Author Topic: Pics of the Royal Palace in Seoul South Korea  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Pics of the Royal Palace in Seoul South Korea
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:16:25 pm »
It's the rare occasion where I have some time to actually sight-see when I am on business. However, on my last trip to Seoul earlier this month I had part of a Saturday to do just that and I headed for the Royal palace which is about a 45 minute subway ride from the hotel I was staying at.
This palace was originally built in the late 1300's and then was burnt to the ground in the Japanese invasion about 200 years later. After another 300 years they pretty much rebuilt it although there are still sections of it still being worked on.
Overall an interesting place although it has somewhat of a foreboding and somber mood to it.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Pics of the Royal Palace in Seoul South Korea
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:18:47 pm »
Wow!  That's great to visit places like that...lucky you!  Amazing...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:22:36 pm »
Wow that's so awesome!

Unlike any western "palace" which looks rather plane in comparison (at least to a westerner...)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:31:12 pm »
I was speaking to one of the Hyundai Engineers today and he told me that they had received some snow yesterday. If you look at pic 11 you will see square cutouts in the stone foundation. These are where wood is carried in to light fires under the floors as a means of central heating. The chimneys are located in the back of the building normally and sometimes are disguised as statues.
Railton

vdk

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:57:59 am »
looks great!  ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 05:35:06 am »
I was speaking to one of the Hyundai Engineers today and he told me that they had received some snow yesterday. If you look at pic 11 you will see square cutouts in the stone foundation. These are where wood is carried in to light fires under the floors as a means of central heating. The chimneys are located in the back of the building normally and sometimes are disguised as statues.
Railton

A hypocaust , invented by the Romans or so I thought  but a quick wiki (  search for Ondol)  suggests that the Koreans may have been first.  They probably sent the design back to Rome along with the first pasta.  ;)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 07:55:25 am »
It's stunning.  Thank you for sharing with us.  I can see what you mean about the mood.  Perhaps it's the lack of green etc.... It looks very stark. Maybe something to do with the season.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 12:40:02 pm »
Wow that's so awesome!

Unlike any western "palace" which looks rather plane in comparison (at least to a westerner...)

Like this one?  :rofl2:

:rofl2:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson