Author Topic: VERY Tasty Veggie-Burger Recipe!!  (Read 15568 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
VERY Tasty Veggie-Burger Recipe!!
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:41:37 pm »
Let me first start off by saying I am a meat eater through an through.  Although I eat plenty of Asian food, I just can't go without steaks, roasts, and just about any other meat...farm raised or wild game.  I'm a carnivore.

But I accidentally stumbled onto this recipe that I just had to try.  I often watch the program called Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network hosted by Guy Fieri.  This program interests me because this is the type of food I eat and enjoy when I am on road trips or going to races in the Supra.  I've even jotted down a few of the places and have visited them in my travels.  Guy Fieri is also a huge meat-eater like myself....so if he's recommending a dish at some place, chances are I'm going to love it too!

Anyways, Import Queen was watching TV on Thursday.  I popped in to see what she was watching, and saw that Guy Fieri was on.  I thought it was the usual program, but it wasn't.  It was some other one he does that I don't watch.  He was going to be making veggie burgers that he says even HE likes.  I was like "Yea, whatever". Pfffttt....veggie burgers are for girls and PETA, right??  :)

So anyways.....I ended up trying the recipe on Friday...and I have to tell you...it was VERY good.  I have to honestly say I wasn't missing any of the meat.  And the texture of the burgers was very meat-like.  The taste with all of the spices was, well..a bit on the spicy side, but very tasty.  I didn't try them on the BBQ yet, but I plan too.  I fried them in olive oil on the stove as was recommended.  These were so good, I made extra and tossed them in the freezer, and had one as a snack during Sunday Night Football.

The only thing I would recommend to add to the recipe is to make sure all the beans are crushed up good.  Not into a paste, but just crushed down...otherwise the patty won't stick together as well.

So if you want a delicious burger that's good for you too....try these.  You won't be giving up anything in the taste dept...

Ingredients (makes about 4 patties)

* 2 ounces olive oil
    * 3 tablespoons diced red onion
    * 2 tablespoons diced black olives
    * 2 tablespoons diced red bell peppers
    * 1 teaspoon diced jalapeno
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons diced garlic
    * 1 tablespoon diced artichoke
    * 4 ounces black beans, drained
    * 4 ounces chickpeas, drained
    * 4 ounces white beans, drained
    * 6 ounces rolled oats
    * 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
    * 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    * 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    * 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
    * 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    * 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
    * 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
    * 1 egg

Directions

In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add 1-ounce olive oil and all raw vegetables except beans. Saute until translucent. Remove and cool.

Add veggies to beans and mix thoroughly (I used my hands and kinda crushed everything together). Add all dry ingredients along with the egg. Thoroughly mix all ingredients and form into patties, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (To form patties, I took the lid from a round container.  I lined it with Saran wrap. I put the mixture in, then wrapped the patty in Saran. That way it could go right to the freezer if you want.  The Saran wrap also helps them hold their shape until they "set" before cooking).

In saute pan add 1-ounce olive oil, and cook patties 2 to 3 minutes per side. 

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: VERY Tasty Veggie-Burger Recipe!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 06:30:15 am »
Recipe saved.  I'll try those....like you I am a carnivore.... I eat lots of Indian food rather than Asian... mainly 'cos I can cook that and I have not yet tried cooking Thai/Viet/Malay etc

Not quite veggy as they have an egg

I suspect that that combination of beans/chickpeas and oats could produce much gas.

"The taste with all of the spices was, well..a bit on the spicy side, but very tasty"  yes, Jalapeņos, chili flakes and chili powder  will do that... excellent

I like Guy's programs as well especially the Diners one.  No wonder Americans are big people!
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:53:33 am »
I like Guy's programs as well especially the Diners one.  No wonder Americans are big people!

My wife noticed that Guy has gained weight since "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" started.

Veggie burger looks rather appetizing

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:00:29 am »
  BURGER THAT...............................i can get a Whopper Jr fer $1.89............sounds like i'd need ta buy $30 of guff ta make it.................I'll pass.........whilst U lot PASS GAS... :think: :nono:

why do vegetarians keep trying to imitate MEAT...................it's a bad diet choice.....we are NOT herbivores..................
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:03:44 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:27:39 am »
Best way to make a great veggie burger...............add beef! ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:38:36 am »
 ;D :rofl:  Bring back Rrocket's MOM........................

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:20:23 am »
..O'lives NOT worth Living then.................... ::) :P.......nice Plump Juicy ones wif a great sheen on them.............and then there are OLIVES oiled..................Oy Pop_EYE.... :o :o :o :o

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 11:41:00 am »
I'll have to try it!  Always on the lookout for great veggie recipes.  No, I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat almost no red meat.  Chicken and fish are my primary flesh-based protein sources.

Thanks for posting!!

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 11:50:01 am »
MMMMMM that does sound good.
I can only imagine how good a cow would taste if he only eats these burgers. :)
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 11:54:43 am »
 ??? ::) Huh them there cows are Veggie  eatin'  Meaty Burgers onna HOOF...................... :P :rofl:

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 12:15:45 pm »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 12:23:57 pm »

Hello Murder
         Hello Fargo
         here we are at Abbatoir ville

Had a Juicy
         Messy Sirloin

Soon I'm havin'
         a Tasty N.Y Striploin

Then I'm goin'
          Ta MORTONS

Scarfin' a Filet
           Wif tha horns'on

Bloody Hell
           it's great here

At camp
          Carnivoria

Bye bye mudder
          Hello Father

can't beat the grease
          here in Western Canada.................

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 04:16:12 pm »
On a slightly different note. Here in Ottawa we have a burger place called The Works http://www.worksburger.com/.
They have a bunch of different patty options including Elk Meat. I have tried it a few times and I'm a huge fan and it has about 1/10 the fat content of its beef counter part.
 ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 05:52:56 pm »
How do you think they would taste without the olives?

Fine!!  I forgot to add the olives to the second batch I made!!  :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 08:48:30 pm »
"You don't make friends with salad, you don't make friends with salad!"

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 11:13:07 pm »
"You don't make friends with salad, you don't make friends with salad!"

:rofl2: