Author Topic: Insurance question - Am I in big trouble for this?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Lexus ES350
Insurance question - Am I in big trouble for this?
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:39:08 pm »
Less than a month ago, I was involved in a collision with a street sign pole and I knocked it down. No one was injured and no cars were hit other than mine. I called the cops and firefighters (liquid leaking out from underneath) to put soil on it. I was so freaked out. Anyways, the cop wrote down a report and he has my name, address,  etc. I asked him if I have to claim it through my insurance (I got one way) and he shook his head. He did give me the claim number and told me to keep it just incase

I still feel bad that I caused city property damage and I'm not claiming it through my insurance. It was my fault and I am officially "at fault" for hitting it, so I get jack all anyways and my rates go up. I want a second opinion since people are telling me two things now. Who pays for that sign? Will they send me a bill for it or am I looking at worse problems? Or will the taxpayers unfortunately pay for this?

Keep in mind this is in Quebec by the way.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance question - Am I in big trouble for this?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:52:27 pm »
Ask insurance company?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:58:40 pm »
Ask insurance company?

but don't give them your name!!!

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 09:06:00 pm »
Less than a month ago, I was involved in a collision with a street sign pole and I knocked it down. No one was injured and no cars were hit other than mine. I called the cops and firefighters (liquid leaking out from underneath) to put soil on it. I was so freaked out. Anyways, the cop wrote down a report and he has my name, address,  etc. I asked him if I have to claim it through my insurance (I got one way) and he shook his head. He did give me the claim number and told me to keep it just incase

I still feel bad that I caused city property damage and I'm not claiming it through my insurance. It was my fault and I am officially "at fault" for hitting it, so I get jack all anyways and my rates go up. I want a second opinion since people are telling me two things now. Who pays for that sign? Will they send me a bill for it or am I looking at worse problems? Or will the taxpayers unfortunately pay for this?

Keep in mind this is in Quebec by the way.

I don't understand. Why make a "claim" you aren't claiming anything. I admit I don't know Quebec but I don't know any province that rquires you to file a claim if you don't want to. You reported the accident the police got the information they know who did it. You've done your duty.

I mean if you back into a pole dent your car and then decide to fix it yourself you don't need to cvall your insurance company. I can tell you what I'd do now that you've reported it to police. Nothing.

What could happen?
1. The city sees the police report and sends you a bill.  Then you
A. Pay it yourself
or
B If its considerably more than your deductible file a claim with your insurance company let them pay it and risk your rates rising (depends on the insurance Co. Mine gives you a freebie if you've been accident free with them for a number of years)
2. The city doesn't bother to look at the police report and fixes it themselves with either their insurance company paying or out fo their own maintenance fund (meaning taxperys pay)

If you really feel that bad why not call the city works dept and offer to pay for the sign?

Like I said if it were me I'd do nothing. and try not to hit any more signs

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:53:59 pm »
I think taking out stop and yield signs is a late-night hobby for the drivers up here. I doubt 99% of them are even honest enough to call the police and fess up to it.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 12:15:21 am »
Was it an English sign in Westmount?   

The city will most likely send you a bill if they want you to pay for the replacement. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 12:56:40 am »

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 01:04:04 am »
I begin to like Quebec. In T.O. some in your situation would be looking for a lawyer to sue the city for placing a sing in the wrong place with no caution tape around it.  ::) 
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 02:20:19 am »
Okay, this guy hit a street sign pole and there is fluid leaking from under his car?  Whats wrong with this picture?  IMHO he must have been roaring down the road, lost control of his vehicle, took out a street light pole, and made his car inoperable.   ;)

curls

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 08:56:30 am »
Okay, this guy hit a street sign pole and there is fluid leaking from under his car?  Whats wrong with this picture?  IMHO he must have been roaring down the road, lost control of his vehicle, took out a street light pole, and made his car inoperable.   ;)

Some what-if's:

- emergency swerve to avoid animal in wet weather?
- fluid was washer fluid? - those containers are close to the bumper skin and are usually easy to puncture/crack
- car wasn't inoperable - just dripping fluid, but he felt bad and wanted to report it anyhow instead of making it a hit-n-run?

I'm not trying to defend what he did or how he did it... I'm trying to shed some light on your very close-minded thoughts on this.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1219
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 10:05:00 am »
MD, you will get a bill for the street sign. You are of course not forced to declare it to your insurance but then you will have to pay it out of your pocket.

Many years ago I lost control of my Volvo 850 and damaged a barrier. A few months after the accident I got a bill for the damage which they did not fix btw. It was $400-$500 If I remember well. The insurance covered it.

Don't panic however, a street sign can't be more than $100.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Lexus ES350
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 08:58:14 pm »

Some what-if's:

- emergency swerve to avoid animal in wet weather?
- fluid was washer fluid? - those containers are close to the bumper skin and are usually easy to puncture/crack
- car wasn't inoperable - just dripping fluid, but he felt bad and wanted to report it anyhow instead of making it a hit-n-run?

I'm not trying to defend what he did or how he did it... I'm trying to shed some light on your very close-minded thoughts on this.

It was none of that and I am ashamed to admit it so I will keep it hush hush. But do know this, I was NOT driving like a jackass. I drive well, but crap happens to everyone. :(

MD, you will get a bill for the street sign. You are of course not forced to declare it to your insurance but then you will have to pay it out of your pocket.

Many years ago I lost control of my Volvo 850 and damaged a barrier. A few months after the accident I got a bill for the damage which they did not fix btw. It was $400-$500 If I remember well. The insurance covered it.

Don't panic however, a street sign can't be more than $100.

Well, bill is okay. I destroyed it and I will pay it.