Author Topic: Ford Releases 2010 Fusion Info  (Read 52229 times)

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
Re: Ford Releases 2010 Fusion Info
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 11:16:07 am »
Nice to see the 6-speed MT, they should make it available on the Sport too. BTW, this blue one is the Sport model, guess the front bumper will have some differences with this one on other versions.

I like this new Fusion. The new headlights now have projectors on them, which gives it a nice look and improves it functionality. The grille is ok, though I would really like to see an option without chrome. The angle of the headlights flows symmetrically with the angle of the fog lights housing, giving the car an aggressive look. The miniaturized Kuga lower air intake looks very well positioned. These changes allied to the revamped interior that I saw on some pics will surely improve the public perception of this car, which is, IMHO, one of the best choices in this segment.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 11:24:51 am »
anyone know if there is going to be ESC next year?  I could buy one of these if it had ESC.  I am so frustrated by the lack of ESC on Canadian 4-cylinder cars.  Often they are available in the USA but not here (ex.  Honda Fit, Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic, Hyundai Sonata).

It is available on the Malibu, Accord and Camry but I don't want any of those.  It is on the new Mazda6 but I am reulctant to buy a first model year Mazda until reliability ratings are out as their first year cars are far from a sure thing (see recent cx-7 and cx-9).  I would also buy the Sonata but no ESC in Canada and the USA version is not any cheaper right now and you forfeit the warranty.

Canadian divisions of these companies need to start demanding ESC for us.

Yes ESC is standard on all 2010 Fusion variants
AdvanceTrac® with ESC® (Electronic Stability Control) infor from Ford order guide for the MY2010 Fusion
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?s=819520de089190c1d32221a71cbe3484&act=attach&type=post&id=8010

Wolverine, that lower intake is from the Auzzie Ford Falcon http://www.revmods.com/2008-ford-falcon-fg-sedan/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:31:13 am by MKII »

Greg B.

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 04:47:06 pm »

Any car looks bad with bug guts all over it.  If you're concerned about how well it will age, remember instead that flat surfaces are easier to clean than complex surfaces, and that chrome doesn't chip like paint does. 

I don't like how it looks--I prefer the old Fusion--but "difficult to maintain" is the wrong reason to criticize this sort of grill.

I believe the grille is plastichrome though, which means that any sort of aggressive cleaning will strip off the shiny bits, unlike a diecast metal chrome plated piece. Check out the letters on the tailgates of most last-generation Caravans -- many if not most have lost the plastichrome, leaving ugly gray plastic for all the world to see.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 07:26:43 pm »
What's that chrome grille going to look like in 5 years with bug guts all over it? :(

Any car looks bad with bug guts all over it.  If you're concerned about how well it will age, remember instead that flat surfaces are easier to clean than complex surfaces, and that chrome doesn't chip like paint does. 

I don't like how it looks--I prefer the old Fusion--but "difficult to maintain" is the wrong reason to criticize this sort of grill.
Whatever  everyone has their take on it.  I'll criticize it however i like.Most people don't even wash their cars.  Greg B is correct it's only plastic so could be subjected to wear down the road. If it wasn't made to look like chrome it may age better.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 07:37:05 pm »
I'm not sure that picture does it justice. I think the front end is OK, but a bit over the top. The rest of the car is much the same, bit bland but inoffensive. I'm curious about what they did to the interior. Ford's been doing much better in that regard lately.

Still wishing for the wagons to return. Subaru and VW are pretty much the last men standing in that regard.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 09:48:06 am »
I'm not sure that picture does it justice. I think the front end is OK, but a bit over the top. The rest of the car is much the same, bit bland but inoffensive. I'm curious about what they did to the interior. Ford's been doing much better in that regard lately.

Still wishing for the wagons to return. Subaru and VW are pretty much the last men standing in that regard.

Here you go Big, interior pics:

New dash, new centre stack, massive 8" screen.

From this picture one can see that there are now 3 adjustable rear headrests instead of the two bumps on the seat in the current Fusion.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 12:09:53 pm »
That ranks right up there with the new 09 TL as one ugly grill, what is everyone doing with these hideous grills ???

I was thinking the grill was very Acura-esque.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 05:03:41 pm »
I really hate the looks of Fords steering wheels, the centre is to big
But can I have red button on my dash ;D

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 05:38:11 pm »
From the looks of it...that is a HUGE improvement to the interior.  I'd have to sit in one and see if they have truly done their work but that is good.  It looks like Ford has solved allot of the issues I had with the Fusion (it was on my original investigation list when I was looking for a car).  Its already a reliable car and now with better engines, better transmission, and a better interior...good on Ford.  Keep it up!

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 06:37:02 pm »
I really hate the looks of Fords steering wheels, the centre is to big
But can I have red button on my dash ;D

On the other hand, I prefer the big centre, looks more classy.

I always keep wondering what is that red emergency button for. Something like: "OHH MY GOD, THEY SAW THE CAR, CALL THE SUPER FRIENDS"

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2008, 10:41:26 pm »
Gawd, that massive chrome grille is horrendous.  :thumbdown:

I think what they did is blended the NA 'Red White and Bold' Gillette grill design language with the Euro 'Kinetic Design' trapizoidal shapes to avoid totally pissing off the North American design team.

Ford still has a ways to go before they can just do what's best for the company.

Mitlov

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2008, 11:30:14 pm »
I think what they did is blended the NA 'Red White and Bold' Gillette grill design language with the Euro 'Kinetic Design' trapizoidal shapes to avoid totally pissing off the North American design team.

Ford still has a ways to go before they can just do what's best for the company.

I love how people on this forum universally believe that Kinetic Design = awesome.  I hate it!  It's incredibly boring and anonymous.  Is it a Mitsubishi?  Is it a new Kia?  Is it a European Ford?  I have to look at the badge to find out.

I'd much rather have the design aesthetic of modern Mercuries than modern European Fords.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008, 07:37:22 pm »
Seeing that photo of the rear again I realized something. The Ford badge looks a bit bulky, just as the Ford badge on the new F-150 which holds a camera below it. Would the Fusion have a camera on the rear like the F-150??

turbodiesel

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 11:41:18 pm »
Disregarding the Big3 requiring bailout (in fact Ford claims it does not need bailout), the redesigned Fusion is just... GORGEOUS. The Sport version reminds me of the current Aussie Ford Falcon... the design is just right...

...and most importantly the 2.5L Inline 4 DOES come with 6 speed manual!

I wonder if any chance it will become the Euro Mondeo, making a simpler model range?

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 03:17:30 am »
I wonder if any chance it will become the Euro Mondeo, making a simpler model range?

Mondeo and Fusion merge as global car 2012/13

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 12:30:59 pm »
Oficial pics:

Sport model (Duratec 3.5L V6 E85):

Hybrid (2.5L I4)

More: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/19/la-2008-2010-ford-fusion-redesign-revealed/

Offline Diesel Advocate

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
    • It's time for a Diesel Revolution!!!!
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 04:25:05 pm »
That ranks right up there with the new 09 TL as one ugly grill, what is everyone doing with these hideous grills ???

I was thinking the grill was very Acura-esque.
I Agree about the grille. The front end needs to look more like the Mondeo in Europe. Other than that, I think the Fusion is a good looking vehicle. It's just a new grille and Amber rear turn signals short of perfection

Cortina

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 07:46:39 pm »
I'm not sure really.  It should be a good car tho. The Fusion has been great for Ford in turning the brand around. :-\

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/16/in-the-autoblog-garage-2010-ford-fusion-sport/

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 10:08:30 pm »
Where are the turbocharged eco-boost cars?

Waiting for transmissions to be beefed up which is a very GOOD sign.  Not the usual domestic engineering baloney.

Ford plans to sell 750,000 EcoBoost-equipped vehicles by 2013, which means the Blue Oval’s range of transmissions will need to be appropriately updated to handle the added power. Ford announced the first of those updates today, revealing a beefed-up six-speed automatic gearbox.

Dubbed the 6F-55, the new six-cog unit is a modified version of Ford’s 6F-50 transmission and will be mated to Ford’s EcoBoost 3.5L V6. Thanks to 10mm thicker ring gears, the 6F-55 should be more than up to the task of handling of 350+ lb-ft of torque.

“Adapting the 6F architecture to the EcoBoost engine demanded a close look at every component, piece of hardware, and calibration measure to ensure that this transmission could answer the needs of a higher output engine; help, not hinder, fuel economy; and meet Ford’s strict durability standards,” said Barb Samardzich, vice president, Global Powertrain Engineering.

The first application of the 6F-55 transmission will be in the 2010 Lincoln MKS.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 10:27:42 pm »
I'm not sure really.  It should be a good car tho. The Fusion has been great for Ford in turning the brand around. :-\

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/16/in-the-autoblog-garage-2010-ford-fusion-sport/

That looks pretty much like the new C Class.

Roughly similar wheels also.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!