Author Topic: Whats a Great Car allowance  (Read 28156 times)

ven

Whats a Great Car allowance
« on: November 28, 2008, 09:59:58 am »
I am getting ready to  Start a new job.. The Company has mentioned a car allowance.  i live up north in Ontario and will be doing a fair bit of km's. I saw and read the post  about the best cars and SUV to look at and really enjoyed all the ideas..

But what I don't know is about the actual allowance.

What should be included.
Ie, Amount, Km's, insurance, Gas Cards..

I want to know what an average deal or what a fair deal is.  I don't want to be greedy.

What are some of the deals you all struck up and please be honest Im not looking for the dream deal, I would prefer actuals.

Thank you
BTW awsome site

Steve

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Whats a Great Car allowance
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 10:36:13 am »
Depends on the type of job I would suspect....

Mitlov

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:24:27 am »
Demand the best.  If they won't spring for a Bentley Continental for you, they don't respect you.  Look your boss straight in the eye and tell his cheap ass to go to hell.

ven

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 12:33:54 pm »
would be a District manager type position

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »
For Walmart  ???   :bang:

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 12:59:10 pm »
Be content that you have a job.

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 01:11:21 pm »
Ven,

Car allowance is income. I suppose the more you can get the better for you. Please note, maximum tax deductible allowable monthly lease is $800, if purchasing capital cost is 30K, amounts exceeding are not tax deductible.
Try to get an allowance that covers your estimated gas, repairs, insurance, and lease maximum. If purchasing factor in Km's as part of depreciation.
Remember to keep good records (operating expenses and km's traveled for business vs personal), it is tax wise to make sure the ratio of business travel is greater than personal.
Make sure employer will provide a T2200E form (declaration of conditions of employement0
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 01:22:44 pm »
Of course you asked for a great car allowance, so this would be it (although I would get a Jag rather than a Bentley)  :D
Demand the best.  If they won't spring for a Bentley Continental for you, they don't respect you.  Look your boss straight in the eye and tell his cheap ass to go to hell.

As for real life, I would go for a km rate, at least $0.50 per right now, with a clause that will open it up when gas prices start to climb again.  I run my own company and know exactly how much it costs me to run my vehicle and right now the .50 is an OK rate for a car based on about 30,000 km/yr.  Different if you will be driving a SUV or pickup, will need to bump it up.

And as noted, it will be income as well if you are an employee (been there too), so take that into consideration.  For you, best bet may be to talk with a good tax accountant.

And welcome to the forum, hope you stay   :hello:
2016 Subaru Forester XT

vdk

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 01:27:37 pm »
Where I worked they paid $.55/KM..

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 02:24:49 pm »
It's been about 10 years since I had a company car allowance.  We had the following choice:

1. Take a company Neon, gas card, and pay nothing out of pocket.

or

2. Be paid (taxable benefit) the maximum lease payment allowed by CCRA and get $0.35/km.  That would be close to $0.60 in today's money.  You had to pay for your own insurance, etc out of the per-km charge.

Most of my colleagues either leased a car at the max payment allowed under tax laws, or went higher.  I was an odd duck as my Mercedes was less than the max and I used the difference for insurance, etc. and then the per-km went much further.

I also went weird and instead of the "$399 payment" that MB was running for the C230, I upped the payment and had them lower the residual (possible then, probably not now, as they don't seem to do stuff on an individual basis) and then at the end of the lease, I bought the car for well below the market value.

Overall, I paid surprisingly little for my car, even after the taxable benefits were claimed.

What most did:  The max at that time was about $650-700 for the payment under CCRA, so that's what the company paid.  They would lease a Navigator or other $$$ SUV for $1000 and pronounce how they were driving something so expensive for only $300 or so out of pocket.

I'm cheap.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 02:49:55 pm »
Currently Revenue Canada will allow 46 cents per km as a non taxable benefit.  Wife has choice between 46 cents non taxable or 55 cents taxable.  For her its a no brainer to take the 46 cents.

The best situation is to receive the full monty and take a company "car" with all it's associated costs assigned to you but as a taxable benefit.  But of course a lot depends on what kind of vehicle it is.  Usually they're econo boxes.  For the more fortunate it's something one actually enjoys driving.  :)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 07:59:32 pm »
My employer also pays $0.55/km mileage.

I almost always rent and bill the project/client directly, so I'm not is the same situation as you.

Congrats on the new job!
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 10:13:14 pm »
When I was a rep, I worked for two different companies in a row.  Company A only provided a company vehicle (Taurus), and you expensed your gas and repairs.  Company B provided a car allowance of ~$750/month IIRC, and you got a per km mileage reimbursement.

Given the choice, and having been through the situation, scenario B is better -- especially if you already own a car, or pay off whatever you buy very quickly.  If the axe comes down, and you're out of a job, at least you still have wheels. 

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 12:30:36 am »
I will change my job if had to drive a Taurus too.  :)

A monthly allowance + expenses & maintenance is a good deal.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 11:45:50 pm »
It's been about 10 years since I had a company car allowance.  We had the following choice:

1. Take a company Neon, gas card, and pay nothing out of pocket.

or

2. Be paid (taxable benefit) the maximum lease payment allowed by CCRA and get $0.35/km.  That would be close to $0.60 in today's money.  You had to pay for your own insurance, etc out of the per-km charge.

Most of my colleagues either leased a car at the max payment allowed under tax laws, or went higher.  I was an odd duck as my Mercedes was less than the max and I used the difference for insurance, etc. and then the per-km went much further.

I also went weird and instead of the "$399 payment" that MB was running for the C230, I upped the payment and had them lower the residual (possible then, probably not now, as they don't seem to do stuff on an individual basis) and then at the end of the lease, I bought the car for well below the market value.

Overall, I paid surprisingly little for my car, even after the taxable benefits were claimed.

What most did:  The max at that time was about $650-700 for the payment under CCRA, so that's what the company paid.  They would lease a Navigator or other $$$ SUV for $1000 and pronounce how they were driving something so expensive for only $300 or so out of pocket.

I'm cheap.

Smart way to do it John.  A plus to this as well, if you sold your car, for more than you had to pay for it, the "profit" is not taxable.  If you are able to write off the payments, or the company pays for it, those payments are tax deductable. It's like a mini-RRSP.  Win!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 12:23:20 am »
If the axe comes down, and you're out of a job, at least you still have wheels. 

Good point.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 07:45:00 am »
If the axe comes down, and you're out of a job, at least you still have wheels. 

Good point.
Depend on what your monthly payments. If it is paid off great, if not and high kms, you are screwed
I have had to supply my own vehicle for the last 25 years, if I was working for someone else I rather have them supply the vehicle, one less thing to worry about

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 11:44:34 am »
Personally, if I didn't already have a vehicle, I would use the monthly vehicle allowance as the lease payment target. I would definitely check out the details of your company's vehicle allowance policy. Mine is a fixed amount ($3xx) plus mileage which varies on the fuel price (taken at the middle of the month). Depending on how much you drive and the mileage rate, this would likely have a significant impact on your monthly vehicle expenses.

Also, in order to maximize your tax situation, just use the vehicle for business as much as possible. If you can afford it, get an inexpensive vehicle for personal use only.

Personally, I would not up the monthly lease payment like Johngenx in case the job doesn't work out while you on a lease. IMO, if you plan to own the vehicle after the lease ends, it makes more sense to possibly re-lease it at the end of the lease with a very low payout at the end of the re-lease.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

ven

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 06:23:02 am »
All amazing advice. I had no Idea that It could be used as a tax right off if the company provided the Allowance.
I would stay below or match the total amount.

we have our own personnel vehicles already, but would always entertain the idea of a new one.

So the allowance should for the most part be included with Km's  I'm thinking one is not good with out the other.
If the company includes km's. Is this where the fuel would come from (be included in the km)

Is having repairs included common..

Thank you for answering some of my questions. Im new to having an allowance and don't want to end up paying to go to work.

I know you people have answers to things I wouldn't even know to ask..

Steve

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 08:09:57 am »
Usually repairs aren't included.  When they give you 55cents a KM that is to cover gas and wear and tear on the car.