Author Topic: 2010 Mazda3  (Read 110503 times)

vdk

Re: 2010 Mazda3
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2008, 11:59:26 pm »
I have to ask.    Do economy cars ( Yes I KNOW it is a relatively luxurious economy car) really need about 50 buttons  6 rotating dials, 1 4 way joystick and of course the two regular stalks for the driver to use. The two stalks have rotating dials for lights one side and wipers the other as well.

Not as many as in a modern single seat jet fighter I suppose but then there are no weapons fitted to the Mazda.

Note that my GTI is nearly as bad... if it wasn't dark already I'd go and count.

and the GTI has some buttons that do absolutely nothing..

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2008, 08:05:55 am »
I have to ask.    Do economy cars ( Yes I KNOW it is a relatively luxurious economy car) really need about 50 buttons  6 rotating dials, 1 4 way joystick and of course the two regular stalks for the driver to use. The two stalks have rotating dials for lights one side and wipers the other as well.

Not as many as in a modern single seat jet fighter I suppose but then there are no weapons fitted to the Mazda.

Note that my GTI is nearly as bad... if it wasn't dark already I'd go and count.

and the GTI has some buttons that do absolutely nothing..

yes.  I suspect that a fully loaded EU version probably uses the spare button holes.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2008, 08:08:05 am »
The MS3 will be on my list too...

Have any details been given on this front (i.e. specs, release date)?

I wonder if they'll make it AWD (like the MS6 was) this time around to better compete w/ the WRX/Evo/R32?

Please Mazda, equip the MS3 with a DSG style transmission...

Please don't...

Just make it optional to keep everybody :)

When did you become a politician..? :rofl2:

Adding DSG ups the development costs for both models.

An increase in development costs?   Perhaps, but essentially infinitesimal.   

A VW Rabbit with an optional 6-speed auto is a $1400 option.  A GTI with an optional DSG is also a $1400 option. 

More and more makers are planning 'DSG style' transmissions as they essentially marry the benefits of an automatic and a manual. 

A MS3 with a manual tranny would not make my purchase short list as wifey does not drive manual.  A DSG MS3 would.   
the M3 now has a DSG instead of SMG I think... or maybe as well as SMG for 2009.

I dunno about a DSG in the M3 but the VW one does have a couple of ergonomic problems imo. Probably 'cos its biased towards people who are used to automatics rather than manual gearbox users... imo only

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2008, 08:41:04 pm »
BMWs iDrive is one solution. Newer renditions of iDrive are much simpler than the first ones back in 2003. My '08 is relatively easy to use, since most of what you need daily is accessible on the dash, not thru iDrive. You use iDrive for things you only change occasionally. With iDrive, there are far fewer knobs and buttons.
I've heard and read a bit about iDrive...usually in the derogatory but I assume that was the earlier models.  Does BMW have a demo flash video or something around.  I'm curious about it now.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2008, 10:41:38 pm »
BMWs iDrive is one solution. Newer renditions of iDrive are much simpler than the first ones back in 2003. My '08 is relatively easy to use, since most of what you need daily is accessible on the dash, not thru iDrive. You use iDrive for things you only change occasionally. With iDrive, there are far fewer knobs and buttons.
I've heard and read a bit about iDrive...usually in the derogatory but I assume that was the earlier models.  Does BMW have a demo flash video or something around.  I'm curious about it now.

Most auto mag journalists denegrate iDrive because they can't be bothered to take the time to understand it. Besides, they started off in 2003 disliking it, they can't be seen to change now!!

Not sure about flash vids, but likely, try searching it on Google or other sites. There has to be a ton of stuff about it by now.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2008, 12:26:12 pm »

Most auto mag journalists denegrate iDrive because they can't be bothered to take the time to understand it. Besides, they started off in 2003 disliking it, they can't be seen to change now!!

Not sure about flash vids, but likely, try searching it on Google or other sites. There has to be a ton of stuff about it by now.
Should have just done that :)

YouTube has a few...I get a sense its a bit like the XBox 360's older slide interface but using a knob instead of a stick...seems to look pretty good.  Obviously no good for the lower end of the econo cars like the Mazda3 or my Corolla but looks pretty good.  Eventually I guess everything will have something like that.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2008, 11:15:58 am »

I think most auto mag journalists denegrate the iDrive for being unduly complex, cumbersome and not the least bit intuitive.  These guys and gals drive a much broader range of vehilces at widely different price points than most of the on-line jockeys on these forums ever will.  They have a pretty good perspective on what works and what doesn't in the context of ergonomic controls. I can recall several accounts of how many different functions had to be undertaken through iDrive to perform a variety of very simple tasks, and just about laughed out loud. 

Perhaps BMW has improved the system (there seems to have been lots of room for improvement) but it is no answer to say that, well, if you take the time to learn how to use it, it works just fine.  The worst ergonomic train-wreck of a control system you can conceive will become easier with practice and familiarity.  Those that are well designed, however, don't require hours with a manual and extended head-scratching sessions while sitting in your own driveway just to get the basics down.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2008, 11:39:32 am »

Well said.
The same people that :censor: about multiple buttons :censor: about iDrive type systems. If you want to be able to have personal programmable functions in a car you have a choice to go with numerous buttons or a menu based system. And like Ovr says, most personal settings are done once.

Keski

« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2008, 02:37:16 pm »

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »
The new look Mazda 3 (lets avoid the M3 designation, it confuses me cause I keep thinking bmw) looks like a Peugeot 308 and 407. It's that smiling grill and the fog lights it's pretty darn similar.

http://images.paultan.org/images/Peugeot_308_GT_THP_175_5_Large.jpg

locutusx

« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2008, 04:57:54 pm »
When would Mazda dealers typically start to get "tester" models of these for customers to try out? Late-Feb, early March?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2009, 07:35:16 pm »
2010 Mazda3 will be in (some) dealerships for a quick preview. I'll try to go and have a pick at it next week (weekend). If you are interested, check with your local dealer. The Service Maanger at my dealership said that he'll have it for a week or so.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2009, 09:01:01 am »
2010 Mazda3 will be in (some) dealerships for a quick preview. I'll try to go and have a pick at it next week (weekend). If you are interested, check with your local dealer. The Service Maanger at my dealership said that he'll have it for a week or so.

I see you are also in the GTA....which dealer(s) is this? I really want to see one of these as it might be my next car.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2009, 10:00:44 am »

I see you are also in the GTA....which dealer(s) is this? I really want to see one of these as it might be my next car.

Avante.

Leviathan

« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2009, 03:59:33 pm »
Edmunds has a full test here.

Greg B.

« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2009, 06:48:33 am »

Wow, that's quite the puff piece, even for Edmunds.  ::)

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2009, 08:44:23 am »

Edmunds test reveals The Mazda 3 requires 127 feet to come to a stop from 60 mph
MotorTrends test reveals Braking, 60-0 mph  123 ft 
Same trim level was tested Grand Touring Sedan

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2009, 09:12:27 am »

Edmunds test reveals The Mazda 3 requires 127 feet to come to a stop from 60 mph
MotorTrends test reveals Braking, 60-0 mph  123 ft 
Same trim level was tested Grand Touring Sedan

I'm thinking it was because of the conditions. I noticed they mentioned that it was very chilly and need to crank the seat heaters up to max level to be comfy. This would account for the extra stopping distance IMO. Of course, there is nothing in the article (that I saw) that states the condition of their test which is important information.

Now that article really didn't speak very highly of the new Mz3 as it doesn't improve on much for the average person. Interesting.

vdk

« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2009, 11:46:13 am »
4 feet doesn't really mean anything.. could be due to the weight of the driver.. ;D

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2009, 01:22:13 pm »
4 feet doesn't really mean anything.. could be due to the weight of the driver.. ;D
Well its worth an insult from Edmunds "But when it came time for the Mazda's four-wheel discs to shine, they didn't. The Mazda 3 requires 127 feet to come to a stop from 60 mph, and we've tested a 2009 Corolla with rear drums that needed only 125 feet to complete the same task. "