Author Topic: Speeding tickets in QC  (Read 10257 times)

von_khan

Speeding tickets in QC
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:39:15 am »
I know speeding tickets are a can of worms on this forum but I need some advice from our Quebec members.
I got booked in the middle of nowhere at 1 am in the Gateneau region along with 2 other cars. For some reason the officer let the others go and smacked me with a 4pt ticket without reduction. I'm not exactly happy about the latter part of this situation and was wondering if anyone has any experience with tickets in QC (I'm in ontario).

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Speeding tickets in QC
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:44:11 am »
Did the other two cars happen to have QC plates?  ;)

von_khan

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:46:32 am »
You must be psychic. ;)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1218
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:52:58 am »
Maybe off duty police officers or firemen in the other cars??? They are known to get free passes sometimes.

von_khan

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 11:21:17 am »
Maybe off duty police officers or firemen in the other cars??? They are known to get free passes sometimes.

Who knows.. I'm not going to dwell on it. The only thing is I'm not comfortable with getting the short straw so I get smacked by Ontario insurance.

So any advice or insight into how QC courts deal with this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:25:09 pm »
If you had a ON plate you are screwed in QC that's basically the rule, cops will target you guaranteed

von_khan

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 01:08:40 pm »
If you had a ON plate you are screwed in QC that's basically the rule, cops will target you guaranteed

Not just QC cops. I got pulled over on the way back from my Ottawa trip doing 110 on the 401 by an OPP cop that wanted to search my car and check my ID. One of his questions was whether I have any bombs or rocket launchers on board. Not exactly a professional thing to ask (given my ethnic background). >:( >:( >:(

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 01:23:33 pm »
One of his questions was whether I have any bombs or rocket launchers on board. Not exactly a professional thing to ask (given my ethnic background). >:( >:( >:(

I always laugh at that question because if you did, would you actually tell them?

von_khan

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 01:30:39 pm »
One of his questions was whether I have any bombs or rocket launchers on board. Not exactly a professional thing to ask (given my ethnic background). >:( >:( >:(

I always laugh at that question because if you did, would you actually tell them?

Actually I got pretty irritated, but didnt say much. I mean its onething if he was laughing and joking, this guy was serious. Naturally the next questions were whether I had drugs or if I was laundering money.

I just stood back and told him to go through my car and suit hanger.. get it over with so I could get on my way.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:32:51 pm by Oz »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 01:47:55 pm »
I know the police officers have a tough job, but still, ...  :P :P

I would reply " have month old Timmie's donut in the back, could be lethal."  :)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 02:31:15 pm »

Actually I got pretty irritated, but didnt say much. I mean its onething if he was laughing and joking, this guy was serious. Naturally the next questions were whether I had drugs or if I was laundering money.

I just stood back and told him to go through my car and suit hanger.. get it over with so I could get on my way.

You do realize, I hope, that he wasn't interested in what you said when he asked the question, he was interested in your body language and how you acted.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

unctuous

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 04:35:32 pm »
. One of his questions was whether I have any bombs or rocket launchers on board. Not exactly a professional thing to ask (given my ethnic background). >:( >:( >:(

So you should get special treatment because of your "ethnic background"?  I've got news for you,  the cops ask everyone that question. 

von_khan

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 04:58:31 pm »
. One of his questions was whether I have any bombs or rocket launchers on board. Not exactly a professional thing to ask (given my ethnic background). >:( >:( >:(

So you should get special treatment because of your "ethnic background"?  I've got news for you,  the cops ask everyone that question. 

None of my friends have ever been asked that question. Being middle eastern in origin you'll have to forgive me if I cringe at something like that.

Barring that, if you have problems with that you can shove it where the sun doesnt shine. Back to topic.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 05:37:11 pm »

:o :o :o  I don't know about anyone else here but I'm a middle aged WASP and I've NEVER been asked that question by a police officer

(I did have a Customs officer ask me once if I was carrying any "personal protection"....I was really shocked until I realized she meant pepper spray/mace etc and not condoms ;D )
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:41:37 pm by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 05:52:47 pm »

(I did have a Customs officer ask me once if I was carrying any "personal protection"....I was really shocked until I realized she meant pepper spray/mace etc and not condoms ;D )

:rofl:

Offline DoubleClutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 06:13:57 pm »
You do realize, I hope, that he wasn't interested in what you said when he asked the question, he was interested in your body language and how you acted.

That may be true but that's just a stupid question to ask. WTF, bombs and rocket launchers??? This isn't Afghanistan. Maybe if the question was about guns or drugs ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 06:16:06 pm »
I am  middle aged WASP as well and Customs/Police just say to me;  Welcome to xxxx/ Have a safe trip sir.
Where I used to live in Cabbagetown there was a driving offence called "driving while black"   After 9/11 it probably became "Driving while not WASP"    :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :shake:

When I lived in Montreal we assumed that the OPP were more likely to ticket PQ plates on the basis that EVERYONE in Quebec is either speeding, about to speed or has just been speeding.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 06:17:03 pm »
You didn't have to consent to him searching your car.  If he pulled you over for a driving infraction (random stop) that's where it begins and ends.  They have to have a good reason to search your car.  You can say no.

Ditto with his line of questioning.  He CAN ask to see ID, check the mechanical condition of your car, check your insurance, ask if you've been drinking.  That's about all he can ask unless someone specifically said they thought they saw weapons in your car.

Your Charter of Rights were violated my friend...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 06:19:39 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

vdk

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 07:12:20 pm »
That's about all he can ask unless someone specifically said they thought they saw weapons in your car.

he can make that up himself... i had cops looking thru my car in parking lots, i just open the doors, turn on the interior lights and let them get over with it... plus i don't mind my car's always clean and smelling nice :D
 it's an age thing... they won't do that to a 30+ yr old guy...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 07:29:41 pm »
That's about all he can ask unless someone specifically said they thought they saw weapons in your car.

he can make that up himself... i had cops looking thru my car in parking lots, i just open the doors, turn on the interior lights and let them get over with it... plus i don't mind my car's always clean and smelling nice :D
 it's an age thing... they won't do that to a 30+ yr old guy...

Yea?  They do it to me in the Supra.  I only know all of these rules because I've sought legal advice on it (after having had ridiculous interactions with police pulling me over again, and again) and filed 2 complaints (received apologies from both) with 2 local police stations.  What struck me the most (or shocked me?) was that the police themselves didn't know that they were not allowed to ask certain questions when pulling you over for a random stop or during a RIDE program.