Author Topic: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid performance numbers  (Read 3040 times)

Mitlov

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid performance numbers
« on: December 09, 2008, 10:46:44 am »
Keep in mind that (1) these numbers are in US gallons, and (2) the EPA rates the Toyota Camry Hybrid (very popular where I live) at 33 mpg city, 34 mpg highway.

We're in the City of Angels this week to drive a bunch of new Fords, including the new 2010 Mustang and Fusion. We started off Monday afternoon with a mileage challenge in the new 2010 Fusion Hybrid. We can't share our driving impressions until Saturday, but we can tell you the results of the mileage contest. Ford hybrid applications manager Gil Portalatin used his intimate knowledge of the car to set some benchmarks the day before. Ford claims the Fusion will get at least 39 mpg city/ 37 mpg highway when the EPA numbers are calculated in the coming weeks. Portalatin got 46 mpg on the first segment of the drive route and 43.5 mpg on the hillier second part. Among the journalists on hand, Car and Driver's Steve Siler recorded a 43.6 mpg result on the first part. After Drew Phillips and I switched places for the second segment, I achieved 43.1 mpg, which is a very impressive number for Ford's new mid-size sedan.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/09/autobloggreen-gets-43-1-mpg-in-the-2010-ford-fusion-hybrid/

So it not only outperforms the Toyota Camry Hybrid's numbers in a theoretical world, but its theoretical numbers are easily surpassed (admittedly by people who are probably driving hybrids like they're meant to be driven, by hypermiling). 

And overall, I've maintained for a while now that the Fusion/Milan is the most underrated car in the midsize family sedan market (good build quality, good materials, excellent seats, controlled ride, and probably the best steering I've ever felt in this genre).  This certainly doesn't change that assessment.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
Re: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid performance numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:05:15 am »
I am really impressed. Wish we could get this Fusion here in Brazil, it would be a success, as the current Fusion is.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:15:53 am by Wolverine »
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 11:07:26 am »
39mpg = 46.8 Imp mpg = 6L/100km
37mpg = 44.4 Imp mpg = 6.3L/100km

Those are pretty good numbers.

I really like the Fusion/Milan/MKZ. Very underrated. If we could get by with a sedan, it'd be a Fusion SEL with the four cylinder and manual tranny.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:09:45 am »
This is indeed impressive. With the mild facelift, it looks quite decent too (save for the chrome grill).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:11:32 am by carcrazy »

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 06:12:55 pm »
Looks very impressive and the facelift has done wonders for it...externally it looks better but it always looked pretty good from the outside.  By the pictures the interior is leaps and bounds above the earlier models.  I do hope to see allot more in the way of Fusions in the neighborhood.

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 02:22:41 pm »
"We started off Monday afternoon with a mileage challenge"

In warm California, an afternoon mileage challenge?  The engine is warm all the time and takes full advantage of the hybrid powertrain.

People will be very disappointed in our canadian winters when they'll only get about half those outstandig figures or about the same mileage as a regular Fusion.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:51:03 pm by Minou »

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 02:48:37 pm »
"We started off Monday afternoon with a mileage challenge"

In warm California, an afternoon mileage challenge?  The engine is warm all the time and takes full advantage of the hybride powertrain.

People will be very disappointed in our canadian winters when they'll only get about half those outstandig figures or about the same mileage as a regular Fusion.

Well, I believe this is something that happens with every car. So, a regular Fusion would still get about half of the mileage of the hybrid.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 12:14:01 pm »
So the reviews of this car have been coming out all over the place and it looks like a really good sedan.  If anyone asks me about what good mid-size sedans are on the market now...or will be shortly...this one will definitely be on my list of recommendations.  It sounds like even the hybrid is a solid offering...apparently the regenerative breaks and engine cutoff are essentially imperceptible (according to the reviews) so it feels and drives like a normal car with nothing special about it except that its got electric boost for a real kick if you need to get going for some reason and its fuel economy and emissions are better.

This is why Ford needs to survive the current downturn.

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 12:57:05 pm »
So the reviews of this car have been coming out all over the place and it looks like a really good sedan.  If anyone asks me about what good mid-size sedans are on the market now...or will be shortly...this one will definitely be on my list of recommendations.  It sounds like even the hybrid is a solid offering...apparently the regenerative breaks and engine cutoff are essentially imperceptible (according to the reviews) so it feels and drives like a normal car with nothing special about it except that its got electric boost for a real kick if you need to get going for some reason and its fuel economy and emissions are better.

See, this is good.  Certain people want to be seen as ultra-environmental.  In Ashland, Oregon, a wealthy and very liberal town, the Prius is everywhere, and Camry Hybrids are rare.  But a whole lot of people want to save money on their gas bill without making a big deal out of it.  The Camry Hybrid sells far, far better in Medford, Oregon (very "middle America") than the Prius does. 

The Volt may be a Prius-fighter for the showy ultra-environmentalists, but I suspect that the Fusion Hybrid is going to be a widespread success with middle America a the way the Volt never will be.

PMREdmonton

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 02:01:14 pm »
39mpg = 46.8 Imp mpg = 6L/100km
37mpg = 44.4 Imp mpg = 6.3L/100km

Those are pretty good numbers.

I really like the Fusion/Milan/MKZ. Very underrated. If we could get by with a sedan, it'd be a Fusion SEL with the four cylinder and manual tranny.

The other thing to remember here is the American EPA estimates tend to give much lower fuel economy than the Canadian testing so the Canadian numbers are likely to be better than the straight conversion of the American numbers into Imperial mpg or metric L/100kms.

I think as a point of comparison, the Toyota Camry Hybrid is rated 33/34 mpgUS or 7.1/6.9 metric while the Canadian numbers are 5.7/5.7 or roughly 20% lower than the Americans.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 02:15:42 pm »

See, this is good.  Certain people want to be seen as ultra-environmental.  In Ashland, Oregon, a wealthy and very liberal town, the Prius is everywhere, and Camry Hybrids are rare.  But a whole lot of people want to save money on their gas bill without making a big deal out of it.  The Camry Hybrid sells far, far better in Medford, Oregon (very "middle America") than the Prius does. 

The Volt may be a Prius-fighter for the showy ultra-environmentalists, but I suspect that the Fusion Hybrid is going to be a widespread success with middle America a the way the Volt never will be.
Agreed completely.  But I think this is a natural evolution of how these cars need to go.  Once upon a time it was just the Prius and the original Honda Insight.  They were small, weird, and funky.  They have both grown up a bit but they are still funky ...and that works for them.  But then the hybrid technology spread out to regular cars.

With the Volt and other cars like it...it'll start funky but if things go well for this technology then in 5-10 years "normal" cars will have the same system. They have to start somewhere...they should have done this a while back...but at least now the technology is being researched hard by many automakers and we'll see some positive movement there.

barrie1

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 09:25:21 pm »
I think it just shows to everyone Ford is not out of the game just yet with this design of vehicle which sounds like it will sell quite well. If the car is reliable then it will be a great hit for sure.  :)

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 11:02:23 pm »
I think it just shows to everyone Ford is not out of the game just yet with this design of vehicle which sounds like it will sell quite well. If the car is reliable then it will be a great hit for sure.  :)

This is a facelift, not an entirely new model.  The Fusion, which has been around since model year 2006 (i.e., calendar year 2005) is the most reliable midsize sedan on the market, according to Consumer Reports.  I see no reason why that should change with the facelift.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 11:42:10 am »
"COLD FUSION"...tho' a lovely IDEA didn't catch on with the POPULACE........despite it's great prospects.......so the PUBLIC decides again..............Ya Winsome! ya  lose some..................BETA MAX anyone............ :-\

tha FICKLE middle -FINGER of FATE.........who'd wanna BE a KAR CO.??........let CONGRESS DECIDE...just like with yer Boy/Girl_"FRIENDS" with benefitsBAIL_OUTS when they say MARRIAGE made in WASHINGTON.......... :rofl2: :rofl: :popo:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:44:46 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 05:50:12 am »
There will be long waiting periods for people who want a Fusion Hybrid as I think demand will be higher then what Ford can produce. From what I have read Ford is alloting 8 percent of total Fusion production which would be 12-15,000 hybrid units.
Long waits for the Escape Hybrid would be a factual indicator that there will be long waits for the Fusion Hybrid.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 07:53:14 am »
There will be long waiting periods for people who want a Fusion Hybrid as I think demand will be higher then what Ford can produce. From what I have read Ford is alloting 8 percent of total Fusion production which would be 12-15,000 hybrid units.
Long waits for the Escape Hybrid would be a factual indicator that there will be long waits for the Fusion Hybrid.

really , sales of a Civic hybrid appear to be dropping from checking the Canadian sales

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 11:46:46 pm »
The Civic Hybrid was never that popular if I remember correctly...although I do seen a few of them around on a regular basis.  I remember reading reviews that were only lukewarm to the model.  I remember slow to accelerate and the regenerative brakes were a bit disappointing apparently.

But it sounds like the Fusion Hybrid has neither issue. Plus a little shortage of hybrid models for the mid-size sedan would probably generate some good press for Ford.  Lets hope!