Author Topic: Sport compacts: be afraid, be very afraid.  (Read 7182 times)

Mitlov

Sport compacts: be afraid, be very afraid.
« on: October 13, 2008, 11:44:59 am »
Pricing for the new Camaro, at least for the US market, has been released.  And it starts at US$22,995.  And that $23k will get you:

* 300 hp direct-injection V6
* six-speed manual
* independent rear suspension ("4.5 link," whatever that means)
* four-wheel disc brakes

And while it's no luxury car, it's not stripper either, a car where even someone with spartan tastes starts looking to check options boxes.  It has the following standard:
* air conditioning
* power windows
* a tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel
* cruise control (not standard on a Volvo C30, for the record)
* six airbags, including side curtains that cover both rows
* stability and traction control
* iPod jack for the stereo

That's a lot of car for US$23 grand, especially when you consider that it shares a platform with the very-capable Pontiac G8.  I mean, this car starts at the same price as a three-door GTI.  That's compelling.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/2010-ch...-995-ss-30-995/
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/pdf/2010+Camaro+Order.pdf

While I'm guessing that pricing will be higher in Canada, Chevy doesn't have a proportionately higher price increase than anybody else, and is more fair to Canada than many.  So I think there's a good chance that a 300hp Camaro will actually undercut the price of a base GTI in Canada.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Sport compacts: be afraid, be very afraid.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:15:51 pm »
23k  :o That may easily be the cheapest horse: 23000/300= $77! Very good timing after all as well - gas is way down, and is probably going to drop further. I only wonder if GM has already drawn the pricing plan for Canada or they are still going to with the new dollar in mind.
If I needed a car now Camaro would be the winner (on paper at least) hands down.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:22:09 pm »
Whoah that could be back on my list!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 12:35:16 pm »
I am sure it will be priced to undercut the GTI. I am sure it will outsell the GTI.
The rear suspensions looks as if it will do a great job although difficult to modify I'd think ( compared to the Mustang)

For me, that incredibly ugly interior means I would never consider one... I would not even go for a test drive.   Why they could not put a simple ( BMW like? VW like, even just take the CTS interior) console and dashboard in is their  decision and I am sure that the focus groups agree with it.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 02:07:51 pm »
 :o That's a steal of a deal.  If they price it at $29 995 in Canada, I don't see how they would be able to keep them on the lot.  Only concern would be the fuel mileage versus other cars in its price range, like the GTI or Civic Si.  But it's got an extra hundred ponies... well worth it.

I still like the Challenger better, but that's compelling pricing...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 03:00:06 pm »
Wow!....how much does this thing weigh?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 03:05:14 pm »
After thinking about this a bit I don’t see the LS being a real concern considering that most sport compacts are more practical with hatch options and are sedans. Young people these days want a fun and practical car while the camaro is just fun.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 03:23:56 pm »
After thinking about this a bit I don’t see the LS being a real concern considering that most sport compacts are more practical with hatch options and are sedans. Young people these days want a fun and practical car while the camaro is just fun.

I agree.  And the weight is somewhat high at 3800 or so.  Another big part about sport compacts has been cheap mod-ability.  While this car will certainly be able to be modded, I don't think it will be easy and cheap like the Cobalt SS or HHR SS or other sport compact.

Seems like a great deal for the $$ though.  FWIW I'm not fond of the interior either.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

SkiBunny

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 04:12:25 pm »
Isn't 300hp a bit too low to impress?  My mom's car has more! 

What about a Z28 or trans am version with extra power or the vet engine in it to blow away the imports.

Wonder how much the insurance will be  :o

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »
Isn't 300hp a bit too low to impress?  My mom's car has more! 

What about a Z28 or trans am version with extra power or the vet engine in it to blow away the imports.

Wonder how much the insurance will be  :o

::)

Camaro SS: 422hp/408tq.  6.2L LS3 V8.  Happy?

SkiBunny

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 04:22:45 pm »
yeah but i dont like the gas mileage  :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 08:44:31 pm »
Will be $$$$ in Canada, even for the base model.  No way a model will sit on the showroom floor for under $30K.  A "base" Challenger is about $33K. (the least expensive one available to buy...)

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 09:16:31 pm »
Wow, seems like a great deal to me (23K won't get you any new car here in Brazil  :'( :'( :'( )

Lets see what Ford puts on the new Stang to face the Camaro, they gonna have a heck of a trouble if they don't offer something similarly equipped and priced.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 09:16:46 pm »
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/multimedia/

I'd like mine with a chrome grille.  ;)

Mitlov

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 10:21:20 pm »
For me, that incredibly ugly interior means I would never consider one... I would not even go for a test drive.   Why they could not put a simple ( BMW like? VW like, even just take the CTS interior) console and dashboard in is their  decision and I am sure that the focus groups agree with it.

I don't get it?  Looks pretty simple to me.  Almost bland.  Really, the only unique styling detail I see are the four small gauges near the shifter, and that's an ode to the original [edit]Camaro[/edit].

For comparison:

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 11:31:13 pm by Mitlov »

Mitlov

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 10:27:57 pm »

I can't speak for Canada specifically, but for North America as a whole, I disagree.  Honda has no trouble moving Si coupes...indeed, they vastly outnumber Si sedans in my experience.  Chevy does the same with the Cobalt SS coupe, Cobalt SS sedan, and HHR SS.  Even setting aside that the coupe has been around for much longer...which do you think Chevy dealers sell the most of? 

Heck, my first car was a Civic coupe, and it served me just fine until I had a baby.  Four seats and two doors is all the practicality that most 16-25-year-old males need and want, in my experience.

Why are most sport compacts hatches and sedans?  Because sport compacts are based off of economy cars, and not many companies offer coupe economy cars anymore.  And nobody wants to design a unique body style JUST for their sport compact.  But considering the excitement about the rumored Toyota/Subaru RWD coupe and the Genesis coupe, and considering how well Honda and Chevy have done with their sport compact coupes,  and considering how well Scion has done with the tC, I have to say, coupes will have a loyal audience in the 16-25 male segment for a long time to come.  Come on...if Subaru offered a WRX 265 coupe, do you really think it would languish on dealer lots?

Mitlov

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 10:37:23 pm »
:o That's a steal of a deal.  If they price it at $29 995 in Canada, I don't see how they would be able to keep them on the lot.  Only concern would be the fuel mileage versus other cars in its price range, like the GTI or Civic Si.  But it's got an extra hundred ponies... well worth it.

Mazdaspeed3: 18 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, 20 mpg combined.
Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI 6MT:  16 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, 19 mpg combined.  (same drivetrain as the base Camaro)
Lancer Ralliart: 17 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, 20 mpg combined.

Yeah, the Civic Si gets significantly better fuel economy than any, but for 139 lb-ft, it better.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 11:20:18 pm »
:iagree: on all three counts.  I do like the Civic's interior better, but the Camaro's is perfectly acceptable.  The gauges by the shifter are a bit off, but as you say, they have history (in another car?  ???).  Fuel mileage is absolutely worth it for the performance offered.

As for coupes...  I'd say we're seeing something of a surge in popularity for them.  Altima coupe, Genesis coupe, Subaru/Toyota coupe...  bring them on!  :D

Mitlov

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 11:32:40 pm »
The gauges by the shifter are a bit off, but as you say, they have history (in another car?  ???).

Sorry, my bad, those gauges are from the original CAMARO, not the original Mustang.  Post is edited.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 12:21:14 am »
I just don't get nouveau-American-retro design language.

SO terrible (imho of course).
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!