Author Topic: Life Insurance / Critical Illness  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Life Insurance / Critical Illness
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:50:38 am »
Just wondering about the value of these two items.  Obviously the bank would like me to have theirs with the mortgage which I did in the UK, but in the end I was over insured.  So my current situation is that I have both through the bank.  I can get life insurance through work for my family which is cheaper so I am going to do that probably.

Question is, is Critical Illness/Accident of any value?  Does it normally have so many exclusions to make it pretty worthless? Any watched the film Sicko showing what the people in these claims departments get up to to avoid paying out...

Looking at the small print, Cancer particulary skin cancer has many exclusions, plus heart attack and stroke.  BUt I imagine this is the same across many policies?  Anyone have any recommendations?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Life Insurance / Critical Illness
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:08:35 am »
  SMOKE DRINK & BE MERRY for tomorrow we................................. >:D...you're lookin' particulary wan today BOB...............................OCTOBERFESTIVUSITIS..... :drool: :fall: :flowers:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 10:25:08 am »
Mortgage insurance is a ripe off, cheaper just to get a term life insurance, besides once I am dead , I dont need any money :rofl2:
Critical Illness, who gambles that are going to get sick ::)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 10:28:16 am »
"ripe"...well he still ONLY has weekly BATHS..... ;)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 10:34:45 am »
Insurance on the mortgage is usually required if your down payment is less than 20%.   See Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp info.

Be careful that you're not worth more dead than alive to your family.  :)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 10:58:59 am »
Not a huge life insurance fan, and I have never taken out mortgage insurance (no longer have a mortgage). Did have some term insurance when I was younger and had some debts. Term is pure insurance, cheaper to buy and does the job it's intended for. The other "fancy" insurance plans are nothing more than investment schemes for insurance co and are always pricier. Individual circumstances will dictate what you need for coverage.

IMO, disability insurance is more important than life insurance; and I have always had some form of disability insurance thru work. I now longer have that coverage. With a younger person, the odds are greater that one would be disabled, rather than dead. The disability ins can be very useful to get one over a patch of bad luck.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Wolfe

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 02:45:28 pm »
:iagree: Disability insurance is often overlooked and underappreciated. The financial implications of becoming disabled and no longer able to work can be even more catastrophic to your family than if you were to die.

When evaluating insurance consider how much coverage you would need in order to meet your major financial obligations and how that will change over time. People often buy insufficient coverage but for longer time periods than they will need it.

Say, hypothetically, you are about 30 and have a young family, a big mortgage and some modest savings. Your obligations (mortgage, cost of kid's education etc.) are likely much greater than your assets and you would plan to pay those expenses out of your employment income. If, God forbid, you could no longer work due to death/disability or illness then you or your family will need to meet those expenses some other way. If that were to happen tomorrow then you'd need a very substantial insurance payout to cover things. Now jump ahead 20 years or so, your kids are now young adults (hopefully supporting themselves,) the mortgage is either paid off or getting fairly close to it and you're on track with your retirement savings, you really don't need that much insurance coverage anymore if any at all. Sadly lots of people buy insurance that won't payout enough in the short term if they should need it, but provides more coverage than they'll need later on (and of course they end up paying a lot for the longevity of that coverage.) It's a worst-of-both-worlds situation where you don't have enough coverage when you need it, but pay a lot more for it.

As Ovr50 said your individual circumstances will dictate what insurance coverage you might need. Before going out and actually shopping for a policy you should read up on the basics since shopping for insurance is a lot more complicated than shopping for a car.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 04:30:12 pm »
AB/Spock, I think you are misunderstanding, it's not mortgage insurance that's something different.

It is a benefit to me, as if I or my wife dies or either of us become disabled in any way then the insurance will instantly pay off the mortgage.

What I am really asking is that do the exclusions normally make it difficult to claim, and if so does anyone recommend an insurance company that has less exclusions than others?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 05:18:31 pm »

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 06:14:14 pm »
It is a benefit to me, as if I or my wife dies or either of us become disabled in any way then the insurance will instantly pay off the mortgage.
I have Life Insurance on my  mortgage but have been looking carefully into just getting a decent term plan instead.

When you get the insurance through your bank, apparently it is not real insurance.

When you die, they evaluate you to see if you were eligible for the insurance. You pay the premiums up front but can actually -- and supposedly this if a very common occurrence -- are denied coverage after your death.

Say you die of a heart attack. The bank then looks at your health records and says they wouldn't have covered you. You think the mortgage is paid off for your family, but it's not.

Also, you pay the same premium even as the value of the coverage is dropping. The quicker you pay down your mortgage, the more you are overpaying.

Here's a great video to watch: http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/02/06/in_denial

curls

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 06:37:12 pm »
Yup, mortgage insurance is a massive ripoff... term is way better on the rip-off-o-meter (but still registers on it!).

I'm actually meeting with our financial planner on Monday and expect to ask him the same questions, since I have numerous policies through mine and my wifes' workplace, as well as a junior life my parents had on me since I was a wee one as well.

Insurance is legalized gambling...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 06:50:28 pm »
Insurance is not a rip-off at all. It's just a matter of what you are willing to pay today to receive a larger sum either after your death (to your estate) or after an event that qualifies as a disabling event. You are paying the premium today to provide for either your future or your heirs future. If you don't like insurance (and I am not huge believer in it at this stage), then don't sign up. It's a "gamble" only in the sense you pay the premium and hope never to win. It buys peace of mind for some ppl and that is valuable (and the price is the premium).

Not a rip-off tho, any more than car insurance is a rip-off. Most ppl would not drive their car without insurance, so you pay the premium just IN CASE. The only difference is car insurance is required; life/disability insurance is optional.

curls

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 10:38:28 pm »
Mortgage insurance IS a ripoff because better insurance can be had that costs the same, or less, from the same companies usually!

Term insurance is a ripoff to a lesser degree because we all know just how filthy rich the insurers are, yet they jack their rates as much as possible and deny payments as much as possible, all in the name of greed.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 11:03:46 pm »
Mortgage insurance IS a ripoff because better insurance can be had that costs the same, or less, from the same companies usually!

Term insurance is a ripoff to a lesser degree because we all know just how filthy rich the insurers are, yet they jack their rates as much as possible and deny payments as much as possible, all in the name of greed.

Whatever you say, dude.  ::)

barrie1

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 12:31:18 am »
Is your company offering any form of Sick and Accident Insurance at all as thats what you would need in case of illness. Mortgage Insurance can be good to have as the home is supposively paid off if anything happens to you or your wife. Heaven forbid you ever need it but its better to have it and not need it then Not to have it and need it.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 07:32:16 am »
Oh...here's another insurance tidbit you might want to check into, Bob.  On your car insurance, if you get in an accident and can't work, it only pays out $400 week (IIRC) disability.  I found out the hard way. :(  I have since topped mine up to $1000/week.  The cost for this was minimal.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 07:51:56 am »
Oh...here's another insurance tidbit you might want to check into, Bob.  On your car insurance, if you get in an accident and can't work, it only pays out $400 week (IIRC) disability.  I found out the hard way. :(  I have since topped mine up to $1000/week.  The cost for this was minimal.

Car Insurance?

I think my company offers decent life insurance so I think I'll go with that, it's free for me, I just have to increase the amount on my wife.  On the Critical Illness/Accident front, I'm still no clearer really...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 07:57:01 am »

Car Insurance?

I think my company offers decent life insurance so I think I'll go with that, it's free for me, I just have to increase the amount on my wife.  On the Critical Illness/Accident front, I'm still no clearer really...

Yea..if you get in a car accident and can't work, your car insurance pays disability.  But it's only $400 wk.  Just thought I'd let you know, since most people don't know this...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 08:35:56 am »

WHy would you write that it is free ?
It would be part of your package and you would have work for it, nothing is free

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 09:20:55 am »
I thought that company provided LIFE insurance was a taxable benefit.
Bob your pay stub should show exactly what you get AND if anything is a taxable benefit.

The company I worked for  provided the below.  Deemed a good set of stuff but not solid gold plated
Life Insurance    1 x salary mandatory    could buy 2x or 3 x with no medical and more up to 6x IIRC with a medical exam
Medical extra stuff (semi  private room and so on)
Drug plan   80%  but no deductible
Dental   80% including some orthodontics ( 50% )
Disability both short term and long term
Full out of country medical    mandatory and free

The above were available for single or family plan. The disability was MANDATORY unless you proved to them that you were covered under another plan.

They also had group RRSP
Share purchase

But no pension plan at all.... the people who started the company didn't believe in pension plans

Mrs tpl who worked at a bank had all the same stuff  (plus a pension plan)except that my benefits ceased immediately when I retired and hers continue through retirement for both of us
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.