Author Topic: Jeremy C on the new Fiesta  (Read 13303 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremy C on the new Fiesta
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2008, 10:27:15 pm »
^^^^And wedge the Volvo turbo I5 into it?? Would be fun!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2008, 10:33:09 pm »
^^^^And wedge the Volvo turbo I5 into it?? Would be nose-heavy!

Fixed.  The Fiesta weighs 2200 lbs, for criminy sakes!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2008, 10:37:36 pm »
I suspect the I5 wouldn't weigh an absurd amount over the stock I4....

Mitlov

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2008, 10:53:53 pm »
I suspect the I5 wouldn't weigh an absurd amount over the stock I4....

You suspect that a turbocharged 2.5L inline-five wouldn't be a whole lot heavier than a naturally-aspirated 1.6L inline-four?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2008, 10:57:37 pm »
Of course it would be heavier.....but I don't think it would be "OMG it's so heavy" heavy....But hey.  I dunno.  Never had that engine on a scale.

FWIW, they're talking about putting this same engine in the Focus.....and that comes with a teeny 4 banger too.  Though curb weight is higher...

I've had the Supra engine on a scale...and it ain't light in completely stock form....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:02:41 pm by rrocket »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2008, 05:54:19 am »
Do what Renault did once upon a time to the R5. Put the big engine behind the driver and drive the rear wheels.  Call it a group B rally car and Hey Presto!  A REAL hot hatch.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:57:18 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2008, 10:52:47 am »
Do what Renault did once upon a time to the R5. Put the big engine behind the driver and drive the rear wheels.  Call it a group B rally car and Hey Presto!  A REAL hot hatch.

...perhaps something like this, the Clio V6...

Clarkson on the Clio... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvJbcpkyipM
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2008, 10:55:19 am »
Indeed the CLIo V6 shows its descent from the R5 turbo.  Yummy

Mitlov

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2008, 11:02:04 am »
None of those cars are nearly as insane as a 640-hp twin-turbo W12 engine in the middle of a Golf.  Though I bet they all handled much much much better ;)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2008, 11:07:13 am »
Those crazy French cars were actually available in your friendly local Renault dealer.

That GTI V12 was a special one off.

Mitlov

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2008, 11:29:08 am »
Those crazy French cars were actually available in your friendly local Renault dealer.

That GTI V12 was a special one off.

I know.  Still, it was a driveable one-off, not some theoretical thing, so I thought I'd mention it.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2008, 01:21:50 pm »
There is some precedence for this happening to a small Ford. 220hp V6 from the Taurus SHO stuffed in the back of the Festiva.

"Paging Rick Titus and Chuck Beck. Rick Titus and Chuck Beck, white courtesy phone Please"
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Diesel Advocate

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
    • It's time for a Diesel Revolution!!!!
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2008, 08:48:47 am »
Considering the Fiesta would compete with the Fit, Yaris, etc., that pricing is just too high.  MINI might be able to sell a premium small car for a lot of money, but Ford is not MINI.  A Fit Sport with manual transmission is $19 280 ($23 266 on the road).  That's where the Fiesta would need to be priced to compete, I think.

Still, I do really like the sound of the Fiesta.  It looks fantastic, and by accounts is going to be fantastic to drive, too.  If Ford can get the pricing right (and that might be hard, if it's being built in Germany), then they might just have a real winner.

I'd love to see a Mazda2 built on this same platform, too...  :drool:

The Fiesta will be able to compete price wise with the Yaris and Fit once they remove all the good bits from the Euro model and leave us with a shadow of itself, similar to what they did with the original Focus. It's totally shameful!!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2008, 09:56:26 am »
Considering the Fiesta would compete with the Fit, Yaris, etc., that pricing is just too high.  MINI might be able to sell a premium small car for a lot of money, but Ford is not MINI.  A Fit Sport with manual transmission is $19 280 ($23 266 on the road).  That's where the Fiesta would need to be priced to compete, I think.

Still, I do really like the sound of the Fiesta.  It looks fantastic, and by accounts is going to be fantastic to drive, too.  If Ford can get the pricing right (and that might be hard, if it's being built in Germany), then they might just have a real winner.

I'd love to see a Mazda2 built on this same platform, too...  :drool:

The Fiesta will be able to compete price wise with the Yaris and Fit once they remove all the good bits from the Euro model and leave us with a shadow of itself, similar to what they did with the original Focus. It's totally shameful!!

[citation needed]

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2008, 10:04:18 am »

It's not shameful at all, it's exactly what you are willing to pay for.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2008, 10:19:03 am »

It's not shameful at all, it's exactly what you are willing to pay for.

True.  For myself I'd rather pay the shot and have the real car

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2008, 10:32:54 am »
You guys are speculating right now. If you take one minute to read the only official information on the topic, you'll see that at least the essential good bits are planned for North America.
Like any other manufacturer they will have a number of trims to chose from at different price points of course. You will have 3 leather options to chose from !!!
What I'm worried about is that Ford may mess up with the exterior sheet metal - especially the front end to stick some sort of a 3-bar grill on it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:37:12 am by carcrazy »

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2008, 12:31:21 pm »
You guys are speculating right now. If you take one minute to read the only official information on the topic, you'll see that at least the essential good bits are planned for North America.
Like any other manufacturer they will have a number of trims to chose from at different price points of course. You will have 3 leather options to chose from !!!
What I'm worried about is that Ford may mess up with the exterior sheet metal - especially the front end to stick some sort of a 3-bar grill on it.

At least with the 2010 Fusion they showed that they can even make the three bar grill look semi-decent.

I think they are finally starting to move away from it now...slowly but surely.  Hopefully the Fiesta is the start of that.