Author Topic: Advice Needed: Hit by a Bike while Parking  (Read 2376 times)

rami007

Advice Needed: Hit by a Bike while Parking
« on: September 27, 2008, 02:16:48 pm »
Hi,

Here is the situation:

I have legally parked my car in the side of one street in Montreal and left. When I came back I noticed that the windshield glass of the non-driver side is badly damaged. A note was placed from a bike rider mentioning that he was forced to land on my windshield as an attempt to avoid a collision with a truck and he left me his phone number. I called him and thanks God he is in a good shape with no injury. He asked me to claim the cost to fix the windshield through my insurance. I was not sure about that as my insurance is only for the civil Liability and it doesn't include the loss or damaged to the insured automobile. He mentioned it might be OK as it is not my fault. I promised him to ask my insurance and let him know. Now I have to wait till Monday when  my insurance adviser will be able to answer my inquiry. I doubt that they can do anything for me about it.

I really don't know what to do? First, should I get a police report for the incident? Is it really my insurance company which should be looking into this? If it is possible and if I do a claim through my insurance company, will this affect my future insurance quotes? Is there any insurance that cover the bike riders that I should be referred to? Or is it the fully responsibility of the Bike rider who kindly left me his number? I really appreciate that from him as I know he could have left easily the incident place without me knowing anything about him.

CanadianDrivers, What do you think is the best action to do in this case?

Your input is really appreciated....

Many Thanks
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 02:22:01 pm by rami007 »

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Needed: Hit by a Bike while Parking
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 02:33:18 pm »
What is the cost of damage?  Is it more or less than your deductible? 

Does the cyclist have liability insurance?   You could claim through your insurance and then your insurance can try to recover from the cyclist's insurance company.   It shouldn't hurt your insurance if you weren't deemed at fault. 

rami007

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 03:12:56 pm »
I don't know yet the cost.  It might be about $500-$700. it is just my uneducated guess.  But  as I said, I only have the Civil Liability insurance part and not the part that includes the damage to my insured car and therefore no deductible is mentioned in my contract.

I don't know what kind of insurance should the cyclist have? Will his auto-insurance cover this? He was on his bike and not in his car when he did the incident.

Also, the reason I am worried about doing the claim through my insurance is because my brother's story. He had three claims in his file. Two of which where not deemed at his fault. At the end of the year, the insurance company raised his premium and explained that because of the three claims. He mentioned to them that two of them is not his fault but they said it doesn't matter. He tried to switch to a different company, but some even rejected his request because he had three claims in the past.

Thanks

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 04:06:52 pm by rami007 »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 04:33:58 pm »
Windshield = ~ $300

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 04:42:01 pm »
If you were in BC, I'm pretty sure it would be repaired at zero cost to you. Not even a deductible.

In Quebec, I have no idea..... ??? ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

rami007

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 05:11:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies....

ovr50, Just for my knowledge, in BC, who will be paying the cost though?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 05:14:49 pm »
rami.    You are insured in Quebec?     And you just have the basic civil liability. Is that not provided by the PQ government?  IF so why would an insurance company be involved 'cos from what you say, you don't have a private ( damage to vehicle) policy

Or am I way out of date about Insurance in PQ
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 05:30:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies....

ovr50, Just for my knowledge, in BC, who will be paying the cost though?

As I understand it, if a vehicle is not in motion, and is struck by something (or in this case, someone) and damaged, the repairs are done under the comprehensive area of insurance, no fault of the insured, and no deductible would be applied. Clearly, there would not be any surcharge on the insured's premium later.

For other BC residents, if I am wrong, please say so.

rami007

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 07:44:17 pm »
Hi,

Hopefully this is the case also in Quebec...

Can anyone confirm whether this is also the case in Quebec or not?

Thanks

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »
It has been a while since I lived in Quebec.  Every Quebecer is covered for bodily injuries from road accidents by a public insurance plan that is paid for by car license and registration fees.   Owners of motor vehicles are also required to have liability insurance for property damage to others.  You'll need to read your policy and see if you are covered for damages done to your vehicle by others.  Or do you have just coverage to damage you do to other's property?

There may be more info on the SAAQ website or your insurer's website.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.php

barrie1

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 10:45:30 pm »
I agree with the price being around $300. and it should be covered on the insurance policy of the owner of the car. I have had rocks damage a windsheild beyond repair a few times and had to replace it. I paid the $50.00 deductable and it was done in my shop here at home actually the last time. I would strongly suspect the same  in Quebec as is in Ont the same as probably all of Canada.  :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:00:52 pm by barrie1 »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 11:21:51 pm »
My 2 cents, from the policy you describe, is the cost of the glass is between you and the cyclist if the offending motorist is unknown.