Author Topic: Jeremy C on the new Fiesta  (Read 13327 times)

UmroAyyar

Re: Jeremy C on the new Fiesta
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 10:57:58 pm »
Bob has a very valid point.

Small cars are considered the cheapest form of vehicle just because they're small.

A small car doesn't necessarily have to be made at the lowest price point. The preference in Europe of smaller cars has matured that particular segment of the market that you can get small cars with upscale fit and finish.

When the market here grows with that concept, we may see cars finished and equipped like that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 10:58:24 pm »
We'll have to wait and see for pricing.........
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 03:28:08 am »
Several sources have suggested that the Fiesta will start at under $15,000 in the United States, which makes it comparable to a Fit or Yaris.  The Fit starts at US$14,550, and while the Yaris allegedly "starts at" US$12,900, that doesn't even include a rear wiper, a rear defroster, or a CD player.  A typically-equipped Yaris is $15k-$16k.

http://www.motorauthority.com/north-american-ford-fiesta-to-cost-less-than-15k.html
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/21/north-america-ford-fiesta-rumored-to-come-in-under-15k/

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 10:22:40 am »
What you fail to understand is that Fiesta, in UK is priced according to the UK market. Relative to the UK market, Fiesta is well priced and J. Clarkson mentioned that in his article.

When Fiesta will come to North America, I'm sure it will be priced relative to the US and Canadian markets. Ford is not that stupid to price itself out of the market.

BTW: Versa (nor Yaris and Fit) does not offer ESP (in Canada at least), leather interior, parking assist, heated windshield, auto sensing wipers, auto head lights, etc.

::)  I understand market pricing.  My concern was that, because the Fiesta is built in Germany, it might be very difficult for Ford to get Canadian pricing down to where it needs to be for this car to do well.  It's right there in my first post.

Now, if the NA Fiesta is indeed built in Mexico as MKII suggests, then Ford should be able to price it appropriately.  :)

Not a problem. I assumed that, after few threads on this car, the fact that Ford already announced a while back that the North American Fiesta will be built in Mexico in a plant that undergoes a 3B USD investment is a known fact.
All 5-6 Euro models that Ford has announced that will bring to North America (Fiesta, next generation Focus, Kuga, C-Max, etc.) will be built in North America.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 10:49:43 am »
Several sources have suggested that the Fiesta will start at under $15,000 in the United States, which makes it comparable to a Fit or Yaris.  The Fit starts at US$14,550, and while the Yaris allegedly "starts at" US$12,900, that doesn't even include a rear wiper, a rear defroster, or a CD player.  A typically-equipped Yaris is $15k-$16k.

http://www.motorauthority.com/north-american-ford-fiesta-to-cost-less-than-15k.html
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/21/north-america-ford-fiesta-rumored-to-come-in-under-15k/

I think the key for Fiesta's pricing is to be similarly equipped or slightly better than the Japanese competitor and slightly cheaper. The concern I have is that Ford may get greedy and try to capitalize on the fact that Fiesta looks better, has better quality, drives better, etc. so they may think they can charge more than the Japanese on these grounds. Ford should keep in mind that from the position they are on, they should just build better vehicles and charge less (slightly) to bring the best value for the buck in the buyer's eyes.

Mitlov

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 11:00:06 am »

I think the key for Fiesta's pricing is to be similarly equipped or slightly better than the Japanese competitor and slightly cheaper. The concern I have is that Ford may get greedy and try to capitalize on the fact that Fiesta looks better, has better quality, drives better, etc. so they may think they can charge more than the Japanese on these grounds. Ford should keep in mind that from the position they are on, they should just build better vehicles and charge less (slightly) to bring the best value for the buck in the buyer's eyes.

How do you suggest that Ford make a car that's "better quality" AND "drives better" than a Fit or Yaris while simultaneously making it cheaper than those cars?  You're demanding the impossible here.  Do you think Ford should sell the Fiestas at below cost?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 11:22:27 am »

How do you suggest that Ford make a car that's "better quality" AND "drives better" than a Fit or Yaris while simultaneously making it cheaper than those cars?  You're demanding the impossible here.  Do you think Ford should sell the Fiestas at below cost?

I don't think so. It has been done before. Mazda3 is one example I know for sure.
When I bought my Mazda3 back in 2005, it was a better car from every single stand point, except fuel economy, than Civic and Corolla, but about $1000 CAD less MSRP, with more features than the comparable trims from those two. Add to that the fact that I could deal on Mazda MSRP, but not much on Civic or Corolla.
This is what I hope from the Fiesta. I’m not talking much less, but few hundred dollars would be enough.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:44:02 am by carcrazy »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 11:34:01 am »
...A FIESTA in From Mexico.............................well that's a FIRST.................... ;D.....

SOMEONE   SPONGE  BOB down........................
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:37:03 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 11:45:04 am »

Wal-Mart sells the same products as other retailers for less money.  They cut costs in production, shipping, wages, etc.  Their philosophy is to sell the same product for less money, but they still make higher profits than anyone else because of a smaller cost structure.  For example, they realized they had trucks running empty because one of their suppliers would ship things to them, and Wal-Mart was sending trucks to stores along the same route.  This was costing them money.  So they started having their trucks, which were coming home empty, stop at their supplier and pick up product, taking trucks off the road and cutting costs for them and their supplier.

If, for example, Ford paid its executives less, it could afford to make a smaller margin on each car sold.  It's all about cutting costs, company wide, which allow you to reduce margins on individual products while still making money.

And judging by the way Ford spends money, they could really benefit from a company-wide cost cutting program...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 12:18:05 pm »
Not to mention that thay can produce the cars in low-cost countries, which is what they are doing. Another way to save costs, which is relativelly new for Ford, but this is where they are moving, is to produce global cars. This would also cut on design and production costs.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 12:49:58 pm »
Now THAT's the Ford you really want!!  And boy would I pay for that if it was available over here...

:drool:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 12:56:09 pm »
 :hurl:   well OK coming from someone who bought a DAY_GLO ORANGE KAR in ENGLAND!!!! that's not a surprise.......................are ya COLOR!!! BLIN'........????? ;)..Oh beauty is ONLY SKINNED DEEP CHOPRAH B/S.........................

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
Ha ha. You're just too old to appreciate it Saf!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 02:45:19 pm »
Now THAT's the Ford you really want!!  And boy would I pay for that if it was available over here...

Pfff... yeah right.  You had your chance to buy one of those fancy Ford Focii when you were on the other side of the pond and instead chose that tangerine toy car instead.  Put your money where your mouth is.   ;)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 03:35:37 pm »
..If'n I had his money I'd bee GREEN too....... i tho't green woz wot ya turned into when ya rotted......Young man....... :D.......... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ah PUT on my Serengeti's now it's a whiter shade of pale.......... :P

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 09:24:07 pm »

Pfff... yeah right.  You had your chance to buy one of those fancy Ford Focii when you were on the other side of the pond and instead chose that tangerine toy car instead.  Put your money where your mouth is.   ;)

Yeah but kids came along and ruined it all, ruined it all I tell ye!

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »
Pricing isn't comparable between the UK and here... Look at any car that they sell over there that they also sell here, and they are ALWAYS more expensive when you work out the conversion... kind of like Canada vs the US  ;D .

Considering you can get a Focus for like $15,000 these days, theres no way Ford is going to come in with a subcompact and overprice it. This car will probably be cheaper than its Japanese competitors, and probably better.

Also ours will be built in Mexico, not imported from Europe, so that gives them more flexibility on pricing.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 06:04:46 am »
Tom Ford of 5th Gear drives the new Fiesta http://uk.truveo.com/Fifth-Gear-Ford-Fiesta/id/1733668041

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2008, 08:19:09 am »
Top Gear reviewed it last night, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ab6i3lZBk

I wish this was coming sooner - it would be near the top of my list of considerations.  :)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2008, 07:37:57 pm »
Top Gear reviewed it last night, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ab6i3lZBk

I wish this was coming sooner - it would be near the top of my list of considerations.  :)
I hadn't seen that...but...oh my god!  That is hilarious!