, ABS and electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD), electronic stability control (ESC), and rear discs are standard on Soul+, Soul! and Soul sport models. The base Soul gets drums.

A car's handling, making it capable of avoiding an accident in the first place, can often be its most important safety consideration. On that note, the Soul mounts a fully independent suspension setup on a front sub-frame, with MacPherson struts and coil springs that should deliver good response to steering input. In the rear, a sub-frame is the basis for a transverse torsion beam axle with trailing arms, optimizing ride quality and maximizing the cargo area.

Hauling things in mind, Kia will offer a number of OEM-backed add-ons available at the dealer level so that Soul customers can personalize their vehicles. Items include the usual stuff that a Scion dealer would offer its xB customers, such as aerodynamic body kits and exterior garnishes that Kia calls Soul Essentials, plus roof rails, an exterior cargo box, two different bike carriers, a ski rack, various floor mats, a cargo mat, car net, trailer hitch, sunroof visor, and many more typical accessory items.

But then there are a few oddities like an SUV-like roof-top basket, like something off of Land Rover Defender, a stylish red and silver engine shroud, a B-pillar appliqué, and body decals. Performance accessories can be had from the dealer level too, such as anti-sway bars, lowering springs, a cold air intake system, chromed cat back exhaust system, billet aluminum oil cap, aluminum fuel door, a set of aluminum foot pedals, and wheels of course, in silver and black plus red and black designs. The accessories shown are exclusive to Canada, although other markets should get similar options.

The Soul is expected to arrive in Kia dealerships across the country in the spring of 2009, with the South Korean brand hoping to attract an entirely new type of customer, in similar fashion to how Toyota widened its reach with Scion.

Preliminary Specifications (2010 Kia Soul):

Body Type: 5-door liftback
Layout: front engine, FWD
Base Engine (est.): 120-hp, 115 lb-ft of torque, 1.6L, 16-valve DOHC I-4
Opt. Engine (est.): 140-hp, 136 lb-ft of torque, 2.0L, 16-valve DOHC I-4
Transmission: 5-spd manual (opt. 4-spd auto)
Brakes (front/rear): disc/drum (opt. disc/disc ABS, EBD, traction and stability control)
Dimensions (L/W/H/WB): 4,105 / 1,786 / 1,610 / 2,550 mm (161.6 / 70.3 / 63.4 / 100.4 in)
Curb Weight (est.): 1,428 kg (3,150 lbs)
Tires: P195/65R15 (opt. P205/55R16; P225/45R18)
Capacity (trunk/folded): TBA
Fuel Economy (city/hwy): TBA
Warranty (mo/km): 60/100,000 comprehensive
Competitors: Chevrolet HHR, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Honda Element, Mazda5, Nissan Cube, Scion xB

© Canwest News Service 2008

http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=3440fcd8-f92d-4897-a916-b164a6bbe38a
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:44:48 pm by DockMan »
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Kia Soul
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:41:56 pm »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 02:53:12 pm »
Looks like a sensible vehicle.    Bigger engine ( 'cos it is HEAVY for its size)  5 speed, disc/disc/ebd/abs/traction  205/55/16 tires ( no dumb 18" on a car like this) would be the good one I think.

Not bad looking, nice and plain with no Bling.

$22k ? $24k?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 07:37:30 pm »
It looks ugly ;D

vdk

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:58:10 am »
ugly or not.. what's the price of those things..

i doubt they'll sell any for $22k..

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 06:52:33 am »
On my last trip in November I took a couple of shots of these "mini-esque" Soul's.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:45:45 pm »
 If it's as good as it looks and the price is right, Kia has a winner on it's hands with the Soul. I like the name, too.  :thumbup:

If the Not-So-Big Three made cars like this maybe they wouldn't be begging for bailout money. I can't wait to try one.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 03:26:51 pm »
If it's as good as it looks and the price is right, Kia has a winner on it's hands with the Soul. I like the name, too.  :thumbup:

If the Not-So-Big Three made cars like this maybe they wouldn't be begging for bailout money. I can't wait to try one.

X2

If the mid line Soul+ is priced below 20K or similar to a Vibe/Matrix, it'll be Kia's first winner in our market.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 03:39:20 pm »
I intend to get in on whatever passes for a Kia Soul test drive event at my dealer.  The timing should be perfect; My Sorento will be due for its servicing about the time the Soul will be introduced in Canada (Feb. 09).
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 07:25:41 pm »
The Soul must be a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures. Based on the dimensions quoted in the story, the Soul isn't actually very big at all. Compared to my Versa  it has a shorter wheelbase by 50mm, a shorter overall length by a whopping 190mm, it's heavier by 180 kilos (!) and the base engine has 2 less HP. It is taller by 75mm though, which is good news for people who like wearing really big hats.  ;D I think Kia should consider dropping the base engine altogether and just go with the larger 2L, 120HP seems a tad inadequate for a car this porky.

All that said, I still like it. It'll be interesting to see what the Soul's actually like to drive. :)

Greg B.

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 08:00:06 pm »
I wonder if there is any truth to the rumor that they intended to call it the Kia Flounder but the name got lost in translation...  ;)

Seriously, based on the exterior, that gives a whole new meaning to the term "a rolling penalty box".

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 05:15:41 pm »
US pricing looks very good, if this leak is accurate. Local dealer has no Canadian prices yet, though the vehicles themselves should be here soon.

I'll be interested in this one.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 08:01:42 am »
Soul! looks like a nice package and if it's less than $18 grand here - I think it will have some fans. Even in base trim and under $15 would win it a lot of friends methinks.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 08:58:49 am »
I think the Soul will sell very well. Now Kia needs a good ad campaign, and catchy commercials like this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e4wiY3JLvQ

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 02:12:15 pm »
Looks like a very practical car - should sell well.  Though there's also the Nissan Cube coming out which will probably be good competition.

dorin

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 03:33:01 pm »
Looks really nice, but I definitely agree that it's too heavy.  There's no excuse for making it 3150+ lbs - that's just bad design/engineering.  It should come in at less than 3000 lbs fully loaded.

dorin

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 03:34:29 pm »
In the bigger picture, weight seems to be Hyundai/Kia's Achilles heel right now.  They've got the quality down, their engines are acceptable, but their cars seem to come in on the porky side. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 03:39:59 pm »
But do you need the weight to make a cage around the passenger compartment to get the 5 star safety rating ???

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 09:20:31 am »
In the bigger picture, weight seems to be Hyundai/Kia's Achilles heel right now.  They've got the quality down, their engines are acceptable, but their cars seem to come in on the porky side. 

They are not alone. The Saturn Vue is a heavy mother too but I think it's all part of the safety problem. In order to meet crash standards more bulk has to be built in. Crash ratings determine insurance costs and the higher the rating the lower the premium?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 12:05:21 pm »
Looks really nice, but I definitely agree that it's too heavy.  There's no excuse for making it 3150+ lbs - that's just bad design/engineering.  It should come in at less than 3000 lbs fully loaded.

I haven't seen any official numbers, but Edmunds put the Sport MT trim (loaded) at just under 2,900 lbs.