8 (24.2%)
Daily
5 (15.2%)
Few times a week
1 (3%)
Rarely
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: E-mail?  (Read 3369 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
E-mail?
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:20:54 pm »
How often do you check your personal (non-work) e-mail?

I ask because lately I have tried to sell and buy a few things on kijiji and used Ottawa and it seems like people never check their e-mails or never reply or both or very rarely.  It drives me NUTS! 

I get an e-mail, I reply to it INSTANTLY and then don't get a reply back for days.  If you were interested in my for sale item and e-mailed me and then you don't check to see if I replied for days I find that very odd.

And if you are selling something and you don't check your e-mail at least once or twice a day, then put your phone number so people can contact you.

I suspect on a forum where people are probably slightly more computer savvy than the average joe / jane this may be skewed but vote away.

For the record if I don't read your e-mail within seconds of you sending it, I'm probably comatose. ;)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: E-mail?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 10:48:24 pm »
For non-work stuff, I check about once a day. 

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:06:16 pm »
I check at least 3 times a day. But I am around computers about 80% of the time during the day. Some people don't have computers at work, and share one at home with the family members, they might not have access even when they want to.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 05:53:15 am »
I hear you JB - one guy on Kijiji put an ad there and he never responded- after three tries I gave up. He didn't post a phone number or I would have called.  >:(

Since I usually work out of the house and go to the office only a couple of times a week, I'm able to go back and forth all day long.

Emailing has become like a phone call for many. You almost expect the other person to be sitting there waiting and assume they will get 'write' back to you!  ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 07:01:18 am »
I am near my email most of the time... hangover from working days I guess when I was sitting in front of it with the notifier  on so I'd see emails as they appeared.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 07:44:37 am »
I always laugh at people when I get a call that I did not reply to an email an hour after they send it
But if I was selling something I would check it at least 3x a day if I was working outside the office

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 07:49:40 am »
I found the same thing when trying to sell things on Kijiji. People would write me that they are interested (and usually with a stupid question) and I would reply then nothing for 3 days it at all. I think there are a lot of spammers on Kijiji that have nothing to do buy reply once to items being sold.

At work I usually check my personally email most of the day. At home (after work) usually twice. If I'm not checking it I'm out so you can't reach me anyway.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 08:02:34 am »
I'm pretty sure I would go into some kind of withdrawal if I could not check my e-mail often.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 12:46:53 pm »
 :iagree:

I'm on Gmail and I've got the Notifier installed on both home and office computers, so... I don't "check" per se, but I always read what comes in almost immediately.  If I'm away from home or work, I will check several times a day if I have access to someone else's computer.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 12:49:07 pm »
..who'se this Kijiji fella???...................a Fijian rugby playaah................sound like one of those dubious AD thingies frum G'Dwarf's Company........................... :D......
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:51:19 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

UmroAyyar

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 12:52:44 pm »
I have a gmail account specifically for not to be missed emails, e.g. email from certain adddresses at work. Immediate family. This account is connected my phone and I get it immediately. The rest can wait checking every 2-3 hours.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 03:53:08 pm »
I have 5 e-mail accounts that include 2 work addresses. If my lap-top in on everything is open.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 04:15:23 pm »
FLY-BOY????

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 12:37:02 am »
Still waiting (3 days now) on one item someone is selling with only e-mail as a contact point.  Doofus!

mar1990

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 01:00:29 pm »
Still waiting (3 days now) on one item someone is selling with only e-mail as a contact point.  Doofus!

I hear you!  I'm in the same boat as you.  Still waiting. I think the item was renewed at least once.   End date is Dec 22, so it will be a while before he/she needs to renew the ad if its still available for sale.  Or they were just to lazy to remove it.
I doubt the person will negotiate on the price.

As for checking emails, I there are quite a few people whose work doesn't revolve around computers.  Think construction/retail.  That type may only use a computer every couple of days.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 01:18:07 am »
I found the same thing when trying to sell things on Kijiji. People would write me that they are interested (and usually with a stupid question) and I would reply then nothing for 3 days it at all. I think there are a lot of spammers on Kijiji that have nothing to do buy reply once to items being sold.

Yeah, I wonder what's up with that. Maybe people are just fishing for email addresses.  ???

I've had three responses to a recent ad on kijiji: All have been along the lines of "I'm really interested! Is your item still available? I really want it!!!" I email back the same day (once within minutes of receiving the email), and of course I get absolutely no response.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:41 am »
I had a guy e-mail me twice, didn't seem like phishing as he sent the second time "I think I e-mailed you before, is this still available?"  I respond and 3 days still waiting ugh!

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 08:08:38 am »
I had a guy e-mail me twice, didn't seem like phishing as he sent the second time "I think I e-mailed you before, is this still available?"  I respond and 3 days still waiting ugh!

A lot of regular folks (not computer nerds like many of us) have only the slimmest understand of newer technology, such as spam filters. Some family members of mine had an issue where they installed some all inclusive security suite and then wondered why Aunt so-and-so stopped e-mailing. After weeks of ambling aimlessly with their own ill fated "trouble-shooting" they came to me and asked how this could be. They were absolutely amazed that I could find all the e-mails in seconds. They had their software set for the most draconian of spam protection with the thought that "it would just know" who to not block e-mails from. This may be the case with some of these things where randomly through their fault or no fault at all some of these innocuous e-mails get flagged and the end user has no idea how to retrieve them.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 09:51:08 am »

In my experience, if you're trying to buy something and the guy hasn't replied to your e-mail it has probably been sold  and he hasn't deleted the ad yet.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 10:31:32 am »
when i was on Kijiji lookin fer a winter beater truck...........i picked up the phone and called the LUCKY SELLER!!!! ;)......met him HALF_WAY...........geographically speaking after saying I was in the mood to BUY (WOW wotta concept).....made the offer ON THE SPOT (I'd visited several other basket cases previously) and saw this was a decent vehicle...........chopped $300 off his price...and said I wanted a visit to his local dealer for a Safety...(he said at first Oh it will pass blaah blah blah) well it didn't...wot to do...we went HALF (DUTCH) on the repairs(meant i gave back; in a sense the $300 i knocked off at the beginning)....2 happy CAMPERS....................so that's wot it was WORTH.....the BUYER & SELLER  DECIDED...................