Author Topic: Think twice about signing on to the national do not call list ....  (Read 11852 times)

carburator

Re: Think twice about signing on to the national do not call list ....
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 07:37:18 am »

1.  What number did you sign up the national do not call list with?  Your cell number?  You don't actually say.
If so,
2.  Why did you sign up your cell number if you've never gotten a marketing call on it?

3.  Was the call you got on your cell number specifically for you, ie, from your bank or something, or was it a random/general marketing 'cold' call?

Yes, I signed up my cell number because I was stupid. I was signing up with someone else and they just said put in your cell number too so I did without thinking. The call was from a marketing agency but I hung up before they said much more. It was a cold call since I never heard of them and never had dealt with them.

Is he trying to say that the no call registry sold his number to a US marketing firm?

Can someone look up the definition for stupid. I think they will find rrocket there. Why are you making stuff up like that rrocket?

Isn't it obvious that the do-not-call-list has to be given to the telemarketers so that they can take your number off of their lists? But, that's not what the telemarketers are going to do is it?  These companies share and sell information between each other all the time and so it is very easy for a US company to get our numbers.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 07:38:02 am »
Is he trying to say that the no call registry sold his number to a US marketing firm?

It would actually be damn funny if true.

What happens if a Canadian Co gives the Canadian call list ( not the no-call list)  to its American owners. Can the American company still call Canadians legally ?
Alternatively if the Canadian Co downloads the no-call list and hands it over to an American Co. .. maybe even a Co with a slightly different name and the Canadian Co then is the "fulfilment" company for the American Co.

Anyway... the big mistakes in the list are in  not forbidding politicians and charities to call and the 18 month rule for companies that you used to do business with. ( We gave up all dealings with Bell Canada in August and they now call about 3 times a week trying to get us back.... fortunately we have caller ID)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 11:48:16 am »
FWIW, I find Primus' Telemarketing Guard works very well.  Never had a telemarketer get through.  Sadly it also holds up anyone trying to call with a calling card...

As far as the Do Not Call list goes...  I think the biggest mistake was not making it international.  There must be some way to prevent a call centre in the US from getting through...?

barrie1

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 10:12:07 pm »
Carborater its obvous you do not understand the concept of these lists as you would not be calling anyone stupid but yourself on here if you did. The rules are any companies already operating can still call you but new ones can't. Perhaps one of your companies changed names or even was bought out but as far stupidity goes at least you do own up to your own.  :) ;D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 10:30:54 pm »

Why are you making stuff up like that rrocket?

I didn't make anything up. I merely posed a question.....

But you pretty much told us everything we needed to know with this statement.  Enough said.

Yes, I signed up my cell number because I was stupid.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:34:11 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BlackS40

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
  • Körglädjen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 01:58:09 pm »
Carborater its obvous you do not understand the concept of these lists as you would not be calling anyone stupid but yourself on here if you did. The rules are any companies already operating can still call you but new ones can't. Perhaps one of your companies changed names or even was bought out but as far stupidity goes at least you do own up to your own.  :) ;D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Barrie!!  You call rrocket "stupid" all the time!!  :) ;D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl2:

baumer00

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 04:20:56 pm »
Can someone point me to where it says that foreign entities calling in to Canada do not have to register?  I'm very curious to see this as my understanding is that ANY telemarketer that makes calls must register, further, any telemarker that makes cold calls must register for the expensive portion which is the subscription service.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 04:38:59 pm »
Does the legislation envisage the Cdn gov or one of its agencies bringing expensive suits in foreign courts  for some thing that is not an offence in that jurisdiction.  If not, what sanction is there.

baumer00

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 08:29:18 pm »
sanction is mostly irrelevant, the law is simple, whether or not they can enforce is a different matter.

comments on here have indicated that canadian entities could have affiliates outside of canada or have agents outside of canada make calls and avoid the law - that is doubtful/foolish, affiliates would risk creating risk for their in-country entities, while agency law would dictate that canadian entity would be responsible for the acts of its agent

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 09:01:17 pm »
Now there is a good invention, and simple too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7682111.stm

:)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

barrie1

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 10:48:57 pm »
Rrocket and I disagree fairly often but I have never ever called him Stupid in any post ever. Now that statement is downright Stupid to state and I have met him and do know differently as well.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 10:54:19 pm »
Rrocket and I disagree fairly often but I have never ever called him Stupid in any post ever. Now that statement is downright Stupid to state and I have met him and do know differently as well.  :)

Yea, you've only called me stupid in person!!  (Just kidding)

I could really care less anyhow....Because I know how super-duper awesome I am..... ;D

Offline BlackS40

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
  • Körglädjen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2008, 08:22:50 pm »

Barrie....I'm joking dude!!  Have a drink and relax!!    :rofl:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 09:00:21 am by Beetlejuice »

barrie1

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2008, 08:17:51 pm »
Beetljuice No offence taken and as its a Saturday night I will take you up on that suggestion. I have just enough good Cognac left for a nice taster. Rrocket you must have a very large mirror at home to fit all of that swelled head into.  :) ;D :rofl: :rofl2:

vdk

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2008, 09:24:06 pm »
Beetljuice No offence taken and as its a Saturday night I will take you up on that suggestion. I have just enough good Cognac left for a nice taster. Rrocket you must have a very large mirror at home to fit all of that swelled head into.  :) ;D :rofl: :rofl2:

i bet that mirror has a lot of lip marks too..  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2008, 05:12:44 pm »
"LIP????" marks................. :shuffle:..................................Beatle JUICE....wif an ego like that i know i could be bad....................... :rofl: yeah...yeah ...YEAH!!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 05:14:36 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

carburator

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 07:28:15 am »
Try this link.....it should help you a lot!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/coincidence

I just got my second call ever after signing on to the do-not-call-list a couple of weeks ago. This time it came from a 905 number and it was a recorded message from a duct cleaning company that was "working in my area". I don't live in the 905 area.

Sadly, the do-not-call-list is shared with the very companies the government is trying to stop from phoning us. Some dishonest companies are instead using the do-not-call list to get new numbers like mine.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 10:23:42 am »

I just got my second call ever after signing on to the do-not-call-list a couple of weeks ago. This time it came from a 905 number and it was a recorded message from a duct cleaning company that was "working in my area". I don't live in the 905 area.

Sadly, the do-not-call-list is shared with the very companies the government is trying to stop from phoning us. Some dishonest companies are instead using the do-not-call list to get new numbers like mine.

The time and energy you've spent 'enlightening' us. You could have written to the registry about the 'alleged' list sharing violators. Would do much good. You complain about everything. Take it easy.

carburator

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 09:43:42 am »
The time and energy you've spent 'enlightening' us. You could have written to the registry about the 'alleged' list sharing violators. Would do much good. You complain about everything. Take it easy.

Ya sure, I am sure that my complaining to them is going to fix things....right!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 09:56:29 am »

Maybe they are getting it from your LavaLife account?   :P