Author Topic: 2010 Mustang  (Read 19264 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Mustang
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 11:47:25 pm »
^^^^Actually, the Supra makes more power (320).   ;D

And I think I can call a modern car with all the advantages of modern technology and manufacturing a "porker" if I want. (FWIW, I was mostly referring to the other retro cars as I said the Mustang has always enjoyed a weight advantage).  But newer cars just keep getting heavier, and heavier........(or do I have the moral authority to say that??) 

I mean...if I can be as anal as you...I also own an Echo which weighs 2030 lbs.  So is it OK for me to criticize the weight of the Mustang now??  Does this put me back on "moral high ground"?  ::)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:03:24 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2008, 08:00:15 am »
Yet another thread trashed by off-topic posts by the Toyota fan boys, bravo.

The Supra cost $US40000 new in 1998 (about $50k in 2008 dollars). The Mustang starts at $33500 now. They weigh the same inspite of all of the extra safety equipment the Mustang has to carry, 0-60 is about identical (5.1 sec) as is the quarter mile (13.6). The Supra does handle better due to its more sophisticated suspension. The Mustang can be made to handle for less than $2k. Still a bargain.

The Toyobaru is vaporware. Back in the day, nobody was cross shopping the Corolla GTS with pony cars. They won't this time around either, if it ever makes it to market.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 08:02:26 am by Big_Thumb »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2008, 08:06:53 am »

The Supra cost $US40000 new in 1998 (about $50k in 2008 dollars). The Mustang starts at $33500 now. They weigh the same inspite of all of the extra safety equipment the Mustang has to carry, 0-60 is about identical (5.1 sec) as is the quarter mile (13.6). The Supra does handle better due to its more sophisticated suspension. The Mustang can be made to handle for less than $2k. Still a bargain.

The Toyobaru is vaporware. Back in the day, nobody was cross shopping the Corolla GTS with pony cars. They won't this time around either, if it ever makes it to market.

:rofl: :rofl2: Hey! Shouldn't we add the Hyundai Genesis Coupe into this discussion too? Oh, and while we are at it, add that to the 2010 Camaro thread too which has become more or less a clone of this thread!  ??? :P

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2008, 02:41:11 pm »
Those stats above just go to prove what a porker the new Challenger really is.  :P

197.8" long..that's huge...my BMW is 190". And 4041#s, again totally heavy.

This car will sell to the die-hard Mopar afficianado and not many others. If I were a buyer of this type of car today, the new Mustang and maybe the Camaro would get my money. 
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Mitlov

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 02:44:50 pm »
Those stats above just go to prove what a porker the new Challenger really is.  :P

This car will sell to the die-hard Mopar afficianado and not many others. If I were a buyer of this type of car today, the new Mustang and maybe the Camaro would get my money. 

While I'm certainly not saying it's better than the Mustang or the Camaro, I see two reasons to go with the Challenger:

(1)  Best looks of the bunch, by far (IMO, of course).  I just think they did a stunning job with the styling.
(2)  Only one with a useable back seat, from what I've read.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2008, 03:00:44 pm »

While I'm certainly not saying it's better than the Mustang or the Camaro, I see two reasons to go with the Challenger:

(1)  Best looks of the bunch, by far (IMO, of course).  I just think they did a stunning job with the styling.

Awful dealers though, I got a short response yesterday in one dealer.

Blah blah blah, collectors item, your'e talking $50K, lease rate of 13% whatever....

No interest in my business whatsoever, and the sales guy was a moron... Struck off the list.  :( >:(

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2008, 03:20:31 pm »

As you say, styling is subjective but the Challenger is probably the closest to the original of the three.

With these types of cars, 98% of the buyers could care less if there is no rear seat room. This is not a car that generally appeals to family-oriented buyers or realtors for hauling a client around in.

That's why I said only die-hard Mopar fans will buy. It's huge and heavy.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2008, 05:05:31 pm »

Awful dealers though, I got a short response yesterday in one dealer.

Blah blah blah, collectors item, your'e talking $50K, lease rate of 13% whatever....

No interest in my business whatsoever, and the sales guy was a moron... Struck off the list.  :( >:(

Too bad you weren't closer JB, one of the local Dodge dealers is pretty good (the other, not so much). Here the Chevy/Cadillac, Ford, Mazda, Toyota dealers are pretty poor, but the Pontiac/Buick/GMC, Ford/Lincoln, Subaru/Volvo and aforementioned Dodge dealers are ok to very good. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2008, 05:34:01 pm »
BOB ya seriously intrested inna RETRO PONY..................err CAR................ :rofl2:..........no wunner.......he dissed ya  ..... he saw yer Lotus blazer....................... :P....
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 05:37:37 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2008, 05:38:45 pm »

You'll be OK.  Take a deep breath.   ;D

And FWIW, I recall it was YOU who brought the Toyota Supra into this discussion, not Steve or I....... So I guess you only have yourself to thank for derailing this one!!  ;D (But I enjoy discussing/debatting about Supras, so feel free to bring it up anytime!!)   :rofl2:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 05:46:51 pm by rrocket »

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2008, 08:17:39 pm »
Steve where have you been with Gm producing a 4cyl sports car for several years now Ever hear of the Solstice or the Sky I believe they call it. You can even order a optional V6 in at least one of the 2 as well.  :( :(
Optional V6? I don't think so.Optional turbo 4 yes. good car but no trunk :P
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2008, 10:03:17 am »

I agree with Ovr50 that few in this market would care much about the backseat.  However, the mustang rearseats are certainly usable.  Would I want to sit back there for 3 hours?  No.  But I've had many friends ride in the back on the passenger side in relative "comfort" for a 3 hour blast into cottage country.

You're right, you wouldn't want to, say, pick up another couple and head for dinner.  But you could certainly stuff 2 medium sized kids in the back.  Which is likely the only use a potential buyer would expect. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2008, 02:28:09 pm »
How do you use a backseat when you can't physically get in it?

Only the seat backs move (very slowly) so actually putting kids in there would be a nightmare, you have to wait 5 minutes for the seat to move.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2008, 03:37:33 pm »

Only the seat backs move (very slowly) so actually putting kids in there would be a nightmare, you have to wait 5 minutes for the seat to move.

I'm suggesting that you 'could' stuff the little ones in the back for a sunday drive, out to dinner, to grandma's, etc, etc.

Not that you'd do it everyday. 

The point being....who gives a sh!t about rearseats in a mustang? (other than members of CTC, of course ;))

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2008, 04:19:51 pm »

I'm suggesting that you 'could' stuff the little ones in the back for a sunday drive, out to dinner, to grandma's, etc, etc.

The point being....who gives a sh!t about rearseats in a mustang? (other than members of CTC, of course ;))

No I agree totally, I wouldn't be buying it for it's practicality, I just couldn't figure out how to get them in at all, the gap between the seat and the b/c pillar seemed too small?

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2008, 04:52:54 pm »

No I agree totally, I wouldn't be buying it for it's practicality, I just couldn't figure out how to get them in at all, the gap between the seat and the b/c pillar seemed too small?

Kids are squishy at that age, aren't they?  Crowbar and a little Vaseline and you're golden!
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2008, 07:11:18 pm »
I ended up with a "secretary special" Mustang as a rental in Tampa. Even took 3 clients to lunch with it. They didn't complain...too much! ;D

Mitlov

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2008, 07:49:55 pm »
Kids are squishy at that age, aren't they?  Crowbar and a little Vaseline and you're golden!

I really don't want to be the one to buy a crowbar and vaseline and tell the checker, "oh, it's for my kids"...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2008, 08:59:35 am »

I really don't want to be the one to buy a crowbar and vaseline and tell the checker, "oh, it's for my kids"...
Thank you for shopping at Walmart.

mikeeb777

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2008, 05:05:58 pm »
 ::) nothin special