Author Topic: Sport compacts: be afraid, be very afraid.  (Read 7175 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Sport compacts: be afraid, be very afraid.
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 01:05:26 am »
I dont have a crystal ball but seeing the base 2009 Charger currently being offered for 25k cash I dont think GM will decide on the price being much different from the one south the border. And even if they do what dealers set it to is not really up to them but the market. Ppl will still be cautious with anything bigger than 4cyl for some time to come, but GM need sale numbers today. They invested in Camaro when gas was cheap and now want their money back. So my bet is they may start off at 30-ish and then a few month later, when all hard core enthusiasts get one it will be on par with Camry, as sad (for GM) as it may sound.
P.S. Can't wait to test drive 1  :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 01:07:26 am »
The gauges by the shifter are a bit off, but as you say, they have history (in another car?  ???).

Sorry, my bad, those gauges are from the original CAMARO, not the original Mustang.  Post is edited.

I like the original gauges much better.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 01:17:38 am »
Pedal caps need to go for sure. Still hard to believe for that price 1 can get RWD, manual, great exterior and 300HP. The itch is not getting better  ;) Victory red, mmmmm  :fall:

Mitlov

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 01:20:41 am »
Pedal caps need to go for sure. Still hard to believe for that price 1 can get RWD, manual, great exterior and 300HP. The itch is not getting better  ;) Victory red, mmmmm  :fall:

Leviathan

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 04:24:58 am »
 :love:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 05:58:07 pm »
:o That's a steal of a deal.  If they price it at $29 995 in Canada, I don't see how they would be able to keep them on the lot.  Only concern would be the fuel mileage versus other cars in its price range, like the GTI or Civic Si.  But it's got an extra hundred ponies... well worth it.

Mazdaspeed3: 18 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, 20 mpg combined.
Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI 6MT:  16 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, 19 mpg combined.  (same drivetrain as the base Camaro)
Lancer Ralliart: 17 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, 20 mpg combined.

Yeah, the Civic Si gets significantly better fuel economy than any, but for 139 lb-ft, it better.

maybe it's just me, but i really don't see many people cross shopping the a3, vw gti, mini cooper s, mazdaspeed 3 or civic si with the camero/mustang/challenger.  they are completely different types of people.  the camero, mustang or the challenger have a much different appeal.   also, i would love to see some real world numbers on all of these cars.  i just don't see the 3.6L cts getting anywhere close to the mazdaspeed, civic, mini, gti, a3 mileage.   my 3.2L v6 a4 isn't anywhere close to my 2.4L 4 cylinder tsx. 

We maybe in for a surprise. As Impala with 3.5L V6 and a slushy 4sp box gets 29 highway MPG, there should be nothing impossible for a manual 6 + a new gen engine to do just that if not better. Any idea when local dealers get it?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 06:12:23 pm »
The Camaro will have much shorter gearing than the Impala, despite the extra pair of cogs.

Also, aerodynamics. The Camaro does not look particularly so.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 06:26:34 pm »
The 3.6 liter (3564 cc) LLT is a direct injected version of the LY7. It was first unveiled in May 2006, and was claimed to have 15 per cent greater power, 8 per cent greater torque, and 3 per cent better fuel economy than its port-injected counterpart. It has a compression ratio of 11.4:1, and has been certified by the SAE to produce 302 horsepower (225 kW) at 6300 rpm and 272 lb·ft (369 N·m) of torque at 5200 rpm on regular unleaded (87 octane) gasoline. This engine debuted on the 2008 Cadillac STS and CTS.[1][2] GM will use a LLT in all 2009 Lambda-derived crossover SUVs to allow class-leading fuel economy in light of the new Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. In the Lambdas, LLT engine produces 286 horsepower (213 kW) and 255 lb·ft (346 N·m) of torque.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine

Not too shabby on paper tho  :)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 08:37:07 pm »
The Camaro will have much shorter gearing than the Impala, despite the extra pair of cogs.

Should have a nice tall final gear, though, so it'll probably get decent mileage on the highway.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 08:41:27 pm »
^^They said 19 city 27 highway (US MPG, so 12.3 and 8.7L/100km or so)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 10:04:05 pm »

Should have a nice tall final gear, though, so it'll probably get decent mileage on the highway.

You never know. I dunno how much effort it is to change the gear ratios in a mass production 6sp gearbox but it wouldn't be super surprising if they just took a plain vanilla 6sp and shortened the final ratio (so everything is shorter) instead of playing with 1-5 and leaving 6 tall.

Then again their vanilla 6sp should be properly geared for a performance car anyways... *shrug*

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 10:19:24 pm »
Actually....they would likely just change out the "pumpkin" in the rear differential to make it a different final drive.  That would be the easiest, most cost effective way.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 10:37:12 pm »
well at least this beast is going to have a manual.   what's up with the challenger?? 

You can get the Challenger R/T with a manual...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 11:17:14 pm »
The latest:

" GM begins taking orders for Chevrolet Camaro

Oshawa, Ontario - General Motors of Canada has announced that, beginning Thursday, October 16, 2008, dealers across the country will be able to submit customer orders for the new 2010 Camaro Coupe. Pricing will be released within the next few weeks.

“Even before pricing in Canada has been finalized, Camaro enthusiasts are anxious to get their orders on the books,” said Marc Comeau, vice president of sales, service and marketing. “The return of the Camaro and the buzz it has created are great reminders of the passion surrounding this marque, and we’re confident the new, fuel-efficient 2010 Camaro will make enthusiasts out of a whole new generation of drivers as well.”

GM said customers who order a vehicle early will be given priority. Orders can be placed through Chevrolet dealers, who will have information regarding early ordering, vehicle packaging and specifications; this information can also be found online at GM as of October 16.

Production is scheduled to begin in mid-February 2009 in Oshawa, Ontario, with dealership deliveries beginning immediately. The company has also announced a range of accessories, including 21-inch wheels, ground effects, stripe kits and a Hurst shifter that can be ordered and installed at the dealership.

There will also be a “Numbers-Matching” merchandising package available through Choko Motorsports, which will feature several unique Camaro items; details can be found at Camaro Boutique."

source: Canadian Driver

"Even before pricing in Canada has been finalized, Camaro enthusiasts are anxious to get their orders on the books"
-way to bargain, numbnuts  ::)

prail1

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008, 02:56:33 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 40% markup as is standard fare for most US to Canada price conversions.

That being said, if they priced the base at $29,999, it will certainly get people in showrooms, that's impressive numbers for that price point. Heck, I might even consider it!  8)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 04:14:49 pm »
Actually....they would likely just change out the "pumpkin" in the rear differential to make it a different final drive.  That would be the easiest, most cost effective way.

For sure.

I bet the rear end ratio on the V6 Camero will be barley above 3.00:1 in the auto at best.  Could very well be 2.79:1   EPA numbers will rule.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2008, 06:42:06 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 40% markup as is standard fare for most US to Canada price conversions.

That being said, if they priced the base at $29,999, it will certainly get people in showrooms, that's impressive numbers for that price point. Heck, I might even consider it!  8)

I'm guessing that's where it will be.  Maybe $32 500, but if they can offer it under $30k, I think it'll be next to impossible to keep it on the lots.  None of the competition offer anything close to this level of awesomeness at that price point.  Speed3 is great and all, but this is a purpose-built RWD sports car with 300 horses...  :drool:

I wonder if GM will do a four-door version?  Maybe the next Impala on the same platform?