Author Topic: Airlines have to accomodate the obese...what a shame.  (Read 3057 times)

carburator

Airlines have to accomodate the obese...what a shame.
« on: November 21, 2008, 09:39:06 am »
http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/540345

True Story:

I had to sit next to a 600lb man (he said so) on my flight to Cuba. He was going there to have the best time of his life he said. He goes several times a year to an all inclusive where he can eat as much as he can.

He took up the two seats next to me. When he came over to my row and everyone in the plane realized that I was going to be the guy who has to sit next to him, everyone laughed at me.

He had a special safetly belt that locked his arms in so they wouldnt hit me. HiIs chest touched the TV screen in front of him. I couldn't get out of my seat to pee. He smelled. He had a friend that came with him and he couldnt fit in between us because he was also obese. So they took his friend and put him into first class!

My wife and I couldn't sit together because this 600lb man was allowed to sit next to me instead and take up both seats.  He only had to pay for one seat. And they say that this obese person can not be discriminated against? But I can be?  Who is the one being humiliated?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Airlines have to accomodate the obese...what a shame.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 09:44:20 am »
...KARMA ?????? 8)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 09:56:53 am »
...KARMA ?????? 8)

A lot of your material has been limp lately but this one takes the cake.

carburator

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:14:58 am »
I am not sure what your problem is with this. It applies to lots of people.

There were actually five large men in the group and other couples were displaced on the flight and were very angry.

I am not making up anything here. It's unfortunate that these people have been given the right to fly and I have to suffer for it.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:25:24 am »
I am not sure what your problem is with this. It applies to lots of people.

There were actually five large men in the group and other couples were displaced on the flight and were very angry.

I am not making up anything here. It's unfortunate that these people have been given the right to fly and I have to suffer for it.
The right to fly?  What bizarre drugs are you on today?

Why didn't you book your seats so that you and your wife could sit together?
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

carburator

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:36:03 am »

Flying is not a right. It is a priviledge. Everyone should be buying enough seats to accomodate your size. Plane seats are getting smaller and tighter and some people are getting bigger. You should not have the right to inconvenience other people because you are soo big that you occupy two seats.

Yes we did book our seats ahead of time to fly together of course. However upon arrival to the airport (in advance) we were told our seats are not together. Hmm?

Turns out, they obviously re-shuffled the seats to accomodate the obese. Even though we asked before boarding if we could sit together they said it couldn't be done. One of the obese, since he could not fit next to me and his friend, was moved to first class. I wondered why they didn't let me go to first class instead?

We were not the only couple. Other couples approached us later and had the same problem. Wait until it happens to you and then maybe you will be more empathetic.

carburator

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:37:10 am »
Look who started this thread; nothing good can come of it. Wing, please shut this one down too...

This is a topic of conversation and it is in the newspaper too.

Shut me down shut me down ....you are a self rightcheous p_g !

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:43:38 am »
While the title of this thread is inflammatory, and the OP has a habit of posting contentious threads; I do have some sympathy for his position on this topic. It does not seem fair to make "normal" sized fare paying clients of the airline suffer because the obese have to be accomodated. I do think (and it's likely not PCorrect) that hugely obese passengers should pay for the room they consume. Rather like a toll road, big trucks pay more than cars.  ;)

:foil: :foil: :foil:
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 11:31:11 am »

Flying is not a right. It is a priviledge. Everyone should be buying enough seats to accomodate your size. Plane seats are getting smaller and tighter and some people are getting bigger. You should not have the right to inconvenience other people because you are soo big that you occupy two seats.

Yes we did book our seats ahead of time to fly together of course. However upon arrival to the airport (in advance) we were told our seats are not together. Hmm?

Turns out, they obviously re-shuffled the seats to accomodate the obese. Even though we asked before boarding if we could sit together they said it couldn't be done. One of the obese, since he could not fit next to me and his friend, was moved to first class. I wondered why they didn't let me go to first class instead?

We were not the only couple. Other couples approached us later and had the same problem. Wait until it happens to you and then maybe you will be more empathetic.

When my wife and I and the kids fly, we book our seats together.  On AC, that costs extra, but it's worth it.

That said, I've always believed that, if you're big enough to require 2 seats, you should PAY for 2 seats.  It's not a 'disability', it's a lifestyle choice. I think the ruling was silly by the SCOC, but that's the direction our society is heading these days.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 12:00:53 pm »
Great we have agreement, everyone is happy.