Author Topic: Plasma owner!  (Read 21814 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Plasma owner!
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 04:48:28 pm »
funny, the saleman did not try to sell me a blueray player or monster cables
Now I have to find a stand

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 05:31:13 pm »
How long will Blueray be around?
Are we going to be download movies soon from the net?
Are ( will be)they in a 1080p format

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1206
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 06:29:37 pm »
Congrats on the TV! Great choice!! For rentals I like zip.ca. They have all the titles and the rates are very competitive. Now get a blu-ray.... FS has the Sony 350 at $269. including 3 movies. This player does a great job with regular dvd's too.

Leviathan

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 11:27:10 pm »
No idea. Possibly (although Saf has been downloading "movies" from the 'net for a wile). Likely  :P A PS3 will be able to handle the Blu-ray now and downloads later  ;)

Just got meself a PS3 and had opportunity to compare "I am Legend" DVD to Blu-ray. DVD (480p and various upscales to 1080i) looked good but the Blu-ray really was a tonne clearer. Comparison done by selecting the same scene on both formats and flipping between HDMI inputs on the TV.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 07:04:10 am »

Who knows how long Blu-ray will be around for. I'm hoping a long time though.

Movie downloads is a great idea BUT a lot of people keep forgetting about some thing. BANDWIDTH. I don't know about your provider but mine already caps my data usage and will charge me extra for going over.

Also, I've heard it currently takes between 5-6 hours to d/l a movie and these are not even 1080p yet, only 720p and highly compressed. A lot of people call them DVD+ or HD_Lite movies due to the amount of compression they use. Another thing is they don't have is lossless sound, just Dolby Digital.

But you can already d/l HD movies via Xbox Live or the PS3 Store (what ever they call theirs) but again, they are only 720p. They do have some movie trailers in 1080p though. I have d/l a few 1080p movie trailers and I was not impressed with the quality. Most looked like DVD or little better.

Another issue is what happens when you hard drive crashes and you need to get all your movies back? Doesn't iTunes make you repurchase everything when that happens?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 07:06:35 am »
"Movie downloads is a great idea BUT a lot of people keep forgetting about some thing. BANDWIDTH. I don't know about your provider but mine already caps my data usage and will charge me extra for going over. "

good point  :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 08:09:04 am »
From the school of hard knocks I suggest renting is better.

I use to buy $50 worth of DVDs a week on average, I had 100's of DVDs, I never watched any of them twice.  Should have just rented.  I never buy anymore unless I have a special reason.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 08:22:44 am »
From the school of hard knocks I suggest renting is better.

I use to buy $50 worth of DVDs a week on average, I had 100's of DVDs, I never watched any of them twice.  Should have just rented.  I never buy anymore unless I have a special reason.

I don't rent.   I watch the movies as they come out on the Movie Channel and about once a year buy something I'll want to keep.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 09:02:08 am »
Same concept -- much cheaper.

I don't rent either... I download.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 09:29:21 am »
We do all the above except d/l.

Rent new releases for movies we want to see on BD (for quality vs movie channel) but know we won't buy.

Wait for the movie to hit the movie channel as we don't really care when we see it. Also try to wait for them to hit the HD movie channel.

Buy movies that we will watch more than once but now think twice about which ones. We also try to wait for sales. I also usually read about 5 pages of reviews to see what others say about the quality of the picture/sound.

I will admit that I bought Band of Brothers on BD when it came out on Nov 11 even though I've never seen any of it before. Considering its over 10 hours long renting would have been a problem and now I can just watch it in my free time.

I will also admit that I pre-ordered Batman_TDK on BD. Can't wait despite the controversy over the quality!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 09:40:47 am »
I have not yet seen justification for buying into HD.  I am buying mrs tpl a new TV ( LCD 720p) for xmas to replace her ailing  19" 10 yr old crt, this will be driven in SD only for a while I suspect.
 But for me my 6 yr old Sony Wega 27"  still works and is big enough even when watching a program/dvd in 16:9

Now when TV Ontario and BBC Canada go HD  then maybe I'll give in OR when Rogers stop charging so much for the HD feeds and the HD PVR

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 09:55:30 am »
I get the HD channels for free.  Fox/NBC/CBC/ABC/CBS/PBS  the only channels I ever watch

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 10:10:53 am »
The only one of those I watch is PBS and even then only for Nova and the odd special when they are NOT fundraising

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 10:17:37 am »
I have not yet seen justification for buying into HD.  I am buying mrs tpl a new TV ( LCD 720p) for xmas to replace her ailing  19" 10 yr old crt, this will be driven in SD only for a while I suspect.
 But for me my 6 yr old Sony Wega 27"  still works and is big enough even when watching a program/dvd in 16:9

Now when TV Ontario and BBC Canada go HD  then maybe I'll give in OR when Rogers stop charging so much for the HD feeds and the HD PVR

HD is free with Rogers (as Wing said) but you do need to buy/rent a cable box to decode the signals. Plus in some areas you can also get it for free and uncompressed over the air with an antenna, no decoder needed.

I have friends with a 50” plasma and they returned their HD box as they didn’t watch ‘those channels’. It really didn’t matter because every time I came over (when they did have the box) they still selected the SD channel and stretched it to fill they screen anyway. I fixed their setup twice in the beginning and they just keep changing it back to how “they like it” to look so I gave up trying to help and we are now both happy.

Not everybody wants or cares about watching TV in HD just like not everybody wants to drive a GTI and can live with a City Golf. Different strokes for different folks. Me personally, I don't know how anybody can watch SDTV (not that there is much to watch anyway) or drive a City Golf.  ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 10:44:28 am »
Oh god I can't watch SD only 1 show I watch on SD and that's TSN F1 coverage.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 11:12:56 am »
BLUE ray MOOFIES......the One where the SPACE_MAN probes the Alien babes.....?????? :o 8) :o 8) :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 11:19:19 am »

F1 is on TSN HD & Speed HD? Both not on Roger's Cable?

Cannot watch SD TV anymore. The wife watches some Chinese Channels on Bell, other than that, HD channels only.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 11:31:09 am »

F1 is on TSN HD & Speed HD? Both not on Roger's Cable?

But it still isn't in HD, just upconverted.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 11:39:31 am »
I just spent the last few minutes on Rogers site.    It looks as if they really try to make it difficult to get exact pricing information.    I think I'll phone them... I have always had good luck with them on the phone. ( Sensible csrs and tech reps)

I have their VIP package plus the movie channels means I get a whole pile of stuff I never watch but whatever.  ( I do not watch any sports except F1 and the Tour de France and only one or two days of that)    I cannot find a single definite statement as to the additional costs of being able to see the HD versions of the channels that I watch.   I realize that the HD stb costs more to rent ( don't see why it should but whatever again ) but I am sure that the being able to watch the HD versions of the movie channels in HD costs more in itself.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 11:50:21 am »
Going from memory here:

TSN is part of the extra HD channel package which cost around $8-9. You also get Discovery, HD_Net and others.

TMN/HBO is part of the movie package, around $15. If you want M_HD (which plays older movies in HD) its another $3.

Since you have VIP I'm not sure how they do the pricing.

Personally, if you get the movie channel you should have a PVR which is $25/month or you can buy one if you wish. I also recommend adding an external hard drive for more storage. The PVR come with a 160GB drive which is only good for 20 hours (at best) of HD recordings. I added a 320GB drive for another 40 hours (60 total) and haven't had any issues. In the past larger drive gave problems so I don't know if that is still an issue.