Author Topic: So what industries are doing well currently?  (Read 13448 times)

ghost

So what industries are doing well currently?
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:52:59 pm »
Let's balance out those dowdy sad depressing economic news. Anyone knows what industries are on the up and up?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: So what industries are doing well currently?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:17:27 pm »
OK, I'll start.
Rail signalling.
We're looking to move to a new location as we have no more room for additional people and required cubical space. We're at  1000 people and will need to hire an additional 10% for a couple of likely contracts.
Hi read that Bombardier is doing well lately...their aerospace division anyway...
Next?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 05:53:24 pm »
-Biotechnology?
-Pharmaceutical/medical research

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 06:21:03 pm »
I talked to my old man a couple weeks ago, and he said discount retail sales (i.e. Walmart, Canadian Tire) are still relatively strong.  The news said much of the same: lots of people shopping at those sorts of stores in lieu of more upscale outlets.

I think in absolute terms the discounters are still suffering, but relative to other retailers, they're doing alright.

Discount grocers also tend to do pretty well in downtimes, for obvious reasons.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 06:45:42 pm »
Some general contractors I know, should have enough work to ride out the storm
With a bit of luck the government will spending money on upgrading HVAC systems

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 06:58:17 pm »
I hear the repo business is booming.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 07:15:22 pm »
Certain specialized high tech companies are doing very well and increasing their numbers, especially in the less developed parts of the world. 

Gaming industry not hurt yet at all.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 07:29:24 pm »
I talked to my old man a couple weeks ago, and he said discount retail sales (i.e. Walmart, Canadian Tire) are still relatively strong.  The news said much of the same: lots of people shopping at those sorts of stores in lieu of more upscale outlets.

I think in absolute terms the discounters are still suffering, but relative to other retailers, they're doing alright.

Discount grocers also tend to do pretty well in downtimes, for obvious reasons.

Yup, there will be a shift downwards.  The upper scale restaurants, etc. will probably hurt.  McDonalds, fast food joints will probably do well.   People still have to eat. 

I think alcohol stores could see an increase--more people will drink in bad times. 

Aftermarket car parts could also do well.   People may not be buying new cars but fixing their old ones to keep going. 

ghost

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 09:29:29 pm »
Someone mentioned to me that McDonald's are doing well still. Maybe folks who dine out now head to the golden arches?  ;D
Liquor is fairly stable too.
How about your local barber shops? Hair needs to be maintained for that next interview!!! 

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 09:53:09 pm »
Yup, there will be a shift downwards.  The upper scale restaurants, etc. will probably hurt.  McDonalds, fast food joints will probably do well.   People still have to eat.

:D  One article I read recently mentioned maitre d' s are getting used to "smiling for customers even without reservations".  I got a chuckle out of that...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 10:38:18 pm »
Someone mentioned to me that McDonald's are doing well still. Maybe folks who dine out now head to the golden arches?  ;D
Liquor is fairly stable too.
How about your local barber shops? Hair needs to be maintained for that next interview!!! 

Things would have to get really terrible before I would go to McDonald's for anything. I rather dislike their stuff totally. It's the WalMart of eating.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 10:43:39 pm »
Toilet paper! The stink and messes will go on forever

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 10:45:47 pm »
The tech sector isn't doing particularly well, but it doesn't seem "horrible" like the downturn of 2000-2001.  Most tech firms already did a lot of cost cutting and have lean operations and the ability to stave off small to medium downturn.  My sector in IP routing is not growing this year but year over year we are forecast to maintain which is great in this climate.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 10:52:45 pm »

That only matters if you are still young to have hair on your head.  :)  I haven't gone to the barber in ages.   

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 11:22:49 pm »
According to the radio commercials that I have been hearing the rust proofing places should do better in an economic down turn.
Since your not buying a new car you better rust proof the one you have so it can last.
I'm not really sure if people really think that way but I guess that is what the commercial was trying to convince people to do.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 11:38:10 pm »

That only matters if you are still young to have hair on your head.  :)  I haven't gone to the barber in ages.   

;D ;D :rofl2: Right, I still go but I should get a big discount..... :rofl2:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 11:53:34 pm »
Alcohol, chocolate, cigarette sales usually go up with added stress to the common folks. This time of the year, very difficult to gauge the retail market, people always over spend, this time of the year, and there is always the extended time frame for product returns after Christmas.

I have a friend who owns a Power Sports shop, (Quads, Ski-doos, etc), activities haven't slow down for him this year as compare to previous year. Another friend owns a Security Camera & Video Surveillance system company, his business is booming right now.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 12:43:20 am »
I have a friend who owns a Power Sports shop, (Quads, Ski-doos, etc), activities haven't slow down for him this year as compare to previous year. Another friend owns a Security Camera & Video Surveillance system company, his business is booming right now.

I recall reading during the summer that sales of luxury cars, boats, and other such "toys" were actually up, because of fantastic manufacturer incentives and the (at the time) strong Canadian dollar.  I wonder if the same is true now of the Power Sports industry?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 12:59:11 am »
I wonder if the same is true now of the Power Sports industry?

The bug in ATV/Bike sales currently is the clamp down on financing.  Best rate at Honda is essentially 9% and only if credit is solid.  Suzuki (Laurentian Bank) is 8.75 and credit must be solid.  If not, it's GE credit at 18%.  :P  80% of units are financed.  Margins are low.  Profit, if you can call that, is in clothing and accessories and then parts.

Mitlov

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 02:10:11 am »
Let's balance out those dowdy sad depressing economic news. Anyone knows what industries are on the up and up?

Civil litigation.  When the economy's in the shitter, people turn on each other.  Business in my office is booming  :)

The video game industry is also doing amazingly well.  World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King sold 2.8 million copies in the first 24 hours.  It's part of a phenomenon called nesting.  People are focusing on the little stay-at-home hobbies instead of more expensive, extroverted hobbies.