Author Topic: European tours  (Read 4499 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: European tours
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 05:44:00 am »
My two cents. All big cities look the much the same, I'd book a full day to check out each major city on your tour for it's nuances and then off to small towns.

I think that's only partly true.  In Italy, the highlight of our trip was Assisi, but I still absolutely adore Rome, and could easily have spent many more days there.  I think the big European cities are fantastic destinations in and of themselves.  Depending on your preferences, you could easily take week in any of them.  In Paris, for example, the L'Ouvre requires three days in and of itself (if art and history are you thing).

I agree that the small towns are amazing, but the splendor and magnificence of some of the big European cities cannot be downplayed.  :)
The Louvre takes only 2 days to see just the paintings and leave the antiquities... but then the Orsay takes 2 days itself.
A week is enough at one time for these cities but they take several weeks to get at all familiar with.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 10:47:27 am »
The Louvre takes only 2 days to see just the paintings and leave the antiquities... but then the Orsay takes 2 days itself.
A week is enough at one time for these cities but they take several weeks to get at all familiar with.

I looked forward with great anticipation to spending my week in Paris. After checking out all the main sites in the first few days....we got bored and realized that Paris is congested, dirty expensive and (again after you see the main attractions) just another big city. I would agree that Rome would probably be an exception to that rule. As an example though I liked Trier, Brugge, Oostende, Riems etc. far more than I liked Paris, or Frankfurt, or Koln (although I will never forget Carnival in Koln), ect. I must admit I have a special affinity for Amsterdam....I just find it a nice place to be.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 11:36:48 am »
 ::) yer just a smokin' Country Boy at heart then.................................... :stick: :pimp: :drool: :fall:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 01:00:52 pm »
I must admit I have a special affinity for Amsterdam....I just find it a nice place to be.

For some reason, this comes to mind.   ;D

Dockman
You don't have to put on the red light
Those days are over
You don't have to sell your body to the night

Dockman
You don't have to wear that dress tonight
Walk the streets for money
You don't care if it's wrong or if it's right...

:rofl2:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 01:29:45 pm »
 :fiver:

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 01:47:00 pm »
If someone would offer money for this body.....I'd be willing to listen! ;D

SkiBunny

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 06:10:51 pm »
Beware of wildcat strikes ruining your agenda.  The Louvre was closed when I was there.  So were the Eiffel Tower and most things.  The metro was running tho (and it's free if you hop over the turnstile as many parisians did), cathedrals were still open and so was Versailles

Western Europe was great but I've more enjoyed my travels in Africa and East Asia because they were more interesting, exotic, and cheaper (except Japan).  Next I think I'd like to try India. 

Perhaps surprisingly, my favorite part of Western Europe so far has been rural England (but I sure haven't been everywhere in western europe)

But all my memories are fond ones!.  So where ever you go and however you go, I'm sure it'll be a wonderful time!