Author Topic: Wine "Finds"  (Read 4933 times)

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
Wine "Finds"
« on: November 07, 2008, 01:57:19 pm »
RunsinLight got the topic started in another thread but an interesting idea struck me whilst reading. Not only to we seem to have the global brain trust of Automotive taste  ;) but we may also have some members that share excellent taste in wine.

My idea for this thread is that we can post here any great finds or great bargains that we happen to come across. A nice $20-30 is great, but like Brig mentioned, a nice $9 bottle is even better  :pimp:. So I was wondering if anyone out there had some recommendations, understanding of course that everyone has different tastes, of great wines that are also inexpensive. Red or white are welcome as I am an equal opportunity imbiber (that a word?). I'll Start...

CONO SUR PINOT NOIR
LCBO 341602 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 10.45
(Yes a ten dollar pinot that is not for rust removal, light easy drinking, try not to be swayed by the campy name)
Wine, Red Wine,
12.5% Alcohol/Vol.

Sugar Content : 1

Made in: Chile, Chile
By: Vina Tocornal

Tasting Note
Ruby red colour; cherries, earth and berries with a touch of spice in both aroma and flavour; dry, light to medium-body, quite lively on the palate, with mild tannin and a rounded fruity finish.

Serving Suggestion
Spicy casserole, roast capon or ham
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: Wine "Finds"
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 02:30:20 pm »
Excellent thread, D-Man.  :)

Oh, wait... someone started one two almost three years ago: http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,42284.0.html

;D

I do like your format better, if we can keep the thread clean of banter, and post only suggestions.

Edit:  Holy crap!  I said two years, and it's actually THREE years ago!   :fall:  Time flies.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:38:43 pm by Brigitte »

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 02:57:28 pm »
My brother pointed this one out to me:

UPC #7798039590656 - La Chamiza Torrentes 750 ml
Category 308 White Table Wines-Argentina
Retail Price: $8.49 (NB Price)

For that price, it's really amazing.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 03:27:09 pm »
TenP...I enjoy many of the Argentinian wines (reds) as well as the Chileans, definitely some bargains out there.

---Que Saffy for inset picture of Eva Peron crying for Argentinian wine.---

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 03:35:54 pm »
I don't do many Argentinian wines, but one we do buy as an everyday wine to drink while you're cooking dinner is Finca Flichmann, Cab Sauv. at $11 in BC. It's a decent (not great, but drinkable) wine at a cheap price.

Can't have NY Strip every night... ;) ;)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 03:40:41 pm »
We joined the Opimian Society last year..the other day, I stopped in to our local liquor store to pick up what had come in....11 cases.  Yummm.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 04:26:35 pm »
Mrs tpl is a great believer in the Argentinian Malbec reds. She spent a few weeks down there a couple of years back and drank them live as it were.
Anyway, we have bought several different ones from the LCBO.   Haven't had a bad one, had several very good ones and they are great value.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 05:12:55 pm »
 :'( CHILE in here  ::) :P...............amazing "plonk" prolly the best $ value anywhere.....suggestions to follow...i'm quaffing a nice '08 Tuborg TGIF...Tank Gawd I Finished tha LEAVES..... :fall:.......FALL ya can have it in NOV :-\ i'd rather be GULPING err GOLFING   oh i was twice this week....... :D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 07:47:55 am »
In specific response to tpl's comments about our Argentinian friends I thought I would offer the following. Reccomended by the wine guy in our local rag, like a good Pavlovian subject I ran right out and bought some. IMO, not bad for $7.45....it's no J.Lohr but then again what is?

FUZION SHIRAZ MALBEC
LCBO 83188 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 7.45
Wine, Red Wine,
13.3% Alcohol/Vol.

Made in: Argentina, Argentina
By: Familia Zuccardi

Serving Suggestion
Delicious with pasta, steak and casseroles.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:17:45 am »
In specific response to tpl's comments about our Argentinian friends I thought I would offer the following. Reccomended by the wine guy in our local rag, like a good Pavlovian subject I ran right out and bought some. IMO, not bad for $7.45....it's no J.Lohr but then again what is?

FUZION SHIRAZ MALBEC
LCBO 83188 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 7.45
Wine, Red Wine,
13.3% Alcohol/Vol.

That one's been sold out in and around the GTA for months, now.  Last week, I noticed about 15 cases sitting in my local LCBO - they had just arrived.  Cashier stated that every single bottle would be gone before the end of the next day.

About a month ago, CBC Radio Noon did a phone-in about this wine.  One guy called saying that he had just come back from Montreal, and there were loads of bottles at the grocery stores there.   :rofl2:

I snagged a bottle when the hoopla began.  While it's quite nice, I wouldn't call it spectacular, and certainly would not go out of my way to get more.  I'll wait until the hysteria dies down (it always does).

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 09:54:16 am »
..had a bottle of FUZ-ion last nite..........with a lasagna.......perfectly decent  and fer the PRICE good value......asked the LCBO folk about it..mixed reviews...but it is NO paint stripper...may become my HOUSE WINE  fer a while........i could get SIDEWAYS with the 4 fer 1 price thang.... ;) :drool: :fall:........vis a vis the $30 stuff...... :-X

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 03:10:10 pm »
Another couple of picks from the weekend

This one is not quite up to J.Lohr Standards but a good drink in any event....
LIBERTY SCHOOL CABERNET SAUVIGNON (V)
VINTAGES 738823 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 16.95
Wine, Red Wine,
13.5% Alcohol/Vol.

Sugar Content : XD

Made in: California/Californie, United States
By: Treana/Liberty School

Release Date: Oct 11, 2008

Description
This delicious Cabernet teaches the meaning of value. Its nose is intense with concentrated dark fruit, particularly cherry and plum, complemented by spicy and savoury notes. It's dry, dense and richly textured with great balance and ripe tannins. For continuing education, enjoy anytime over the next 2-3 years with braised or roasted beef dishes.

Far from a bargain.....but quite delicious!
TOMMASI AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO 2004
VINTAGES 356220 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 52.95
Wine, Red Wine,
15.0% Alcohol/Vol.

Sugar Content : D

Made in: Veneto, Italy
By: Tomassi

Release Date: Oct 25, 2008

Description
This rich Amarone gushes with ripe cherry and plum fruit with notes of vanilla oak and toast. Dry and round with ripe tannins, this mouthfilling wine would pair well with grilled lamb or stuffed pasta dishes.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 10:52:13 am »
I love this one.  For a relatively inexpensive wine it's good.

BELLINGHAM SHIRAZ VIOGNIER
LCBO 554360 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 13.85
Wine, Still Table Wine, Red Still Table Wine
13.0% Alcohol/Vol.

Made in: South Africa, South Africa
By: Bellingham Estate Pty.

Tasting Note
Medium ruby colour; ripe plum, cherry fruit, leather and chocolate aromas; dry, medium-bodied with soft tannin and hints of smoke and spice; good length.

Serving Suggestion
Grilled or roasted red meats; medium cheeses

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 10:55:31 am »
One more.  For special occassions and gifts.

CASA MARIN LO ABARCA HILLS VINEYARD PINOT NOIR 2004
VINTAGES 67728 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 59.95
Wine, Red Wine,
14.0% Alcohol/Vol.

Sugar Content : XD

Made in: Chile, Chile
By: Vina Casa Marin

Release Date: Aug 16, 2008

Description
The Wine Advocate's Jay Miller awarded this Pinot 92 points, loving its 'raspberry/strawberry bouquet ... rich, plush, and has serious depth and intensity as well as a very long finish. This is a candidate for best Pinot Noir of my tastings.' (June 2007)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 11:38:12 am »
...14% ALCOHOL and $60 smackers...............I'd LAY that one DOWN................... :o 8) :D ;) :-*..
 how many deals ya closed wif a glass or Two!!!????

weebl

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 05:18:42 pm »
Pascual Toso 2006 Malbec from Argentina, believe it was around $12 a bottle.  Exceptionally smooth tasting wine. 

Greg B.

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 05:36:27 pm »
One from Nova Scotia at the NSLC:

CASA DE CAMPO CABERNET RESERVE
Argentina
$11.50 + HST + Dep = $13.20 total

Great value, compares to others costing $5-$10 more.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 05:37:33 pm »
 ???... ::)...Pascal toso..........i'm philosophically torn................i drink therefore i am.....................hammered.............. :drool: :fall: :cheers:

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 05:47:40 pm »
???... ::)...Pascal toso..........i'm philosophically torn................i drink therefore i am.....................hammered.............. :drool: :fall: :cheers:

No, it was René Descartes who was the drunken fart.  Get it straight.   ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 06:19:05 pm »
solly..i'm drunk therefore i Kart.............Fart........this is too.....much....I meant Rip Torn............