Author Topic: 2010 Mazda3  (Read 110467 times)

dorin

Re: 2010 Mazda3
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2009, 01:15:19 pm »
Dorin I think you'll find traction and stability work fine with manual transmissions, just ask BMW, Lotus and Porsche. ;)

The only traction control I've experienced on with a manual transmission was a 2005 Mazda6 and that was terrible in the middle of winter.  It made driving on uncleared streets a real chore because the wheels would spin even a little and the damn thing would cut the engine thus making it impossible to build any momentum.  There was no turning it off either.

I could live with a system that can be turned off, but I'm not particularly happy at being forced to pay for it due to the options structure or having to add the extra step of always turning it off when starting the car in the winter.

dorin

« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2009, 01:24:05 pm »
but it's a FWD car... they all understeer in corners.. handbrake sort of solves the problem but not really.. ESC will actually make the car take the corner and prevent understeer..

You might be able to get ESP w/o traction control.. I know some Audis have this thing.. if you press the ESP button once.. the traction control disengages but the ESP itself is still on.. you need to hold the button to disengage the ESP..

All FWD cars understeer at the limit, but with ESP/ESC/DSC/etc. they understeer and bog down in pretty normal winter driving circumstances.  When there's snow on the road and I know the corner and there's no traffic near me I find that the best way to turn with a FWD car is to get to the point where it understeers noticeably, let off the gas momentarily to get the fronts to just turn (add a touch of handbrake if needed) and get the car to rotate then accelerate out while countersteering (fast, efficient and fun).  Stability control kills that by taking over the car just when you need to be in control the most.

I can live with stability control in non-winter situations (since I don't slide the car around on bare roads), but in the winter I need to have the car react predictably and not bog down on me at the slightest provocation.

dorin

« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2009, 01:26:33 pm »
The stability control/traction control can be disabled from the button on the dash.

Really?  Just one button?  No complicated sequence of key turning and/or pedal presses? 

It is one button on the left side of the steering wheel. That complicated sequence is usually needed on the cars that don't have the on/off button on the dash. I would also guess that the button disables both, ESP and TC.

On my Outlander, the ASC on/off button turns off both stability and traction control, which are integrated (they are also integrated with the 4WD system, but that remains active – there is a different knob to deal with the 4WD).

I recall seeing a power on/off button on the rearview mirror, so I guess you can turn off the auto dimming feature too.

If the button turns both the traction and stability control off with just one push (and there's no overly bright light on the dashboard) then it would be livable.

That's good about being able to turn off the auto-dimming rear-view mirror.  Those things are horrible horrible inventions.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2009, 02:46:37 pm »
but it's a FWD car... they all understeer in corners.. handbrake sort of solves the problem but not really.. ESC will actually make the car take the corner and prevent understeer..

You might be able to get ESP w/o traction control.. I know some Audis have this thing.. if you press the ESP button once.. the traction control disengages but the ESP itself is still on.. you need to hold the button to disengage the ESP..

All FWD cars understeer at the limit, but with ESP/ESC/DSC/etc. they understeer and bog down in pretty normal winter driving circumstances.  When there's snow on the road and I know the corner and there's no traffic near me I find that the best way to turn with a FWD car is to get to the point where it understeers noticeably, let off the gas momentarily to get the fronts to just turn (add a touch of handbrake if needed) and get the car to rotate then accelerate out while countersteering (fast, efficient and fun).  Stability control kills that by taking over the car just when you need to be in control the most.

I can live with stability control in non-winter situations (since I don't slide the car around on bare roads), but in the winter I need to have the car react predictably and not bog down on me at the slightest provocation.

Technically that would be "stunting" in Ontario if you are seen to be intentionally provoking the out of line movement of the car.

Now I DO agree that ESP is a pain when trying to get going in deep snow.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

locutusx

« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2009, 03:05:59 pm »
Let's talk about the 2010 Mazda3 again... :)

I was looking at the financing options for the car... wow! All the interest rates are so high. I was thinking of Financing on a 5-year term, and it's a 5.9% rate!

Is that normal because the car is brand-new? Is there any chance that this rate may come down anytime soon?

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2009, 03:12:44 pm »

I was looking at the financing options for the car... wow! All the interest rates are so high. I was thinking of Financing on a 5-year term, and it's a 5.9% rate!

Is that normal because the car is brand-new? Is there any chance that this rate may come down anytime soon?
Its brand new...AND...they still have lots of 2009's sitting around needing to be bought.  Its probably safe to say that more reasonable rates will come in 8 or 9 months time.  Thats been my experience...particularly watching Mazda as when I was originally setting out to buy a car the Mazda3 was on the top of my list.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2009, 03:44:10 pm »

:rofl2: you should of seen the rates in the early '80's it was like 19%
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 04:12:34 pm by airbalancer »

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2009, 03:52:22 pm »
Mazda tends to have low rates. They have to clear the '09s first, but this segment is ultra competitive and their bread and butter. I'd give it 4 months.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2009, 04:01:15 pm »
I'm not sure that super low financing and lease rates are going to be prevalent this year. In a year's time 5.9% may be downright cheap.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2009, 04:08:17 pm »

:rofl2: you should of send the rates in the early '80's it was like 19%

That was nearly 30 years ago AirB.   probably 1/2 the people on this forum were still in diapers then. :o
I remember RBC wanting 17.5% for a car loan in 1982... and that was after the peak which was 1981.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2009, 06:37:26 pm »
5.9% for 5 years is not bad, especially it is at the intro of a new vehicle.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2009, 08:19:31 pm »
I remember RBC wanting 17.5% for a car loan in 1982... and that was after the peak which was 1981.

TD Bank 30 day term deposits paid 15% in one of those years.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2009, 08:21:53 pm »
The stability control/traction control can be disabled from the button on the dash.

Really?  Just one button?  No complicated sequence of key turning and/or pedal presses? 

It is one button on the left side of the steering wheel. That complicated sequence is usually needed on the cars that don't have the on/off button on the dash. I would also guess that the button disables both, ESP and TC.

On my Outlander, the ASC on/off button turns off both stability and traction control, which are integrated (they are also integrated with the 4WD system, but that remains active – there is a different knob to deal with the 4WD).

I recall seeing a power on/off button on the rearview mirror, so I guess you can turn off the auto dimming feature too.

If the button turns both the traction and stability control off with just one push (and there's no overly bright light on the dashboard) then it would be livable.

That's good about being able to turn off the auto-dimming rear-view mirror.  Those things are horrible horrible inventions.

I think you'll have to live with a light on the IP as the default is DSC On; at least this is how, AFAIK, any other manufacturer does it and I don't think Mazda would be any different in this respect.

Not being able to turn off the stability/traction control from a switch on the dash is dumb and I wouldn't be happy at all myself about such a setup (potential deal breaker).

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2009, 08:46:43 pm »

IIRC Canada Savings bonds paid >15% in '81 for the first year.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2009, 08:49:43 pm »
Not being able to turn off the stability/traction control from a switch on the dash is dumb

It's a nanny world.  Becoming more so.  Enjoy.  :o

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2009, 08:52:15 pm »

IIRC Canada Savings bonds paid >15% in '81 for the first year.

Great times.

4 drafts in those 8 once glasses for a buck. Few rules. No crime.  Just had to end.  :rofl:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2009, 09:47:35 pm »
Not being able to turn off the stability/traction control from a switch on the dash is dumb

It's a nanny world.  Becoming more so.  Enjoy.  :o

As long as you can control the nannies, turn them on and off, it's fine.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:49:06 pm by carcrazy »

locutusx

« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2009, 10:02:18 pm »

Its brand new...AND...they still have lots of 2009's sitting around needing to be bought.  Its probably safe to say that more reasonable rates will come in 8 or 9 months time.  Thats been my experience...particularly watching Mazda as when I was originally setting out to buy a car the Mazda3 was on the top of my list.

So... let's say I really wanted to get the new Mazda3 in March, and didn't feel like waiting for rates to come down. I already have an unsecured line of credit from a bank at Prime, so it's 3.5% right now. If I had to choose between 5 year financing @ 5.9% or putting it on my 3.5% LoC (limit: 40k) which is a better option?

locutusx

« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2009, 10:03:00 pm »
I'm not sure that super low financing and lease rates are going to be prevalent this year. In a year's time 5.9% may be downright cheap.

But Prime is going down lower and lower. Shouldn't financing/lease rates be based on Prime? So shouldn't they keep going lower too?

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2009, 11:09:45 pm »

But Prime is going down lower and lower. Shouldn't financing/lease rates be based on Prime? So shouldn't they keep going lower too?

I'm wondering the same.  My current ride is 8.5 yrs old, and while I was planning on keeping it for 10 yrs, I'm within the 'car replacement window' and I'm hoping to take advantage of the downturn in auto sales (and hoping for low or no interest financing).   
Internal combustion thrust I trust