Author Topic: 80% off is awesome!  (Read 10096 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: 80% off is awesome!
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 08:51:50 am »
I have strong opinions about art, and fake plants, and will keep them to myself.   ;D

I saw "Voice of Fire" the year it was acquired by the National Gallery.  While abstracts aren't my cup of tea, it is a very impressive and imposing piece in person. 
Is the painting suppose to represent the sun rise in the morning?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 09:04:25 am »

As opposed to a sunrise in the evening?   :)

From what I've read, it was commissioned for Expo 67, for a display of American art in the U.S. pavilion.  Given the decade in which it was painted (60s), it's about individual freedom.

This article has great information:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=XiBA86UK_a4C&pg=RA1-PA173&lpg=RA1-PA173&dq=%22voice+of+fire%22&source=web&ots=KAwnS3pLJW&sig=UKr-NNKoA17aD2TX7nbzOZuUx-o&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result#PRA1-PA173,M1

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 09:38:30 am »

As opposed to a sunrise in the evening?   :)

Maybe if you were on Purple Microdot... :P
Rialton

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 11:49:22 am »
Maybe if you were on Purple Microdot... :P

You aging boomers crack me up.  :)

gottarondo

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 11:56:13 am »
I have strong opinions about art, and fake plants, and will keep them to myself.   ;D

Ah, I sympathize, but... I used to have opinions like that too, until it struck me that people who DO like fake plants and decorative (as opposed to artistic) art also always had way nicer homes than mine (Wing's case no exception).  But, I'm slowly beginning to grasp the benefits of quick and superficial over slow and authentic, especially given that the latter usually includes water stains.  Living for 15 years in a half-done renovation (but it's being done "right!") has gradually eroded all the disdain I ever had for anyone who did things the easy, conventional way.

My only reservation is about whether the 80% off price really represents the savings... as it only counts if the product was ever actually offered at its full price.  Which is why the important thing is always not what you saved, but what you spent and whether it's worth it to you.  And that is a lovely arrangement.  

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 12:33:17 pm »

Ah, I sympathize, but... I used to have opinions like that too, until it struck me that people who DO like fake plants and decorative (as opposed to artistic) art also always had way nicer homes than mine (Wing's case no exception).  But, I'm slowly beginning to grasp the benefits of quick and superficial over slow and authentic, especially given that the latter usually includes water stains.  Living for 15 years in a half-done renovation (but it's being done "right!") has gradually eroded all the disdain I ever had for anyone who did things the easy, conventional way.

My only reservation is about whether the 80% off price really represents the savings... as it only counts if the product was ever actually offered at its full price.  Which is why the important thing is always not what you saved, but what you spent and whether it's worth it to you.  And that is a lovely arrangement.  

Exactly!

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:36 pm »

Zombie, I'm the driver -- I have no choice. ;)

Neither do I, I just try not to talk about it. It gives me shivers just thinking about it.

My only saving grace is that Ikea is next door. I love 50 cent hot dogs.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 01:18:44 pm »
Semi-related:

Have any of you ever had framing done at Michael's?  I have some posters I would like framed but I am cheap monetarily impaired.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 01:26:50 pm »
Not cheap to frame there I don't think -- costco isn't priced badly but selection is minimal.

The stuff I bought was priced regularly, people are nuts to have paid that much -- crazy how they make $100's on these silly things.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 01:26:54 pm »
The last time a framed a print it was $400 each. What does it cost now?

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 01:31:03 pm »

Philosophically speaking, authentic and 'quick and dirty' needn't be mutually exclusive, IMO.  I follow William Morris's adage in decorating my space:  if it's not beautiful or useful, I don't buy it.  I will also add that I never spend huge amounts of money on the decorative aspect of my home.  I can understand James' excitement at finding something he considers beautiful and decorative to be very affordable.

However, as a bit of a purist, I do favour authenticity (I don't buy fake plants) and simplicity.  Basic is beautiful to me.  Clutter, frills, bows, wallpaper, garish colours and flowery patterns definitely aren't my thing - one big, bold piece can make a more interesting statement in a room than a bunch of knicknacks, IMO.  This is why I found "Voice of Fire" so interesting, all on its own.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 01:40:02 pm »
My only reservation is about whether the 80% off price really represents the savings... as it only counts if the product was ever actually offered at its full price.

Technically, a retailer is not allowed to advertise prices as "discount" if the product has never been offered at it's supposed "regular price".  And even if it has been offered at a regular price, there are certain guidelines that must be adhered to when pricing things as "clearance" or what have you.

Next time you get a Canadian Tire flyer, look for the "99-XXXX" product numbers.  In the past those would have been advertised as "SAVE $20.00"...  that's no longer the case.  Any of those "99" numbers are specials and not regular stock, so CT can't advertise them as "money off", since there was never a "regular price".

I'm sure some retailers skirt the rules, but they have been cracking down a bit more heavily lately from my understanding.

However, as a bit of a purist, I do favour authenticity (I don't buy fake plants) and simplicity.  Basic is beautiful to me.  Clutter, frills, bows, wallpaper, garish colours and flowery patterns definitely aren't my thing - one big, bold piece can make a more interesting statement in a room than a bunch of knicknacks, IMO.  This is why I found "Voice of Fire" so interesting, all on its own.

:iagree:  Simple and bold wins out in my books.  I think a minimalist approach to decoration works far better than trying to fill every corner with "something".

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 01:45:45 pm »
I hate clutter oh god I hate it, I like lots of room to move about at all times... seeing my desk you wouldn't believe me though.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 01:51:55 pm »
Bob, I can paint it for $300 + material, much less than the $1.76M purchase price in 1989. A lot negative publicity at the time about the acquisition of it with tax payer's money. Think it is called Voice of Fire, kinda look like a giant flag, IMO.

Of course you can, now that it's been done.
It's easy to copy, it's harder to be original.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 02:25:34 pm »
Semi-related:

Have any of you ever had framing done at Michael's?  I have some posters I would like framed but I am cheap monetarily impaired.

Framing goes on sale too from time to time. We got a frame done for 50% off recently. It's still not that cheap, but comparable to CostCo's regular price.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 02:27:56 pm »
Semi-related:

You can buy the frames and mats there and do it yourself. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 02:33:38 pm »
For those that live in Ottawa there is a U-Frame it place in the Glebe on the NE corner of Sunnyside and Bank. I have framed a few paintings that I did over the years there and they were always reasonable. Besides, you learned how to frame at the same time.
Raiton

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 04:44:44 pm »
..I could Frame that WORK OF ART fer ....let's say $444,999.99......................... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 06:20:23 pm »
Last time I had to frame something, I made the frame myself from scrap wood.   Now that's saving more than 80%.   It is still nice to see it when I visit the in-laws. 

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 09:37:04 pm »
Bob, I can paint it for $300 + material, much less than the $1.76M purchase price in 1989. A lot negative publicity at the time about the acquisition of it with tax payer's money. Think it is called Voice of Fire, kinda look like a giant flag, IMO.

Of course you can, now that it's been done.
It's easy to copy, it's harder to be original.

That would make me a 2nd hand Fake?