Author Topic: Bob's Basement  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Bob's Basement
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:51:11 pm »
Seeing as I've now seen where Tim takes a bath (I'll never wash again :rofl2:) though you might like to see my DIY effort.

So yes as luck would have it did stay on the wall!  I bought a decent stud detector as the one that came with the mounting kit was random to say the least.  The little cabinety thing below it is just something we had lying around, I'm just using it to keep the cable box off the floor at the mo.  I'll need to get something to stand the PS3, surround amp (both yet to be purchased) and cable box on, anyone got any recommendations, must be child friendly, i.e. not glass.

I'm also gonna box in the cables with one of those white plastic box section things and then paint it the same colour as the walls when we redecorate.  Oh and I need to redirect the lights so the screen doesn't reflect. And clear up the kids toys!

The TV is just a 42" 720p/1080i set that we got as a good deal with the washer and dryer from futureshop, I think it ended up at $599 plus I managed to haggle the wall mount kit for free, I think that was worth $85! I love haggling for stuff!  In time this TV will be replaced with a bigger (hopefully 65") 1080p model and this will get relegated upstairs, but it's good enough for now.  Looks tiny on the wall though...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Bob's Basement
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:56:49 pm »
Looking good Bob!

Like the wall colour :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 09:59:36 pm »
Awesome work!!  I'll be posting pics soon too!!  I'm working on a smoking room/man room with built in humidor, venting, etc...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:24:56 pm »
Cheers guys!  Yeah I quite like it too, it's sort of a dark olive colour, you Canadians are really into your dark colours, beige, brown, olive, taupe, do they not sell any other colour paint?  :rofl2:

I'm quite getting to like the colour scheme over here, it was a bit of a culture shock at first.  We need to redecorate upstairs as that is yellow and green, too bright for my tastes.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 10:26:27 pm »
^^Where's the beer fridge Kegorator going??

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 10:29:43 pm »
^^Where's the beer fridge Kegorator going??
Where's the beef?

Hmm, good idea, there is a room behind the sofa where the washer dryer is, I could put a fridge in there, great idea!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:31:07 pm »
Or a little beer fridge.  I had a small beer fridge and I cover it in a veneer.  It actually looked like a nice cabinet. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 10:43:51 pm »
Unfortunately there is a rough in for a toilet, but it's such a small space it's useless.  If it was bigger and I had a beer fridge, I'd never have to leave the basement!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 10:55:12 pm »
^^Can you just run a hose with a funnel to the couch and have it drain into the rough in?  That way you won't even have to leave the couch....

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 10:59:17 pm »
Cheers guys!  Yeah I quite like it too, it's sort of a dark olive colour, you Canadians are really into your dark colours, beige, brown, olive, taupe, do they not sell any other colour paint?  :rofl2:

I'm quite getting to like the colour scheme over here, it was a bit of a culture shock at first.  We need to redecorate upstairs as that is yellow and green, too bright for my tastes.

It's funny that you mention that.  I remember watching British redecorating shows where crazy colours (oranges, hot pinks, bright yellows) were frequently used in many homes, and being puzzled by that.  Then I realized that England was a rarely-sunny place, and it made sense to use brighter colours to warm up one's living environment.

Over here, you can do whatever makes you happy.  The weather does not influence colour selection in any way, but fashion and sociological trends certainly do.  My guess is that with the current economic climate, we may be heading towards basic beige.  Ugh.  Personally, I'm a big fan of neutrals, as long as they're very warm and rich, like caramel, for instance.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 07:48:22 am »
Looks great!  Just make sure you leave the covers on your speakers so that one of your little ones doesn't come along and push the cone in.   :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 09:50:45 am »
Looks great!  Just make sure you leave the covers on your speakers so that one of your little ones doesn't come along and push the cone in.   :rofl2:

Cheers, everything will be wall mounted to keep it out of the way of prying little fingers!

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 10:50:30 am »
Do you have any outside windows in the basement?  If not, I'd think about a ceiling-mount projector when you upgrade...  nothing like a 14' screen.  And the room looks just right for a media room.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 10:56:48 am »
:iagree:  Even if you have a window, LCDs are so bright it doesn't matter.  And for 1/2 the year it's dark anyways.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 10:58:57 am »
Looks good, now you need some furniture so you can sit down and enjoy it. I'll be the first to say it....But isn't the tv a little high on the wall or is it just from the angle the picture was taken?

I agree with projector also...can't beat it for value today.

For receiver/speakers, lots of deals going on. Might want to check out EHR's ad today.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 11:10:43 am »
..Nice "STAMP"..can we SEE the rest of yer collection...............BOB BOB.... fer facks sake put it onna Credenza thingie......it (TV)looks like  a lost in SPACE soul from the Vulcan SHIP-Ment......Scale Man SCALE...............yer a MALE MODEL'er    aren't ya  ;D

staring that HIGH inta SPACE is great fer URANUS or MARS bars......but i've got a CRICK in my BOX.............
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:13:59 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 11:57:27 am »
Looks good, now you need some furniture so you can sit down and enjoy it. I'll be the first to say it....But isn't the tv a little high on the wall or is it just from the angle the picture was taken?

I agree with projector also...can't beat it for value today.

For receiver/speakers, lots of deals going on. Might want to check out EHR's ad today.

It's slightly higher than eye level, but not too high, it's a relatively low ceiling.  It's just out of Elliot's reach...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 11:59:24 am »
Nice!
You should get an Xbox 360 to join us in our Thurs night Forza 2 races.
As a bonus, Forza 2 is on sale for $10 right now at Staples ;-)

Just be warned....Careerner is aka Michael Shumacher on race nights.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 12:59:10 pm »
Out of Elliot reach? Not for long.   Kids can climb like monkeys.   They can figure how to stack stools, chairs, toys to reach higher.  A lockable cabinet for the electronic components might not be a bad idea.  I didn't do that and now I am an expert at removing coins, toys, yogurt tubes, and sandwiches out of the VCR, DVD player, etc.  :)

How about some of these furniture to fill the barren basement?

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 02:12:35 pm »
:iagree:  Even if you have a window, LCDs are so bright it doesn't matter.  And for 1/2 the year it's dark anyways.

:surrend:  Don't remind me.  It's dark by 5:00 these days...  :thumbdown:

How about some of these furniture to fill the barren basement?

:iagree:
>:D :skid: