Author Topic: Almost bought the farm today...  (Read 13740 times)

UmroAyyar

Re: Almost bought the farm today...
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 10:12:24 pm »
Goodness! This is more scary than being robbed at gunpoint at point blank.

Glad everyone's ok.

dorin

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 10:22:12 pm »
Holy C-R-A-P!   :o :o :o    Glad to hear you and your folks are okay.

barrie1

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 11:06:58 pm »
I also am very Happy that you and your family are OK as Thankfully it just wasen't your time so enjoy your life as you all have Horseshoes in the correct places.  :)

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 11:14:23 pm »
How much was the farm again?

Glad you're okay.

vdk

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 01:28:07 am »
Good to hear everyone's okay.
Such an awful experience.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 02:08:30 am »
Wow!  :o Thats scary! Glad to hear everyone was okay.

Did the van have winter tires? Either way...I don't think winter tires would have made much of a difference here.

mar1990

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 07:47:21 am »
Glad to hear that you are ok.

Having been in a collision, most people don't realize that in some cases all you can do is hang on and hope that the car's safety features do their thing.

I roll my eyes when people claim that they are such great drivers or they need the extra HP so that can maneuver themselves from a collision...

What kind of van was that?  Looks like a Windstar.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 08:06:58 am »
I still pucker (not my lips) every time i think about that 53' trailer sliding toward you in full decapitation presentation. CRAZY!

Just in case your story doesn't have us all driving a little more defensively, here is an excerpt from an article on the recent Ontario Auditor general's report.

As for your chance of getting crushed by a truck, consider these statistics. Commercial traffic has gone up by one-third in the past decade, about the same percentage decline in the number of roadside inspections in the past five years. Only three of every thousand commercial vehicles were inspected in 2007, and very few inspections are done at night when more trucks are rolling. Don't even ask about inspections of bus terminals.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081209.wcampbell09/BNStory/National/Ontario/
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 08:49:10 am »
 :o F..FACK!. Glade to hear everybody is okay. I had a similar situation with a transport coming at us but was in a position to speed up past the theoretical point of impact and was only hit with the debris wave of the truck ploughing the meridian in the 401 West. Wife was 8 months at the time.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 08:49:25 am »
Does the upholstery need a good steam cleaning?  :o

Glad to hear that everyone in the van is safe.  Fack.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 08:49:54 am »

What kind of van was that?  Looks like a Windstar.

Freestar, a 2005 I think.

Me and Dad have had arguments about snow tires in the past. It had one year old all season Michelins, but I can't remember the type. He spends most of the winter in Florida, so its a bit of a tough call. He feels absolutely terrible about the whole thing. He called my sister in Vernon to let her know and my RCMP brother-in-law asked if he had snow tires on. I'm not sure if just snows would have made much of a difference in those circumstances. Studs likely would have.

Woke up a few times last night. Two images seem frozen in my mind: the big back wheels of the tractor just before I ducked at the last minute, and the big grill and "KW" symbol that were facing me when I got out of the van. The wheels seemed to be heading directly toward me, the bracket for the mud guard hit the B-pillar of my door.

A bit achy this morning, but feeling ok, if a bit jittery. I had already planned on taking December off. Just as well now.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 08:53:39 am »
Thanks for the well-wishes folks. Very much appreciated. :thumbup:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 07:44:18 pm »
:o F..FACK!. Glade to hear everybody is okay. I had a similar situation with a transport coming at us but was in a position to speed up past the theoretical point of impact and was only hit with the debris wave of the truck ploughing the meridian in the 401 West. Wife was 8 months at the time.

Is she not a little young to be married :o Stop robbing the cradle  :rofl:

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 07:54:43 pm »
Don't know how many times I've driven that piece of road (in laws live in Dorchester)...you folks are lucky, lucky, lucky.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 08:37:56 pm »
I just got off the phone with Dad. They are in better shape today. Probably take a while to get over it.

He told me the only damage to the van was the door, which will be replaced. The door pillars and rest of the body are fine. They took a lot of mud out of the undercarriage, but nothing was damaged, even the alignment checked out ok. He should have it back by the end of the week.

The insurance guy was very good, he said no changes to Dad's rate, the accident damage wasn't his fault, and had Enterprise drop a rental off at his house.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 08:38:53 pm »
^^Any word on winter tires yet??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 11:42:24 pm »
Holy :censor: BT, that looks scary stuff!!

Just glad everyone's ok.  In the UK the advice is always to leave the car and go and sit high up on the embankment, cars get hit all the time when they are parked up/stalled on the hard shoulder, many people get killed this way.  Of course you have to be prepared if the temperature is ridiculously low, I might put some blankets in the car just for this scenario...

Hope you and the folks are ok.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

mar1990

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 08:52:15 am »
Wife was 8 months at the time.

My wife was sideswiped by a truck when she was about 8 months pregnant.  Coincidence...I think not. :foil: :foil: :foil:

Woke up a few times last night. Two images seem frozen in my mind: the big back wheels of the tractor just before I ducked at the last minute, and the big grill and "KW" symbol that were facing me when I got out of the van. The wheels seemed to be heading directly toward me, the bracket for the mud guard hit the B-pillar of my door.

I found it amazing how much detail I remembered of what happened just before and during my crash.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 09:01:07 am »
^^Any word on winter tires yet??

I haven't brought it up. Dad's in a bit of a quandary because he spends most of the winter in Florida. Driving on snows down there would just burn them up. He'd have to get the snows put on in October, take them off when he leaves in late December. He usually gets back in late April or early May.

Generally, he doesn't go out if the weather is bad. We just got caught out this time.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 09:19:26 am »
Oh happy day that you and family are OKAY...that is definitely one for the Family heirloom Tales on Wintery Christmas nights.....

just curious but the truck must have "jumped" over the van after it hit something..the median ? 'cos i'm sure the body of the truck is not high enough by itself to clear your van?.............

I'd recommend McCallans 18Year old   three times a day......................till the jitters subside......
Time is to stop everything happening at once