Author Topic: 2010 Mazda3  (Read 110427 times)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Mazda3
« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2009, 01:02:36 am »
Personally, I don't think buying a car using LoC is a good idea, regardless of interest rate. LoC are like minimum voluntary payments, takes forever to pay down for most people, and the interest could and will go up in the future. At least with fixed interest rates and a fixed term, the debt will be pay out on time with a known interest cost.

Buying a 1st model year car has some risk factors as well.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2009, 06:45:24 am »
The only traction control I've experienced on with a manual transmission was a 2005 Mazda6 and that was terrible in the middle of winter.  It made driving on uncleared streets a real chore because the wheels would spin even a little and the damn thing would cut the engine thus making it impossible to build any momentum.  There was no turning it off either.

There was no turning it off either.

That is strange because in my 2005 Mazda6 I can turn it off completely.

Did this car have winter tires on it? The only time my TC comes on is when I'm in that nasty slush/ice (same time ABS would come on also). Otherwise, on snow/wet roads I can create tire spin all the way through first/second gears if I want to.

Then again it could be my superior driving skills.  :rofl2:

Once the cars start showing up at the dealers somebody can find out. BTW, when are the cars going to be at the dealers?

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2009, 07:54:28 am »
In our 2006 MPV we can turn it off also.   I wish the 5 had TC some days (INCLUDING the off button)!
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2009, 09:18:32 pm »
The only traction control I've experienced on with a manual transmission was a 2005 Mazda6 and that was terrible in the middle of winter.  It made driving on uncleared streets a real chore because the wheels would spin even a little and the damn thing would cut the engine thus making it impossible to build any momentum.  There was no turning it off either.

There was no turning it off either.

That is strange because in my 2005 Mazda6 I can turn it off completely.

Did this car have winter tires on it? The only time my TC comes on is when I'm in that nasty slush/ice (same time ABS would come on also). Otherwise, on snow/wet roads I can create tire spin all the way through first/second gears if I want to.

Huh here too.
On both my mazda6 and the RX-8 there is a TC button near the left coin holder next to the dimming switch.
And the TC can be turned off and on (you might have to hold it for a few seconds)

I know I turned it off before (on the Mazda6) because I was stuck in an uncleared alleyway (A/S tires on)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2009, 11:59:30 pm »
Let's talk about the 2010 Mazda3 again... :)

I was looking at the financing options for the car... wow! All the interest rates are so high. I was thinking of Financing on a 5-year term, and it's a 5.9% rate!

Is that normal because the car is brand-new? Is there any chance that this rate may come down anytime soon?
Its brand new...AND...they still have lots of 2009's sitting around needing to be bought.  Its probably safe to say that more reasonable rates will come in 8 or 9 months time.  Thats been my experience...particularly watching Mazda as when I was originally setting out to buy a car the Mazda3 was on the top of my list.

So... let's say I really wanted to get the new Mazda3 in March, and didn't feel like waiting for rates to come down. I already have an unsecured line of credit from a bank at Prime, so it's 3.5% right now. If I had to choose between 5 year financing @ 5.9% or putting it on my 3.5% LoC (limit: 40k) which is a better option?
Don't know the answer to that one.  Sorry! Personally I'd just wait it out...good deals are likely to come along sometime.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2009, 07:12:27 am »
Surely the lower rate is the best option. Personally I'd wait, the rates will be lower by summer.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2009, 10:07:31 pm »
Since I was driving by a Mazda dealer (Gyro on Laird) today I thought I would check and see if the 2010 is in yet. This reminded me why some people really don't like buying cars.

I let the first salesperson approach me and I say I'm curious if the new 2010 Mazda3 is in yet. They say no but motions me towards the back of the show room. I'm thinking he might have a brochure or more information not on the net and follow. He breaks out some printouts which have all the same information from the website. Models, options, prices....nothing new. He goes on like I'm going to buy this car right now and starts talking price, colours and options.

I tell him to just give me a call when they come in (which will be next week according to him) and I'll drop by. He get the calendar out and says, lets book a test drive. I say, well I'm a very busy person and I'm not in the city for the next 2-3 weekends so its best if you just leave me a msg on my cell and I'll drop in when I have some free time. Then he asks for my office number, I tell him again to just call my cell. Then he asks my email address, I say the same thing...call my cell. I guess I wasn't being very clear.  ::)

During all of his he explains some things to me.

Admin fee was $610. Yep, no lie. I told him that is too much but he tells me its a great deal and it includes wheel locks, full tank of gas, ownership and WASHING THE CAR before you get it. I almost fell off the chair from trying to not laugh. I explained to him that I don't need wheel locks and I won't pay that....then realize, why the hell am I arguing over a admin fee when I'm not even buy a car today.

Another one, Stability Control. Did you know it helps you drive on any road. So when you are going at normal speeds or even under the limit (ie: you have plenty of traction and control) this amazing device helps you get through the corners. So I said I thought it was for when you drove out of control and beyond the limits of the car....nope, it helps you for everything. Ok, I'll split this one with him as maybe he is just over simplifying it but still.

He also showed me the extra fee for etching (they had a another name for it) that was only $400. So before even dealing, seeing the car or even say that I wanted to buy one he has already added an extra $1010 worth of fees!

Another thing, he basically told me I wanted the GS. I guess I should be happy he didn't even try to up-sell the GT model to me.

Oh ya, this one was the best. Did you know that the engine in this car was made special for Canada and its winter climate. NO :censor:! I had to ask him to repeat this to me 3 times because I really thought I was misunderstanding him. So I asked him, isn't this the exact same engine in the Mazda6....nope, its made for the Mazda3.

I think I might just hit the auto show to see everything this year and then go to the dealers after I make my short list. I was going to head over to see the Elantra Wagon but after that I was exhausted and needed to go home.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2009, 10:43:48 pm »
Sounds like that Mazda_sales_guy really knows his product.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2009, 11:04:29 pm »
  zoom zoom to the moon Alice......guess the new car honeymoon is ov'r..... ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2009, 01:29:50 am »
I think I might just hit the auto show to see everything this year and then go to the dealers after I make my short list. I was going to head over to see the Elantra Wagon but after that I was exhausted and needed to go home.

Best way to get a close look at cars, especially cars I have no chance of buying. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2009, 07:48:36 am »
Since I was driving by a Mazda dealer (Gyro on Laird) today I thought I would check and see if the 2010 is in yet. This reminded me why some people really don't like buying cars.

I let the first salesperson approach me and I say I'm curious if the new 2010 Mazda3 is in yet. They say no but motions me towards the back of the show room. I'm thinking he might have a brochure or more information not on the net and follow. He breaks out some printouts which have all the same information from the website. Models, options, prices....nothing new. He goes on like I'm going to buy this car right now and starts talking price, colours and options.

I tell him to just give me a call when they come in (which will be next week according to him) and I'll drop by. He get the calendar out and says, lets book a test drive. I say, well I'm a very busy person and I'm not in the city for the next 2-3 weekends so its best if you just leave me a msg on my cell and I'll drop in when I have some free time. Then he asks for my office number, I tell him again to just call my cell. Then he asks my email address, I say the same thing...call my cell. I guess I wasn't being very clear.  ::)

During all of his he explains some things to me.

Admin fee was $610. Yep, no lie. I told him that is too much but he tells me its a great deal and it includes wheel locks, full tank of gas, ownership and WASHING THE CAR before you get it. I almost fell off the chair from trying to not laugh. I explained to him that I don't need wheel locks and I won't pay that....then realize, why the hell am I arguing over a admin fee when I'm not even buy a car today.

Another one, Stability Control. Did you know it helps you drive on any road. So when you are going at normal speeds or even under the limit (ie: you have plenty of traction and control) this amazing device helps you get through the corners. So I said I thought it was for when you drove out of control and beyond the limits of the car....nope, it helps you for everything. Ok, I'll split this one with him as maybe he is just over simplifying it but still.

He also showed me the extra fee for etching (they had a another name for it) that was only $400. So before even dealing, seeing the car or even say that I wanted to buy one he has already added an extra $1010 worth of fees!

Another thing, he basically told me I wanted the GS. I guess I should be happy he didn't even try to up-sell the GT model to me.

Oh ya, this one was the best. Did you know that the engine in this car was made special for Canada and its winter climate. NO :censor:! I had to ask him to repeat this to me 3 times because I really thought I was misunderstanding him. So I asked him, isn't this the exact same engine in the Mazda6....nope, its made for the Mazda3.

C'mon - give the guy a break. You were likely the only customer he has seen in weeks and he had all of this pent up knowledge that he just had to share! ;D :rofl2:

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2009, 08:46:20 am »
Quadzilla's experience is the stuff that keeps me out of the showrooms as well.

Rrocket and I checked out the Detroit show on Friday - save yourself some coin and pick up the current Mazda3.

It's the identical suspension (according to MotorTrend), and we both found the new one to be nowhere near as good-lookin' "in the metal".

locutusx

« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2009, 03:22:41 pm »

Rrocket and I checked out the Detroit show on Friday - save yourself some coin and pick up the current Mazda3.

It's the identical suspension (according to MotorTrend), and we both found the new one to be nowhere near as good-lookin' "in the metal".

Not surprised the salesperson was as desperate as a beggar in the slums of Calcutta. He's possibly going to be laid off in a few weeks, apparently sales are that bad. Did you know that "Mississauga Mazda" has closed down recently? First Acura North Toronto, now these guys... and they're not even a luxury brand so it was a bit baffling.

I am looking forward to some of the feature/interior improvements in the upcoming Mazda3, and by all accounts (Edmunds, Motor Trend) the 2.5L engine is a far sight better than the underpowered 2.3L engine in the outgoing model. There are certain features I want in my next car, and very few of the "compact/economy" cars in Canada have them.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2009, 05:30:27 pm »

Take any pics?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2009, 05:43:22 pm »

As wife may be interested in a new Mazda3GT Sport, could either of TopGun and/or Rrocket elaborate a bit on why you think the current model is better looking? We may do a deal early if that were really the case, and I realize looks are subjective. Likely get a better deal on the current Mz3.

However, I also want to look at a VW Rabbit/Golf and I know a new one of those is in the pipeline as well.  ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Leviathan

« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2009, 05:44:45 pm »
by all accounts (Edmunds, Motor Trend) the 2.5L engine is a far sight better than the underpowered 2.3L engine in the outgoing model.
Underpowered?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2009, 06:01:12 pm »
As wife may be interested in a new Mazda3GT Sport, could either of TopGun and/or Rrocket elaborate a bit on why you think the current model is better looking? We may do a deal early if that were really the case, and I realize looks are subjective. Likely get a better deal on the current Mz3.

However, I also want to look at a VW Rabbit/Golf and I know a new one of those is in the pipeline as well.  ???

I believe the most dislike is coming from the front view with its 'smiling face' look. Otherwise, I don't think it is offensive in any other way. Of course, I could (for the most part) care less what the front of the car looks like. Then again, I liked the '02 bug eyes WRX's so what do I know.  ;D

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2009, 06:26:45 pm »
by all accounts (Edmunds, Motor Trend) the 2.5L engine is a far sight better than the underpowered 2.3L engine in the outgoing model.
Underpowered?

Yes i was wondering this to. The 2 liter base engine was even peppy.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

locutusx

« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2009, 10:28:46 pm »
Underpowered?

well true it's a beast compared to the itty bitty 1.7L engine in my EL, but apparently the power-to-weight ratio of the 2.3L Mazda3 was almost identical to the 2.0L Mazda3. In contrast, the new 2.5L engine is *lighter* than the outgoing 2.3L engine so you can bet the power-to-weight ratio of the 2010 w/2.5 > 2010 w/2.0

And I did see in a couple of reviews, journos mentioning that the 2.3L wasn't really a big improvement from the 2.0L and probably not really worth it. I can't see them saying that for the 2.5L engine since it's pulled from the Mz3's BIG brother.
well, the torque rating speaks for itself.

locutusx

« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2009, 11:03:05 pm »
BTW let me just throw out, that the 2 features I need to have on my next car are factory-installed full Bluetooth support, and Traction Control. Outgoing Mz3 doesn't have either, current-gen Honda Civic doesn't have Bluetooth, but has TC in the EX-L. CSX probably has both but I'm not interested in another EL. If anyone knows of something that might fit my bill other than the 2010 Mazda3 feel free to suggest :)