Author Topic: Speeding tickets in QC  (Read 10268 times)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Speeding tickets in QC
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 08:21:35 pm »
Don't speed in Quebec if you have Ontario plates.  I almost got caught one time driving back from Quebec City.  I felt weird and slowed down.   Another car blew past me because I was driving at the speed limit.  Lo and behold a speed trap.  A Surete car whipped past me out of side of the road and went chasing after him.   :)

Have you entered a plead on your Quebec ticket? 

von_khan

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 08:48:30 pm »
You didn't have to consent to him searching your car.  If he pulled you over for a driving infraction (random stop) that's where it begins and ends.  They have to have a good reason to search your car.  You can say no.

Ditto with his line of questioning.  He CAN ask to see ID, check the mechanical condition of your car, check your insurance, ask if you've been drinking.  That's about all he can ask unless someone specifically said they thought they saw weapons in your car.

Your Charter of Rights were violated my friend...

Thank you, tell that to facking a$$holes like unctuous.

He pulled me over from the right lane where I was just coming home to TO on cruise control for no reason. I'd like to think otherwise but maybe it was the bm and my person that looked 'suspicious'.

TPL is right, we arent in Afghanistan. I can understand questions about weapons money and drugs.. but implying that I'm a terrorist because of my background even in jest as a law enforcement officer is downright moronic and unprofessional.

What a crappy weekend..

von_khan

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 08:49:55 pm »
Don't speed in Quebec if you have Ontario plates.  I almost got caught one time driving back from Quebec City.  I felt weird and slowed down.   Another car blew past me because I was driving at the speed limit.  Lo and behold a speed trap.  A Surete car whipped past me out of side of the road and went chasing after him.   :)

Have you entered a plead on your Quebec ticket? 

Well the only thing I can do is put in a not guilty via mail and wait for them to send me a court date. I suppose I should find a paralegal agency in QC. Ideas anyone?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 09:02:22 pm »
You didn't have to consent to him searching your car.  If he pulled you over for a driving infraction (random stop) that's where it begins and ends.  They have to have a good reason to search your car.  You can say no.

Ditto with his line of questioning.  He CAN ask to see ID, check the mechanical condition of your car, check your insurance, ask if you've been drinking.  That's about all he can ask unless someone specifically said they thought they saw weapons in your car.

Your Charter of Rights were violated my friend...

Thank you, tell that to facking a$$holes like unctuous.

He pulled me over from the right lane where I was just coming home to TO on cruise control for no reason. I'd like to think otherwise but maybe it was the bm and my person that looked 'suspicious'.

TPL is right, we arent in Afghanistan. I can understand questions about weapons money and drugs.. but implying that I'm a terrorist because of my background even in jest as a law enforcement officer is downright moronic and unprofessional.

What a crappy weekend..

Don't misunderstand...they DO have the right to pull you over for NO REASON.  The first thing I always say is "Have I done something wrong, officer?".  They usually just say random stop.  As soon as they've said that, they are very limited in what they can ask.

So to sum up:  They CAN pull you over for NO REASON.  This is a random stop.  They are allowed to: Check your license, check your ownership, check your insurance, check mechanical fitness of the car, check for impaired driving.  Any questions beyond those pertaining to the stop might be regarded as a violation of your rights.

From the Supreme Court decision: The primary aim of check stop programs, which result in the arbitrary detention of motorists, is to check for sobriety, licences, ownership, insurance and the mechanical fitness of cars.  The police use of check stops should not be extended beyond these aims.  Random stop programs must not be turned into a means of either conducting an unfounded general inquisition or an unreasonable search.[/i]

Officers can stop persons only for legal reasons -- in this case reasons related to driving a car such as checking the driver's licence and insurance, the sobriety of the driver and the mechanical fitness of the vehicle.  Once stopped the only questions that may justifiably be asked are those related to driving offences.  Any further, more intrusive procedures could only be undertaken based upon reasonable and probable grounds.  Where a stop is found to be unlawful, the evidence from the stop could well be excluded under s. 24(2) of the Charter.

I now keep a copy of 2 different Supreme Court rulings in my Supra along with a little flip pad and pen, in case I need to jot down badge numbers and make notes.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:10:45 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

dorin

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 09:07:34 pm »
. One of his questions was whether I have any bombs or rocket launchers on board. Not exactly a professional thing to ask (given my ethnic background). >:( >:( >:(

So you should get special treatment because of your "ethnic background"?  I've got news for you,  the cops ask everyone that question. 

Racist jerk!    :stfu:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 09:14:49 pm »
Here is some info on contesting a ticket in Quebec:

http://www.educaloi.qc.ca/loi/automobilistes/269/

If you prefer to read it in English:

http://www.educaloi.qc.ca/en/loi/drivers/269/

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 09:30:46 pm »
We have had this discussion before.  A thread about a guy who was stopped  for no good reason  ( aka the OPP officers sphincter was itching) in N. Ont IIRC and for no good reason his car was searched and drugs were found.

I am unhappy about random stops in general, IMHO the Supremes should not allow them  except in war time or similar.......... but if they are allowed then I have no problem with the "reasonable and probable grounds" for a search further.     I am not going to go search for the previous thread

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

vdk

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 09:34:55 pm »
That's about all he can ask unless someone specifically said they thought they saw weapons in your car.

he can make that up himself... i had cops looking thru my car in parking lots, i just open the doors, turn on the interior lights and let them get over with it... plus i don't mind my car's always clean and smelling nice :D
 it's an age thing... they won't do that to a 30+ yr old guy...

Yea?  They do it to me in the Supra.  I only know all of these rules because I've sought legal advice on it (after having had ridiculous interactions with police pulling me over again, and again) and filed 2 complaints (received apologies from both) with 2 local police stations.  What struck me the most (or shocked me?) was that the police themselves didn't know that they were not allowed to ask certain questions when pulling you over for a random stop or during a RIDE program. 

but they don't do it when you're driving the Echo do they... Supras = heat ! :)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 09:39:16 pm »
That sounds like car profiling to me.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 09:48:38 pm »
That's about all he can ask unless someone specifically said they thought they saw weapons in your car.

he can make that up himself... i had cops looking thru my car in parking lots, i just open the doors, turn on the interior lights and let them get over with it... plus i don't mind my car's always clean and smelling nice :D
 it's an age thing... they won't do that to a 30+ yr old guy...

Yea?  They do it to me in the Supra.  I only know all of these rules because I've sought legal advice on it (after having had ridiculous interactions with police pulling me over again, and again) and filed 2 complaints (received apologies from both) with 2 local police stations.  What struck me the most (or shocked me?) was that the police themselves didn't know that they were not allowed to ask certain questions when pulling you over for a random stop or during a RIDE program. 

but they don't do it when you're driving the Echo do they... Supras = heat ! :)

Actually they do......Just last week as a matter of fact.  And the cop recognized me and said "Are you the guy with the black sports car?"  I said "Ya".  He says..."Have a nice night".  My co-worker also gets pulled over (we both work the night shift, so we are on our way home at 2-3 am).

Doesn't seem to matter what I'm driving....Honestly...I think most of the time they do it just to break up the monotony of their night.  I don't care if I get stopped...just as long as they don't ask the invasive questions.  Some of the questions I've been asked:

Where do you work?
Where do you live? (he has my license/ownership/insurance in hand with my address on it)
Where are you coming from?
Where are you going?
What were you doing tonite?
Who's car is this?
What do you do for a living?
How could you afford such an expensive car?
We stopped you because this looks like a "drug dealer's car" (in my Lexus).
Have you ever been arrested?

And the list goes on, and on.  Finally I got tired of the cowboys around here and sought legal help.  Learned my Charter of Rights. Filed a couple of complaints.  I gave them a chance to apologize before making these "official" Charter of Rights complaints.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:55:29 pm by rrocket »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 10:30:38 pm »
Never argue/hassle with cops at the scene.  It's always a lose-lose.  Hit them with official complaints afterwards if really warranted.

barrie1

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 10:32:30 pm »
You live in a Border town so I can understand why the Police are nervous in the middle of the night. I would just answer their questions Happily and be on my way. The last Constable i had a encounter with let me off of a hefty speeding charge as he couldn't quite nail a figur down. He went bye me and I stopped up ahead and waited for him. He was in total shock as I was completely polite to him and he was also back to me. We even shook hands at the end of the exchange as he was a real gentleman.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 10:34:15 pm »
Never argue/hassle with cops at the scene.  It's always a lose-lose.  Hit them with official complaints afterwards if really warranted.

My experience has been different. Once they know that I didn't just fall off the turnip truck (ie. I know what's legit and not or I produc the Charter Case notes) they tend to be alot more polite.  Although once the cop said I was just asking for an "swerver ticket" and I said "No problem, it will get thrown out after I file the complaint". I never did get the ticket........

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 10:39:34 pm »
You live in a Border town so I can understand why the Police are nervous in the middle of the night. I would just answer their questions Happily and be on my way. The last Constable i had a encounter with let me off of a hefty speeding charge as he couldn't quite nail a figur down. He went bye me and I stopped up ahead and waited for him. He was in total shock as I was completely polite to him and he was also back to me. We even shook hands at the end of the exchange as he was a real gentleman.  :)

It has nothing to do with it.  All of our crime statistics are down this year.  Significantly. 20.8% compared to last year.  With like 2-3 murders total.  And ZERO in the county where I live.  No excuse for police asking invasive questions. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:45:18 pm by rrocket »

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 05:44:42 am »
I have found that the younger cops are always asking ridiculous questions. Older cops are much better to deal with.    :)

unctuous

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 10:15:17 am »
. One of his questions was whether I have any bombs or rocket launchers on board. Not exactly a professional thing to ask (given my ethnic background). >:( >:( >:(

So you should get special treatment because of your "ethnic background"?  I've got news for you,  the cops ask everyone that question. 

If anybody is racist it is OZ.  He thinks that he should be treated differently because of his race ie not be qeustioned by the cops.

I have been asked the same question by a border control agent and like another poster said they are just looking for your reaction.  If you laugh and think it is a ridiculous question then you probably don't have it.

BTW a cop can ask you any question he wants as long as it is not leading to entrapment.  You do not have to answer them.

OZ your Charter rights were not violated.

von_khan

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 10:32:10 am »

If anybody is racist it is OZ.  He thinks that he should be treated differently because of his race ie not be qeustioned by the cops.

I have been asked the same question by a border control agent and like another poster said they are just looking for your reaction.  If you laugh and think it is a ridiculous question then you probably don't have it.

BTW a cop can ask you any question he wants as long as it is not leading to entrapment.  You do not have to answer them.

OZ your Charter rights were not violated.

I don't want special rights, I want my rights as a Canadian and visible minority respected. Associating me with enemies of this country through jest or otherwise is an attack on my person and patriotism for this country.

I cant believe you just called me a racist... 

unctuous

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 10:40:00 am »
I don't want special rights, I want my rights as a Canadian and visible minority respected.

I cant believe you just called me a racist... 

I can't believe I was called a racist either.  Didn't realize there were special rights for visible minorities.

Like I said I was asked that exact question before.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 10:40:39 am »
ok calm down or this thread gets the pad-lock.  Thanks.

Border guards different than cops.  The standard practice at the border is to ask you if you are carrying weapons.  AFAIK that is not standard practice by the local police.

Cortina

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 10:50:20 am »
I think being pulled has a lot to do with the car you drive. I think my friend you have whats called a puller. I bet if you dump your Bimmer and drove a Corolla you would go a lot more unnoticed.  :)