Author Topic: Red Wine Suggestions  (Read 8427 times)

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Red Wine Suggestions
« on: November 04, 2008, 04:43:59 pm »
I was looking for a suggestion that I buy as a gift for someone. I know basically nothing about wine. I'm looking for one I could buy in the Liquor Store. I don't want to bothered with wine reps etc..

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: Red Wine Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 04:52:49 pm »
If you're at a loss, I would suggest anything with a VQA (Vintner's Quality Alliance) label.  These are Canadian (Ontario and BC) mines that meet a very strict quality and authenticity standard - grapes must be 100% Ontario or BC, with minor exceptions.  My parents really enjoy Red Rooster, which is a BC wine, around $20/bottle at home.  Not sure if its even available out here, nevermind price.  Most liquor stores will have a VQA section, so that makes life easy.  :)

FWIW, I quite enjoy Yellow Tail, which is an Australian wine that sells around $12/bottle.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:04:30 pm »
My Current Favorite. Canadian Wines are great (I've sampled many) but IMHO nothing beats a California Cab......and this one is simply delicious. :drool: Would make an excellent gift.

J. LOHR SEVEN OAKS CABERNET SAUVIGNON (V)
VINTAGES 656561 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 19.95
Wine, Red Wine,
13.5% Alcohol/Vol.

Sugar Content : XD

Made in: California/Californie, United States
By: J Lohr Winery

Release Date: Oct 11, 2008

Description
Every time this Cab has been featured in a Vintages release it disappears from store shelves with lightning speed so we decided to make it an Essential ensuring that it's always available and you're never disappointed. Made from wines aged in a mixture of Hungarian and American oak barrels for 14 to 16 months, this densely coloured red is packed with intense aromas of black cherry, blackcurrant, cedar, vanilla and spices. Full-bodied and sweet-centered, this Cabernet will pair beautifully with roasted or grilled red meats.

You can see what LCBO (if in Ontario) you can find it or any wine at here: http://www.lcbo.com/products/productsearch.shtml
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 05:14:25 pm »
What's your price range?

Also very important. Are you looking to spend big? (Opus One) or appear frugal? (Boone's Farm) ;D

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 05:32:25 pm »
I don't know much about the price ranges  either.  I'd  like to keep it under $30

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 06:09:02 pm »
You don't say where you are in your profile but IIRC you are in Guelph yes?     if so there are two LCBOs with a Vintages section in G    One on Scottsdale at Stone and the other at 378 Speedvale E    Go and ask one of the people in Vintages. They are invariably reasonably knowledgeable and if you can wait until Saturday there is a release coming up.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 06:09:15 pm »
My Current Favorite. Canadian Wines are great (I've sampled many) but IMHO nothing beats a California Cab......and this one is simply delicious. :drool: Would make an excellent gift.

J. LOHR SEVEN OAKS CABERNET SAUVIGNON (V)
VINTAGES 656561 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 19.95
Wine, Red Wine,
13.5% Alcohol/Vol.

Sugar Content : XD

Made in: California/Californie, United States
By: J Lohr Winery

Release Date: Oct 11, 2008

Description
Every time this Cab has been featured in a Vintages release it disappears from store shelves with lightning speed so we decided to make it an Essential ensuring that it's always available and you're never disappointed. Made from wines aged in a mixture of Hungarian and American oak barrels for 14 to 16 months, this densely coloured red is packed with intense aromas of black cherry, blackcurrant, cedar, vanilla and spices. Full-bodied and sweet-centered, this Cabernet will pair beautifully with roasted or grilled red meats.

You can see what LCBO (if in Ontario) you can find it or any wine at here: http://www.lcbo.com/products/productsearch.shtml

+1 to those comments, Dockman, exactly.

We have had the J.Lohr you mention above and it is very good. Several other very good Calif Cabs are Rodney Strong, Wente, and Benziger. The Wente is right around $20 (all BC prices), the Rodney is about $24, and the Ben is a bit more at about $33. The Ben is lovely, but the other two plus the Lohr are very, very acceptable. I would rather drive one good bottle than two mediocre ones. I don't think any of the Canadian reds, while much improved, and very good, are quite as good as the California offerings. Some of the local Okanagan Valley Private Bottlings (you get from the vineyard shop only, not Liquor Store) are close to the Californias but you have to pay $35 plus for them.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 06:20:23 pm »
The people working at the LCBO are pretty knowledgeable.  Just ask them....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 06:31:45 pm »
Several other very good Calif Cabs are Rodney Strong, Wente, and Benziger. The Wente is right around $20 (all BC prices), the Rodney is about $24, and the Ben is a bit more at about $33. The Ben is lovely, but the other two plus the Lohr are very, very acceptable.

I have not had any of those.....on to the must try list they go.

I would rather drive one good bottle than two mediocre ones. I don't think any of the Canadian reds, while much improved, and very good, are quite as good as the California offerings.

Amen to that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 06:36:14 pm »
Just asked Import Queen.  She's very fond of Masi Valpolicella

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 08:12:46 pm »
Just asked Import Queen.  She's very fond of Masi Valpolicella

I'll second that, it's very tasty and reasonably priced.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 08:58:51 pm »
Agree with Ovr... Canadian reds really have a long way to go, IMO, and are so overpriced compared to better wines that you can practically get for a song from other countries.   

Thanks for the J. Lohr Seven Oaks suggestion, DockMan.  Sounds delightful!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 10:18:23 pm »
http://www.warre.com/otima/

WARRE'S OTIMA 10 YEAR OLD PORT
LCBO 566174 | 500 mL bottle

Price: $ 22.85
Wine, Port,
20.1% Alcohol/Vol.

Sugar Content : 12

Made in: Douro, Portugal
By: Vintage And Fine Wine International

Tasting Note
Bright, medium tawny colour; flavours and aromas of figs, apricots and prune; sweet with soft acidity, medium-bodied with a warm finish

Serving Suggestion
Blue cheese, walnuts or chocolate

NOTE: Prices subject to change without notice. Prices include container deposit fees where applicable. All products may not be available in all stores. Please see store personnel for details.

--------------

The best port I've tried hands down. The taste is unbelievable. Let me know if you need anything stronger  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 10:52:29 pm »
http://www.warre.com/otima/

WARRE'S OTIMA 10 YEAR OLD PORT
LCBO 566174 | 500 mL bottle

-------------

The best port I've tried hands down. The taste is unbelievable. Let me know if you need anything stronger  ;D

This sounds like it would be killer with my cigars.....

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 09:29:42 am »
I don't know what the Ontario stores charge for imported wines but if they fit in your budget, the following choices for red wine are definitely worth trying:

Chateau Montaiguillon  (St. Emilion from the Bordeaux region)
Chateau Taillan cru Bourgois (Haut Medoc from the Bordeaux region)
Chateau Montlabert Saint-Emilion (2004 if you can find it)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 09:36:54 am »
..Just PLONK down a $50........and ask fer as much Thunderbird as it'll buy...yer friend will thank ya in 2009...when his headache has subsided..............Premiers Cru Vouvrays are my faves................in  whites......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 09:40:51 am »
A few of my faves include Voga, from Italy. Campo de Casa, from Argentina. Birdfield Shiraz from South Africa, and Stoneleigh Pinot Noir  and Kim Crawford, both from New Zealand.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 10:57:47 am »
.... :rofl2:...i knew a Kim Crawford once .......................popped my cork......!!!!!!! :banana: :shuffle: :nono:.... :-[ :-[ :-[

ghost

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 04:33:15 pm »
Wines are subjective. What you like may not be what I like etc...

Having said that if you want to buy Bordeaux, look for vintage 2005 as it is the best vintage in terms of Bordeaux's history. For a modest sum, you are looking into 90 pointers.
Someone also mention Ports. It's great dessert wine. If you are out for keeps look for Vintage Ports in general.
Yellow Tail Shiraz is very popular, but I don't like 'em.
VQA is like a cartel.  ;)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 04:54:23 pm »
ghost - "Yellow Tail Shiraz is very popular, but I don't like 'em.
VQA is like a cartel."

As to Yellow Tail, agree that it's popular but mainly because of it's inexpensive price. IMO, it's barely drinkable.

As to the VQA being a cartel, I would disagree, as VQA is nothing more than a label of assurance that the wine is a "better quality" of Cdn wine. If it's better quality than other Cdn wines, you will likely pay more for it. Hardly a cartel, as you can chose among wines from the US, France, Argentina, Bulgaria, Australia, NZ, Hungary, etc, etc, etc. and the VQA label does not "force" you into buying that VQA wine. On the contrary, I would say the wine market is pretty open and highly competitive.