Author Topic: 2008 Chevy Malibu  (Read 13284 times)

360ci

Re: 2008 Chevy Malibu
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 08:07:57 pm »
I don't mean to barge in here but I would imagine there were more variables involved that everyone is overlooking. I've had my fair share of rentals/loaners etc.

One in particular was a Nissan Versa hatchback with the puny 1.8L engine & 4 speed auto (remember, 2L is a pop bottle!) and my daily driver is a '00 Durango R/T full time AWD that averages 15-19L/100km.

Anyway, the Nissan averaged 11.8L/100km, and I had it for a week and filled it up twice in three days. The published figures were less than 10L/100km around town and I drove mostly highway at or under 110km/h. Mid week the service light came on for an oil change which I told Enterprise about, and they said to keep driving it for the three more days. I decided to check the tire pressures as one looked low and sure enough, all four were between 23-27psi. I pumped them up to 34 and my next tank I averaged 8.8L, a 20% improvement! Oh, I also had to purchase washer fluid as the tank in the car was BONE DRY. At least I got an additional discount after I had to spend my time, effort and money to maintain their car! I wasn't impressed.

ginger

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 10:17:45 pm »
does your fat butt have anything to do with it?

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 08:14:43 am »
does your fat butt have anything to do with it?

Play nice children!  :)

unctuous

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 10:34:42 am »
I find the Malibu too Narrow as well.  I am 6'2" and 200 lbs.  I don't like the way the centre console sticks up, less mobility for my legs.

carjoe

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 11:24:30 pm »
Just got back from a trip and had a rental Malibu LTZ and I loved it. It had the weird 2 tone leather, 18's, great seats...it got crappy mileage as well but it was barely broken in. I can't fault the new-ness for the poor mileage. I picked it up with 2600 miles.

I thought this thing was great. The 3.6 is gutsy enough and with the 6 speed auto transmission, finding the right gear was never an issue. The only thing I will fault is that the motor is pretty quiet and I often found myself in 4th gear when i should have been in 6th. Paddle shifters can be fun...The drivetrain was smooth with nearly imperceptible changes. If this weren't FWD, I'd get one.

The seats were quite comfortable as well. Power seat for the driver with lumbar support. I found a great position and it lasted for a small trip with no real fatigue to speak of.

Good looking car too. The 18's really add to the look as well as the fog lights. It helped me spot the car in the sea of rentals in the parking lot.

Overall a very nice car and I can see why all the accolades are being showered on this car.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 04:06:45 pm »
So you were pissed off at Enterprise and caned their Malibu because you didn't look up exactly what "full size" means in the rental world? ::)

I've had enough RWD 300 rentals over the years to know that your fuel economy numbers don't make sense unless you whipped the Malibu like a rented mule.

If you really want a large car ie 300, Lucerne, Grand Marquis, Town Car etc you were looking at the wrong class. It wouldn't have mattered if it had been Hertz, National or Budget. They all have posters and their car lineups online.

I too disagree; 300 with a 3.5L wouldn't get that kind of mileage. it's more around 8 to 9 L/100km for highway.

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 07:40:12 pm »
The Malibu actually has more interior space than a Grand Prix I think... IIRC the Malibu and Impala are also pretty close on interior room. The Impala is bigger on the outside because it is an old design and not space efficient. W-Bodys have penalty box rear seats compared to the Epsilons (Malibu, Aura, G6). The big difference between the Epsilons and W-bodys is the seat design and seating position.

The seats in the Malibu are very comfortable to me... but they are different than many other American cars. They are narrow and hold you pretty firmly in place. Most American cars (like an Impala, 300, Allure) have a much wider seat which doesn't hold you in place as well but a lot of people like the "free" feeling of the wider seats. I'm 6'2" 205lb and drive a Regal... the Malibu (as well as the G6 and Aura) have much more of what I'd call a "sporty" seating position as well as the roof line around you. Its the complete opposite of something like the new Taurus with "command seating".

I drove an LS 4 cyl and I wasn't super impressed with it... but you have to remember it is an ABSOLUTE base Malibu... Even an LT is MUCH better. The downside to the LS for me was the grey interior was ugly and I didn't like the seat fabric. Other than that it was pretty good considering it was an absolute base car. I've been in base Camrys and I found the Malibu more impressive than those... and if you take out an LTZ 6 cyl with the 6 speed transmission and 2-tone leather you are talking about a whole different animal.

Also most rental companies a "fullsize car" can be anything from a G6 or Malibu to an Impala or Grand Prix... Something like a 300 or even the new Taurus are usually in the "luxury" or "premium" catagory. I used to work in a rental company... you should at least be happy you got something RESEMBLING what you booked, I've seen people with reservations for a compact come in and get stuck in a Dodge Ram pickup  ::) .
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:54:06 pm by whistler »

Offline LeftLand

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 12:09:00 am »
Also most rental companies a "fullsize car" can be anything from a G6 or Malibu to an Impala or Grand Prix...

I reserved a full-size at an Enterprise this summer, and arrived to find nothing but a Mazda3.  I would have understood if the guy had said “Sorry, sir, we couldn’t get a full-size, could you take the Mazda?”  But he insisted that it WAS a full-size!  Even when I politely tried to explain it to him, using the size guide pictures on his own counter (full-size represented by a Sebring), he wouldn‘t budge.  Incredible!

But I agree, a Malibu is solidly in the current definition of full-size.  Fifteen years ago, it would have been mid-size (a Crown Vic was a full-size).

Greg B.

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 06:00:35 am »
The Malibu actually has more interior space than a Grand Prix I think... IIRC the Malibu and Impala are also pretty close on interior room. The Impala is bigger on the outside because it is an old design and not space efficient. W-Bodys have penalty box rear seats compared to the Epsilons (Malibu, Aura, G6).

I disagree with your assessment of rear seat room. I have a W-body (Intrigue) and the rear seat is more comfortable than in the Malibu, whose rear seat I could barely get into. Given the Malibu's wheelbase and overall length I dunno where the room went, but it isn't in the rear seat.

Also most rental companies a "fullsize car" can be anything from a G6 or Malibu to an Impala or Grand Prix... Something like a 300 or even the new Taurus are usually in the "luxury" or "premium" catagory. I used to work in a rental company... you should at least be happy you got something RESEMBLING what you booked, I've seen people with reservations for a compact come in and get stuck in a Dodge Ram pickup  ::) .

A couple of weeks ago I had a reservation at Enterprise for a full-size. When I arrived (at the appointed time) they had none -- my choices were a PT Cruiser, a Lancer, and a Kia Spectra. Needless to say, the Seinfeld routine about the rental car place and reservations immediately came to mind.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 11:56:50 am »
Saw a black clean polished Malibu on the street...yes i t was Pre GLOBAL COOLING TIME ;D..nice looker.....that's ALL i know about IT................................on Rentals...Wifey flew to Calgary on Sat and had pre-booked a "compact"  COBALT or similar from Enterprise (the best deal $206 fer 8 days).......told her to ask if they Had Fits  ;)...Mazda 3's or a NEW Corolla.......they only had Suzuki Swifts the lady said..but hey we can "upgrade ! ya" to a brand new Focus (apparently that is one size up from compact..?..Biggie Too Pak?)...anyhoo..she like it and it is a great drive in the snow they are getting..and she sez she gets lottsa looks from the MEN DOWNTOWN.................the homeless no doubt ;D...all well that ends well.............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

mrgoody

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 05:47:57 pm »
Last month I rented a 2008 Malibu LS with a 4 cyl.

This has to be the most unconfortable car I have ever driven.  Although the exterior and interior are really nice to look at the car itself isn't pleasant to drive.  I also didn't find the gas mileage that good.

I rented this car from Enterprise and I asked for a large car with a 6cyl. engine.  They gave me this Malibu and told me that it was a large car.

I like the idea of renting for out of town trips, that way I'm not putting extra wear and tear on my car.

I was expecting an Impala, Grand Prix, or a 300 etc.  but no, I get a Malibu for a large car.  I own a 2005 300 and from Timmins to Toronto I got just a good gas mileage then that 4cyl. Malibu.

As for enterprise rent a car.... after I told them about my unhapiness they tole me that they will guarentee me a (real) large car the next time.

Stay tuned.

Thank you

I own a 2008 Chevy Malibu 2Lt, 4 cylinder- white with black interior.  So far I have driven about 25k on the car.  I got to tell you the car is excellent- drives and handles great and mileage excellent.  Infact the car is bigger than the cousin impala-so I am not sure what this guy means by large- may be you should ask for a hummer next time my friend.
If GM can come out with more cars like this I am positive it will pull out of the tough time with ease.  By the way did I mention it was voted as the north american car of the ear and jd power associates initial quality standards is very High.

barrie1

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 10:22:39 pm »
We also have to remember that all of us are different shapes and sizes and I can understsand why one driver would not be comfortable in a certain car and another will be. Some of us have short bodies and longer legs and others are the opposite. The angle of the backseats of the older Chrsylers used to drive my back into major problems if I rode in one for over a hour. I never found the front seats much better either but the car ran fine. As he was stuck with this car for the duration of his trip I can understand why he is upset. This car just didn't fit him correctly as he did not enjoy driving it from the sound of it at all. I can understand why he has posted what he has.  :)