Author Topic: My neighbour's son...  (Read 8044 times)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: My neighbour's son...
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 06:27:16 pm »
I agree, but didn't mention it on purpose.... ;)

I used to fly into there about 3 times a year back about 20 years ago, and there were a few times I wished I wasn't on the plane at all....yikes..... :o :o

Still, it is the best airport in the Kootenays, except for Cranbrook which isn't really in the Koots.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 06:40:56 pm »
We won't be using the airport, so no worries, but some time ago I did fly there, and it is a "drop" as apposed to an "approach."

Hopefully it's far enough from any city to keep us from going anywhere.  My in-laws are in Vernon, and that is far enough that they won't "drop by" without some planning.

Cranbrook is also on my list, but not as nice for climbing, though the Bugaboos are quite close.  But, Cranbrook's real estate is pricier than Castlegar.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 06:49:57 pm »
I am sure Castelgar is a great place.... for you.  To me, looking at Google earth  it might as well be Outer Mongolia.

I am an unrepentant city boy...just give me that concrete and a few tall buildings.  I get agoraphobia living in Guelph its such a small place. ( and I don't mean fear of Greek markets... I like markets)   ;)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 07:59:14 pm »
If your house is in a nice area why renovate

IF you house is worth of $300,000 I would not do anything just make sure it is clean. A  person will want the the house for the area will want to renovate the house to their own taste

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 09:41:09 am »
If your house is in a nice area why renovate

IF you house is worth of $300,000 I would not do anything just make sure it is clean. A  person will want the the house for the area will want to renovate the house to their own taste

Because my house is worth in the $500K-600K range, and in that market your house needs to be updated and loaded with new stuff even if the buyer plans on renovating themselves.  We'd done a ton of stuff not too long ago (slate and hardwood, new kitchen, etc) but many things needed to be completed to bring it in line with the price point of our neighbourhood.  Don't spend $10K on a new roof?  Expect to slash $20-25K off your selling price as the buyer not only wants the $10K for the roof, but more for the nuisance of having to have it done themselves.

Our old heavy stipple ceilings showed poorly.  So, we had all the ceilings refinished and painted.  The new owner might change the colour, but the new finish is worth doing prior to selling.  Many things like that...

Mitlov

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 09:55:46 am »
Just an observation on my street,

We have quite a range of folks in the 25 houses that make up my two-pronged cul-de-sac.  There are a half dozen or so VERY wealthy households.  We're not talking about high income, but high net worth.  The parents of the Gray kid recently dropped $1.5M in renovations on the house.

The families with money mostly have adult kids, and none of them are worth a crap.  Several of them didn't manage to finish high school, most of them have criminal records, and I can't think of one of them from those half dozen households that, as adults, actually contributes to society in any positive way perhaps past the economic benefit of blowing mommy and daddy's dough.

So if you're not trying to make a statement about wealthy families as a whole, if you're just talking about those six families, why do you keep mentioning their wealth?  Imagine if someone said "there are six Latino families on my street, and none of their kids are worth a crap."  When challenged about that position and their stereotyping of Latinos, that person says "hey, I'm just talking about the people on my block, I'm not trying to make any statement about Latinos as a whole."  The natural question would be "well if you're only talking about six families you happen to know, and not trying to make a point about Latinos as a group, why do you keep mentioning that you know six worthless Latino families instead of just six worthless families?"  Right?

And if you ARE trying to make a point about wealthy people as a whole, I think we all know that one block is not a large enough sample size to go around making judgments about entire segments of society.  I mean, there's one African-American on my block, and she's a profoundly unpleasant woman.  Should I now go around saying "African-Americans are unpleasant because the one African-American on my block is unpleasant"?  Of course not.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 10:33:21 am »
Comparing wealth and race is one hulluva stretch.  Last time I checked, no one could chose their race, but wealthy folks make the choice to pursue money.

My observation is that these families chose to make money instead of spending time parenting.  There is no relation to race or other factors beyond your control.  These are conscious decisions well within the realm of control of the individuals.  Your African American neighbour may chose to be obnoxious, but she had no control over her race.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 12:05:38 am »
Just an observation on my street,

We have quite a range of folks in the 25 houses that make up my two-pronged cul-de-sac.  There are a half dozen or so VERY wealthy households.  We're not talking about high income, but high net worth.  The parents of the Gray kid recently dropped $1.5M in renovations on the house.

The families with money mostly have adult kids, and none of them are worth a crap.  Several of them didn't manage to finish high school, most of them have criminal records, and I can't think of one of them from those half dozen households that, as adults, actually contributes to society in any positive way perhaps past the economic benefit of blowing mommy and daddy's dough.

So if you're not trying to make a statement about wealthy families as a whole, if you're just talking about those six families, why do you keep mentioning their wealth?  Imagine if someone said "there are six Latino families on my street, and none of their kids are worth a crap."  When challenged about that position and their stereotyping of Latinos, that person says "hey, I'm just talking about the people on my block, I'm not trying to make any statement about Latinos as a whole."  The natural question would be "well if you're only talking about six families you happen to know, and not trying to make a point about Latinos as a group, why do you keep mentioning that you know six worthless Latino families instead of just six worthless families?"  Right?

And if you ARE trying to make a point about wealthy people as a whole, I think we all know that one block is not a large enough sample size to go around making judgments about entire segments of society.  I mean, there's one African-American on my block, and she's a profoundly unpleasant woman.  Should I now go around saying "African-Americans are unpleasant because the one African-American on my block is unpleasant"?  Of course not.

HE SAID JEHOVAH!!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Mitlov

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 01:54:28 am »
Comparing wealth and race is one hulluva stretch.  Last time I checked, no one could chose their race, but wealthy folks make the choice to pursue money.

My observation is that these families chose to make money instead of spending time parenting.  There is no relation to race or other factors beyond your control.  These are conscious decisions well within the realm of control of the individuals.  Your African American neighbour may chose to be obnoxious, but she had no control over her race.

Then let's talk religion instead of race, because you can control your religion actually much easier than you can control your socioeconomic class.

If someone publicly declared, say, Muslims or Jews to be ignorant and hateful because they knew six people of that group and it just so happened that those six were ignorant and hateful, what would you say?  "Hmm, good observation, I like your methodology"?

Leviathan

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 02:19:49 am »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 02:45:11 am »
Then let's talk religion instead of race, because you can control your religion actually much easier than you can control your socioeconomic class.

If someone publicly declared, say, Muslims or Jews to be ignorant and hateful because they knew six people of that group and it just so happened that those six were ignorant and hateful, what would you say?  "Hmm, good observation, I like your methodology"?

I did not declare that I did a scientific study.  However, if there was six families on my street, all the same religion, and all had great difficulty in parenting their children, I might wonder what it was about them that created that.  But, what else do they have in common, and why are they poor parents?  In the case of the six I know, they took a laissez-faire approach to parenting and all spent inordinate amounts of money on their kids in lieu of spending time with them.  The religion of making money?  The religion of greed?

Do I think that all wealthy people are bad parents?  No.  However, I do think that it is difficult to become wealthy without being selfish and unconcerned with the outcome of others.  This propensity might make being a caring and giving parent that sets an example of community ethics difficult.  This is what I have observed on my street, and in my career.  Over the course of my professional life, 100% of my clients were wealthy people, and none were people I would want to spend any time with.

I think people at the extremes tend to be anti-social in some regard.  Many of our poorest suffer from mental illness and other problems that make it difficult for them to function.  I think this is true of many wealthy people as well, but their "problem" is manifested in such a manner that they can make money, therefore earning the admiration of many, but that does not mean they are healthy in how they function in their relationships with people.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 07:09:16 am »
HE SAID JEHOVAH!!

:rofl:

Up next:  Getting Hit On the Head lessons.  :)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:35:59 pm by Brigitte »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 07:20:07 am »
HE SAID JEHOVAH!!

Stone him!

RIGHT! Who threw that? Back of the line!

I don't want anyone throwing anymore stones until I blow this whistle! Not even if they say JEHOVAH!
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 08:40:11 am »
Do I think that all wealthy people are bad parents?  No.  However, I do think that it is difficult to become wealthy without being selfish and unconcerned with the outcome of others.  This propensity might make being a caring and giving parent that sets an example of community ethics difficult.  This is what I have observed on my street, and in my career.  Over the course of my professional life, 100% of my clients were wealthy people, and none were people I would want to spend any time with.

The truly wealthy people that I've met here (one of the richest families in Canada) have extremely Scots-Presbyterian work ethics - the kids know from day 1 that they are going to have to toe the line, and work their butts off for the rest of their lives.  As a result they, and their kids, are actually fairly nice people.  I've met them through work, at school, and at social events.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 09:38:27 am »
HE SAID JEHOVAH!!

Stone him!

RIGHT! Who threw that? Back of the line!

I don't want anyone throwing anymore stones until I blow this whistle! Not even if they say JEHOVAH!

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »
<sigh>  I grew up in a 'privileged' family and none of my childhood friends or myself turned into bad apples.  I think the largest influence on how kids turn out is parenting style and instilling good values.  How much or how little money has nothing to do with that. 

Mitlov

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 02:10:01 pm »
<sigh>  I grew up in a 'privileged' family and none of my childhood friends or myself turned into bad apples.  I think the largest influence on how kids turn out is parenting style and instilling good values.  How much or how little money has nothing to do with that. 

Exactly.  Ignoring your kids is bad for them, regardless of how rich you are.  And I've never seen any evidence that the proportion of rich people who ignore their kids is any different than the proportion of middle-class people who do that, or poor people who do that.

I'd be considered "from a family of privilege" by many, and my parents paid tons of attention to me.  I didn't turn out to be a criminal or anything.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 03:21:31 pm »
I didn't turn out to be a criminal or anything.

No, just irritatingly pedantic.   ;D

Mitlov

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 03:46:40 pm »
I didn't turn out to be a criminal or anything.

No, just irritatingly pedantic.   ;D

I'm sorry I'm so irritatingly detail-focused that I don't like large swaths of the population (including Wetson and arguably myself) labeled as bad parents and prone to criminal behavior.   ::)

If someone said "Muslims are generally bad parents and criminals," people would be screaming bloody murder (and with good cause).  Sorry that it's so "pedantic" to object to similar stereotyping of a socioeconomic class instead of a religious group.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:48:44 pm by Mitlov »

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 04:47:31 pm »
Oh, for the love of God... loosen up that broomstick, already.  Sheesh.   :rofl2: